PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Speeding fine after road works made me get off the m4 and i ended up taking m32 to get onto m5, Speeding fine 51 in 40 on m32 servern beach rail line overbridge
Abzg2k19
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 12:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107,338

Hi,

So i was on the m4 around 4am and i turned off the m4 as there was roadworks and got directed off i needed to catch the m5 which i could have done if i continued on m4 but as i got directed of my maps ended up taking me onto the m32 to get onto the m5. I did not see any speed limit signs so i continued doing 50 and ended up doing 51 in a 40 zone but i did not see any signs and i would have not got a speeding fine if i did not turn off at m4 because of road works and now i think they done that on purpose as the only way i could see to the m5 was to continue on m4 or get off to go onto m32 to go onto m5.

That day my maps did not show any road works that are going on till we were told to turn off and when i did turn off the maps was still telling me to go onto the m4 when there was road works.

So just woundering where i stand as this is my first offence ever and i have been passed for 10 years if there was signs to tell me the speed limit i would have stuck to it as i dont really speed anyway.

What really irrates me even more is that the same camara is named as Britain's most prolific after raking in 5.7m in fines so i got a feeling as my maps did not show me road works that they shut the m4 just so people can use the m32 to get a speed fine.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 12:39
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
NewJudge
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 12:54
Post #2

Member No.: 23,623

Are you seriously suggesting that the diversion was set up in the middle of the night simply to force drivers down a road with a lower speed limit so that they might be caught speeding?

That aside (which forms no defence whatsoever) you will have choices. After you have named yourself as the driver you will almost certainly be offered a speed awareness course for that speed. You could accept that, or the next offer which will be a fixed penalty of £100 and three points. If you do not take up either of those you will face prosecution in court. You could plead guilty or you could defend the charge. Just about the only defence I could see succeeding is if the limit was not properly signed. Do you have the location where the offence is said to have occurred? If you provide it someone might look up the area to see if the necessary signs are in place.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 13:02
Post #3

Member No.: 317

If there really were no signs telling you of a 40 limit then you would have a defence.

All the rest about maps, roadworks and diversions is irrelevant, as in completely irrelevant, this much should be obvious to you really. As for 'doing it on purpose' - no that's really not a thing and is rather an immature suggestion to be honest.

The Road contractor will almost certainly have routine inspections of the signage, and while I'm somewhat cynical about the quality of these checks, you would have to rebut the evidence and the only way realistically is to check existing dashcam or go back and check if the restriction is still in place and correctly signed.

I did not see any speed limit signs so i continued doing 50
Does not ring true, if you didn't see any signs at all why would you not be doing 70?

Do you mean the M49? The M32 doesn't go near Severn Beach. Can you complete the NIP wizard as noted in the 'read this first BEFORE posting' sticky or at least give us the full location from the NIP.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 13:06

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Abzg2k19
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 13:39
Post #4

That must be the case i left Cornwall at 1.30am and nowhere on the maps did it say that the m4 will be closed and nor did it say that the route has to be rerouted because of roadworks when i left the m4 and approached the roundabout it was still telling me to carry on going straight back towards the m4 so the road works must have started that night.

I think i did see a sign just before telling me 50 just before so i stuck to 50 it says on the letter on 15/06/2022 at 4.28 at m32 Severn beach rail line overbridge to end of m32 southbound, Bristol who allegedly committed offence of speeding- exceed 40mph special road/motorway limit-acd.

I tried using the wizard first but it said something about i did not answer the questions correctly and cannot use it i am new to this so i am not entirely sure how to do it.

I also do not live near Bristol i live 2hr and 30 mins away so i cannot really return to see if there are signs there or not and the pas doesn't really show much information just the picture of the vehicles.

Thanks

+Quote Post
gilan02
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 14:04
Post #5

Member No.: 47,856

I do live near Bristol and I would have said that the 40mph sign was quite obvious.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 14:21
Post #6

The Wizard works, you just need to use it, including the additional questions accessed via the additional questions button.

As already pointed out the reason you were there is irrelevant, so no point keep mentioning it, the primary source of data for driving is your eyeball!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
FuzzyDuck
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 14:53
Post #7

Member No.: 112,702

The bottom end of the M32 has a fixed 40MPH limit enforced by an average speed system. You must have passed this sign:

M32 40MPH Limit start

+Quote Post
Lodesman
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 14:54
Post #8

Member No.: 22,623

I use the M32 regularly and, driving from the M4 towards Bristol, there are large permanent 40mph limit signs on the M32 just before the B4469 slip road off the M32. This 40 mph limit continues into Bristol where it reduces to 30mph entering the city.
This 40 mph limit has been there for some years and is very obvious.

