PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

a34 oxford roadwork average speed check
modster76
post Wed, 19 May 2010 - 12:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,654

hello all, i was travelling southbound on the a34 oxford around 3 miles north of the a40 junction saw the sign for approaching roadworks and in the distance a big yellow specs cam, there was a 50 mph sign just before the cam to which i slowed down tothe correct speed from there to the next camera there was no other speed sign, untill just after the second camera there was a 40 mph sign!(this was just before my junction) this was a little confusing but it became more so after i had to use that strech of road 4 times that morning for various work reasons and later on i noticed that the intial 50 mph sign had gone and there was still no signs between the 1st two cameras so my question is what are the chances of me getting a NIP as it was very unclear to what the speed limit actually was between the 1st two cameras, there were many people overtaking me so they will have got a hell of a lot of people this mornig and they would be totally blameless,i have spoke to thames valley police and they told me to contact the local council who are now looking into this.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Advertisement
post Wed, 19 May 2010 - 12:56
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
henrik777
post Wed, 19 May 2010 - 14:25
Post #2

Member No.: 24,123

Unlikely. Most likely that they are setting up the site.

The requisite signs must be in place before the Temporary Traffic Regulation Order can take effect. They need the Temporary Traffic Regulation Order to change the speed limit. Rules.

If you are really worried then go take pics or a video then you could use this to defend yourself.

Cheers

+Quote Post
3phase278
post Sat, 22 May 2010 - 19:28
Post #3

Member No.: 37,726

Hi Modster - thank you for posting this - I'm in exactly the same boat wondering if anything will come through..

Last wednesday (19.5.10) I travellled from Staffs to Portsmouth and back, and around 11.50am was southbound on the A34.

What I did notice was signage saying 'Average speed check limit increased for safety'

But I saw no teminal signs whatsover before hitting the first new specs - due to traffic I was slowed to 50 between the new limit anyway

Obviously when the long standing 40 limit and established specs came into effect (maybe 1/3 mile later) I dropped to 40.

There were what looked like 'A boards' on the cent reservation, but these seemed to be covered with what looked like a black gauze material within the sign itself?? (not just a sack thrown over it) I don't know if this gauze is some new style of electronic signage? Had to focus more on the road on that section and couldn't get good long hard look, same on way back up too

I do over 40,000 miles pa / have done for last 14 years all over UK and Eire and have clean license - I will go ballistic on them if I get an NIP for this - I won't know for maybe 2 months though due to company car....

Thanks again for flagging it up - guess it's a waiting game...

Best regards

This post has been edited by 3phase278: Sat, 22 May 2010 - 19:30

+Quote Post
RussWWFC
post Sat, 12 Sep 2015 - 01:06
Post #4

Member No.: 3,905

Dragging this up as I had a similar experience on the A34 towards Oxford tonight.

Roadworks coming up, from what I remember 50MPH speed sign at the start, though maybe I imagined it as it's the going rate. Fine, I put the cruise control on at 52 as I am happy to obey the average speedcheck.

However part way through the roadworks, I notice a sign saying 40, I put the brakes on and slow down to 35 to compensate, but about 15 seconds later, the roadworks are finished. It was 11.30 at night and with minimal traffic

+Quote Post
Stacker
post Thu, 1 Oct 2015 - 23:00
Post #5

Member No.: 69,617

Working in this area quite often, I believe it's always been this way.

If you are talking about southbound, it starts 50, then goes down to 40. At one point it went down to 30 but believe that bit has gone now.

Not sure how they work out an average on that, but my boss did 50 the whole way through and never heard anything so possibly cameras are set to 50mph and they're just trying to scare people into slowing down?

Would be interesting to know...

+Quote Post
Lucifa
post Mon, 5 Oct 2015 - 17:21
Post #6

Member No.: 51,440

I know this section well, it's on my daily commute.

I'm confused about it as the road goes:

50 sign - 100yards - camera1 - 40 sign - 100y - camera2 - more cameras further down

So camera1 starts clocking you, and the second is a check of your average speed right? But you've already passed through 2 changes of speed so which one is it measuring?

Personally, I've done more than 50 through the whole section and not heard anything either...

+Quote Post
Greek God
post Wed, 7 Oct 2015 - 00:48
Post #7

Member No.: 27,509

Hi
On a similar vein - SPECS cameras observe each lane but are they programmed to account for lane changes? Also if you miss one (obscured by HGV)!will the next pick up from the first? If that makes sense!

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Wed, 7 Oct 2015 - 08:56
Post #8

Member No.: 49,223

The 'single lane' ruse was fixed in February 2008.

They operate in pairs, you just don't know which are 'paired'...

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
trubster
post Sun, 25 Oct 2015 - 02:18
Post #9

Member No.: 17,078

Video available here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkjd0r7pzo7tj3q/2...57_118.MOV?dl=0

I asked nearly the same questions - http://www.pepipoo.com/forums/lofiversion/...php/t98104.html

--------------------
ParkingEye Ltd
Roxburghe (UK) Limited
Imperial Civil Enforcement Solutions
Car Park Services Limited
Kernow Parking Solutions (KPS)
Smart Parking Limited also trading as Town & City Parking

Be careful what you say about your case, WE ARE BEING WATCHED!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 15:10
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here