PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

NIP non signing in Scotland, Got a visit from the Police... what next?
Laughingboy
post Wed, 27 Sep 2006 - 14:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,905

Right, firstly I live in the Grampian region of Scotland and followed the NIP wizard to help me out...

I got caught overtaking on a nice long clear straight by one of Grampians Scammers. I duely recieved the NIP as expected and did the right thing of not signing it and sending it back.

Well it returned again so it got sent back again... and again and again and finally again!

All went quiet till one day I was working away from home when my phone goes and its my mother. Two police officers had appeared on the door looking for me. She told them I was working away from home like I normally do and wouldn't be back for a few months which is correct. They kept asking her where I was but my mother, bless her heart hasn't a clue where I am!

What shocked her was there just walked straight into the bloody kitchen after knocking on the window, nearly gave my poor old cheese a heart attack!

They finally left and told her to get me in touch with me and ask me to phone them!!

My question is this, If I do get them round again when I come home what is the next step? I wish to fight this thing tooth and nail as I was clocked at 71 in a 60 overtaking a lorry on a dry clear day! I feel that my actions are entirly justifable and my speed was justified and not exssesive. I flatly refuse to line the pockets of these scammers!

Any help would be greatly recieved.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Advertisement
post Wed, 27 Sep 2006 - 14:33
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
firefly
post Wed, 27 Sep 2006 - 15:37
Post #2

Member No.: 298

It's becoming more and more frequent to have plod pay you a personal visit.

The best thing to do is to keep schtum for the forseeable. Mum's the word, so to speak...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Barking Mad
post Wed, 27 Sep 2006 - 21:24
Post #3

Member No.: 3,017

If, by some unlucky chance, you should bump into them before it all times out... As they intoroduce themselves to you remember to ask them

"Officer(s), do you believe a crime has been committed?"

They will have to say yes to that

"Do you believe I am a suspect in relation to the crime?"

They will have to say yes to this too - and if they don't go onto.... ask

"Are you going to caution me as to my rights"

They should do - "You have the right to remain silent"

So exercise that right. Tell them you have nothing to say other than would they please shut the gate on the way out

--------------------
If it's brown, got feathers, webbed feet, wings, a beak, waddles and goes quack-quack and looks like a duck:
It's probably a duck...

If it seems like an extortion racket, is operated like an extrortion racket, is run by an organised gang just like an extortion racket (the police are the biggest 'gang' in the country), if it is just like reasoning with any Mafiosa racketeer where any victim's observations are cast aside in the ultimate quest for ¢a$h, then it probably is an extortion racket.

Or as I like to call it State Sponsored Theft

Remember you have a vote at the next local and general elections: Tell your currently elected representatives how you feel.
Make sure you go and vote !!!

+Quote Post
jeffreyarcher
post Thu, 28 Sep 2006 - 03:01
Post #4

Member No.: 134

QUOTE (Laughingboy @ Wed, 27 Sep 2006 - 15:33) *
My question is this, If I do get them round again when I come home what is the next step?

QUOTE (firefly @ Wed, 27 Sep 2006 - 16:37) *
The best thing to do is to keep schtum for the forseeable. Mum's the word, so to speak...

IMO, in Scotland, if they manage to make a verbal S172 requirement, then you must supply, or be successfully prosecuted for S172.
That, of course, does not mean that you have to chase them up.

QUOTE (Barking Mad @ Wed, 27 Sep 2006 - 22:24) *
If, by some unlucky chance, you should bump into them before it all times out... As they intoroduce themselves to you remember to ask them
"Officer(s), do you believe a crime has been committed?"
They will have to say yes to that
"Do you believe I am a suspect in relation to the crime?"
They will have to say yes to this too - and if they don't go onto.... ask
"Are you going to caution me as to my rights"
They should do - "You have the right to remain silent"
So exercise that right. Tell them you have nothing to say other than would they please shut the gate on the way out

Not in Scotland.