This post has been edited by Lodesman: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 15:01

+Quote Post
Ahelpinggand
post Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 20:30
Post #9

Member No.: 110,385

Indeed as others have stated the limit is extremely signposted with large terminal signs and multiple repeaters

+Quote Post
BertB
post Wed, 22 Jun 2022 - 08:38
Post #10

Member No.: 51,087

I'm with others who are confused by the location given, however if that is what the NIP says and you do remember going down the M32 then that is what it is. 'Severn Beach rail line overbridge', while being a long way from Severn Beach, it does look like at just before J3 (southbound) you go under a rail line that does run out that way.

https://goo.gl/maps/RjrdrnPCXqh3eqNQ6

There also happens to be a speed sign with '40' on it just before

However, while not relevant to the case, for curiosities sake only: you left Cornwall at 1.30am and wanted to be on the M5. But got diverted off of the M4 (Eastbound, I presume) onto the M32 because of roadworks...

Why was you on the M4 if you wanted to be heading up the M5? You would have already been on the M5 coming up from Devon/Somerset?

+Quote Post
thisisntme
post Wed, 22 Jun 2022 - 17:38
Post #11

Member No.: 70,566

The speed limit goes from 70 to 60 to 40 within a mile. All well signposted.

--------------------
I reserve the right to be wrong.

+Quote Post
Ahelpinggand
post Wed, 22 Jun 2022 - 20:34
Post #12

The Severn beach line is referring to the rail line bridge that is all

+Quote Post
baroudeur
post Thu, 23 Jun 2022 - 14:31
Post #13

Member No.: 73,212

QUOTE (BertB @ Wed, 22 Jun 2022 - 09:38) *
I'm with others who are confused by the location given, however if that is what the NIP says and you do remember going down the M32 then that is what it is. 'Severn Beach rail line overbridge', while being a long way from Severn Beach, it does look like at just before J3 (southbound) you go under a rail line that does run out that way.

https://goo.gl/maps/RjrdrnPCXqh3eqNQ6

There also happens to be a speed sign with '40' on it just before

However, while not relevant to the case, for curiosities sake only: you left Cornwall at 1.30am and wanted to be on the M5. But got diverted off of the M4 (Eastbound, I presume) onto the M32 because of roadworks...

Why was you on the M4 if you wanted to be heading up the M5? You would have already been on the M5 coming up from Devon/Somerset?

We don't know the intended destination but assume it was further north via the M5 after Bristol.

He was northbound on M5 and then found himself on the A4 near Bristol, probably by taking the wrong lane at Almondsbury. His satnav then tries to get him back on the M5 which puts him on M32 towards Bristol probably intending a U-turn back to the M4 at J1. He seems to have missed turning at J1 and J2 and ended up at the end of the M32 in Bristol.

A diversion from the northbound M5 to the M4 seems unlikely and roadworks on the M4 are a red herring as the M32 would be the redirect satnav route back to the M5.

+Quote Post
Ahelpinggand
post Thu, 23 Jun 2022 - 19:34
Post #14

OP says he was on the M4 heading towards M5. Suspect diversion was via M32 down to the portway (A4) to rejoin M5 SB or as above has missed J1 & J2 to link up to the A38

+Quote Post
Rallyman72
post Thu, 23 Jun 2022 - 20:11
Post #15

Member No.: 3,385

QUOTE (Ahelpinggand @ Thu, 23 Jun 2022 - 20:34) *
OP says he was on the M4 heading towards M5. Suspect diversion was via M32 down to the portway (A4) to rejoin M5 SB or as above has missed J1 & J2 to link up to the A38

Hang on - OP said he left Cornwall at 01:30 and was on the M4 at 04:00 trying to get to the M5 so he wasn't trying to join the M5 southbound unless he was going back to Cornwall for some reason. I think he will have been trying to go northbound. Your suggestion doesn't add up as he would have been on the M5 from Exeter to Bristol. So how/why was he on the M4 trying to join the M5. I think Baroudeur has it somewhere near correct as you can end up on the M4 if you keep left at Almondsbury Interchange. M32 is then the first option to turn around when heading east, even so that would mean a trip down the M32 as suggested.

QUOTE (Abzg2k19 @ Tue, 21 Jun 2022 - 14:39) *
That must be the case i left Cornwall at 1.30am and nowhere on the maps did it say that the m4 will be closed and nor did it say that the route has to be rerouted because of roadworks when i left the m4 and approached the roundabout it was still telling me to carry on going straight back towards the m4 so the road works must have started that night.

I think i did see a sign just before telling me 50 just before so i stuck to 50 it says on the letter on 15/06/2022 at 4.28 at m32 Severn beach rail line overbridge to end of m32 southbound, Bristol who allegedly committed offence of speeding- exceed 40mph special road/motorway limit-acd.

I tried using the wizard first but it said something about i did not answer the questions correctly and cannot use it i am new to this so i am not entirely sure how to do it.

I also do not live near Bristol i live 2hr and 30 mins away so i cannot really return to see if there are signs there or not and the pas doesn't really show much information just the picture of the vehicles.

Thanks

--------------------
The accident was caused by cockpit thrombosis - a dangerous clot between seatback and steering wheel ...

1. Read this first
2. Nip Wizard
Parking tickets - council - 0, Rallyman - 1

+Quote Post
Ahelpinggand
post Sat, 25 Jun 2022 - 09:27
Post #16

You're correct, hadn't noticed the further response.

+Quote Post
Abzg2k19
post Wed, 29 Jun 2022 - 17:08
Post #17

https://postimg.cc/PN0RyyWq

Sorry been very busy but thank you for all the replies.

but i had all the information wrong i dont know what happend that day but yes i was on the m5 got dirverted off because of road works which i think was for only a 200 yards as i just looked on the timeline on google maps which u can see above on the link and somehow went back onto the m5.

It was my first time going down them sides and maybe because i was diverted off i was too busy trying to get back onto m5 and have missed the sign for the 40 speed limit.

I dont think i really have a case so i think i will just have accept the fine.

+Quote Post
baroudeur
post Thu, 30 Jun 2022 - 14:28
Post #18

Member No.: 73,212

QUOTE (Abzg2k19 @ Wed, 29 Jun 2022 - 18:08) *

but i had all the information wrong i dont know what happend that day but yes i was on the m5 got dirverted off because of road works which i think was for only a 200 yards as i just looked on the timeline on google maps which u can see above on the link and somehow went back onto the m5.

It was my first time going down them sides and maybe because i was diverted off i was too busy trying to get back onto m5 and have missed the sign for the 40 speed limit.

Perhaps driving overnight was not a wise move and you were tired? It is most unlikely there was a diversion from the M5 northbound onto the M4 eastbound as the A38 n/b at junction 16 would be more likely, which you missed and, as a result, you had no alternative to being diverted onto the M4.

As you went around Bristol city centre on the A38 then back onto the M32/M4 it seems you also missed a lot of satnav attempts to get you back onto the M5.

QUOTE (Abzg2k19 @ Wed, 29 Jun 2022 - 18:08) *

Perhaps driving overnight was not a wise move and you were tired? It is most unlikely there was a diversion from the M5 northbound onto the M4 eastbound as the A38 n/b at junction 16 would be more likely, which you missed and, as a result, you had no alternative to being diverted onto the M4.

As you went around Bristol city centre on the A38 then back onto the M32/M4 it seems you also missed a lot of satnav attempts to get you back onto the M5.

+Quote Post
Abzg2k19
post Sun, 3 Jul 2022 - 21:38
Post #19

Yh i think i was tired but i did have a couple of hours rest before hand but looks like that didn't make a difference lol.

One last question my tax was due on 30th may and at the same time taxing it i had to change one letter in my name so i sent the log book off same time i got taxed 2 weeks later i get the fine but its still in my old name for example i needed to change ed to ad so the fine name is currently ed and even my driving licence is in ad now as i have recently renewed it one month prior to my tax finishing.

Just woundering where i stand with that do i need to tell them they have sent it in the wrong name or should i just fill it in using my new letters name.

Thanks

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Yesterday, 07:22
Post #20

You complete it in your correct name.

They may then send you a new form addressed to your correct name to complete.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 5th July 2022 - 11:58
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.