+Quote Post
Mr Rusty
post Thu, 28 Sep 2006 - 06:22
Post #5

Member No.: 984

[quote] verbal S172 requirement/quote]

I have seen you say this before. What is the basis for this opinion when going way back a verbal S172 response in England wasn't accepted, and S172 itself appears to intended for written statements. I would love to see a S172 prosecution where the "information" had been supplied unsigned butthe basis of the prosecution was thatthe suspect wouldn't converse with plod without a caution!

+Quote Post
10 Bears
post Thu, 28 Sep 2006 - 06:49
Post #6

Member No.: 1,977

Forgive me if I am being dense, but isn't this exactly what you want them to do?
ie INVESTIGATE this TERRIBLE CRIMINAL OFFENCE.
If they were required to interview every suspeced offender detected by camera, and caution them, then we would soon see these minor speeding infringments take their rightful place in the prioritys of the plod, when they actually have to direct resourses at them.

+Quote Post
firefly
post Thu, 28 Sep 2006 - 07:00
Post #7

Member No.: 298

QUOTE (10 Bears @ Thu, 28 Sep 2006 - 07:49) *

Forgive me if I am being dense, but isn't this exactly what you want them to do?
ie INVESTIGATE this TERRIBLE CRIMINAL OFFENCE.
If they were required to interview every suspeced offender detected by camera, and caution them, then we would soon see these minor speeding infringments take their rightful place in the prioritys of the plod, when they actually have to direct resourses at them.
You are, of course, correct - but it's scant consolation when they do chap your door!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy L
post Thu, 28 Sep 2006 - 09:38
Post #8

Member No.: 772

QUOTE (firefly @ Thu, 28 Sep 2006 - 08:00) *
You are, of course, correct - but it's scant consolation when they do chap your door!

But, as those of us here who have taken their cases to court know - once you have faced your fear it seems much less daunting than it did. In short what doen't kill you makes you stronger.

Andy

--------------------
"As soon as laws are necessary for men, they are no longer fit for freedom."

Pythagorus (fl. 6th century BC)

+Quote Post
Prof
post Thu, 28 Sep 2006 - 10:01
Post #9

Member No.: 5,095

"But, as those of us here who have taken their cases to court know - once you have faced your fear it seems much less daunting than it did. In short what doen't kill you makes you stronger."

Totally agreed with Andy L there. its the threat of court action that put the majority of law abiding folks into extreme terror. They sign the form post the cheque and collect the points.

I sat with knees knocking first time round at my ID last month, but guess what, it aint a big deal. Ive had worse situations in my life to deal with. The system is geared up to deal with mass prosecution of mostly chav offences. Even the prosecution admitted to me that they dont like our type of cases as there is too much scientific and legal work involved. Unless your up against a CPS/PF that wants to make a mark youll have either:

- A young post graduate clocking his hours up
- Lawyers who couldnt make it on their own

Just ask your local plod of their opinion of the cps/pf. Youll probably find that plod spends a huge amount of time and effort to get a case to court only to find the prosecution cock it up.

My opinion, based on a number of experiences with the PF (mostly as a victim but in this case the accused) is that this is a training ground for them to acquire the skills necessary for them to become successful practive lawyers in their own right.

BR Prof

+Quote Post
pauliexjr
post Thu, 28 Sep 2006 - 13:22
Post #10

Member No.: 5,154

Out of curiosity, how long ago was the alleged offence? If you've been playing NIP tennis for as long as you seem to you could well be rapidly approaching the 6-month time-out. Miss them for a few more weeks and all could be hunky-dory biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Laughingboy
post Sat, 30 Sep 2006 - 23:23
Post #11

Member No.: 7,905

Good point... think I'm extremely close to the 6 month mark to be honest. I'll have to double check my dates!

Well no sign of them at my door again as of yet so fingers crossed... and to think I'll be in Oban for the next few months as well... hehe tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 21st October 2019 - 01:33
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.