Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

PCN Elizabeth Avenue & New North Road N1 -restricted hours
surreyDDD
post Wed, 24 Jun 2020 - 11:59
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108,958

Hi,

I would like to thank the thread ( http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=129451) for the advice given, especially mmn999.

I received a PCN from London Borough of Islington on 17th December 2019 for turning right into Elizabeth Avenue from New North Road. I challenged the PCN on 2 grounds; too many signs at entrance of Elizabeth Avenue and no advance warning sign from New North Road.

Islington rejected my grounds on the basis that under the Highway code, it is the driver's responsibility to take note of the signs and to make sure they understand any information provided. They also state that there is no requirement for advance warning signs to be erected.

I took this further to Appeal, after revisiting site and understanding that they had not considered the grounds carefully enough.

After the Appeal had been logged, Islington Council posted out copies of their case summary stating that I was mistaken with advance warning sign. They showed a close up photo of an advance warning sign along with a date stamp of 21st December 2019. Why was this not disclosed at the time of their rejection? The date stamp was taken after the PCN issued so potentially, it could have been erected the day after the PCN issue.

Furthermore, Islington council decided to continue with the case and I received a Charge Certificate from them on the morning of the hearing date, stating that the amount of £195 must be paid, based on one of the 4 reasons; no representations were made, no appeal was made, the appeal was unsuccessful or the appeal was withdrawn. None of these were correct.

I just want to let others know that if they have received a ticket for this road, please do challenge it. We discussed a number of flaws with their signage and disclosure of photos. Their letter issued to us was just plain rudeness, the appeal adjudicator also agreed this. Do not let them push you into paying the fine as it is simply a cash cow. Happy to share some of the comments made in the appeal on the signage but all in all, a lengthy process but one that proved Islington council were wrong.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Advertisement
post Wed, 24 Jun 2020 - 11:59
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
stamfordman
post Wed, 24 Jun 2020 - 12:24
Post #2

Member No.: 59,924

I take it you won the appeal - post the decision.

We've seen a lot of cases in this school street but the key one for appeal is the right turn from New North Road. Most we have seen are coming the other way.

+Quote Post
surreyDDD
post Wed, 24 Jun 2020 - 12:38
Post #3

Member No.: 108,958

Yes, appeal won!
Given the grounds for my appeal, I would urge both left and right turns into Elizabeth Avenue to be challenged as the amount of reading required for all those signs is not reasonable, on top of the safety of other road users and pedestrians.
The adjudicator allowed the appeal on the basis that Islington council failed to produce clear evidence on the advance warning signs. Islington contradicted themselves by stating that on one hand, advance warning signs were not required, and then producing a close up photo (not in context to the surroundings) afterwards.

+Quote Post
Incandescent
post Wed, 24 Jun 2020 - 17:00
Post #4

Member No.: 54,455

QUOTE (surreyDDD @ Wed, 24 Jun 2020 - 13:38) *
Yes, appeal won!
Given the grounds for my appeal, I would urge both left and right turns into Elizabeth Avenue to be challenged as the amount of reading required for all those signs is not reasonable, on top of the safety of other road users and pedestrians.
The adjudicator allowed the appeal on the basis that Islington council failed to produce clear evidence on the advance warning signs. Islington contradicted themselves by stating that on one hand, advance warning signs were not required, and then producing a close up photo (not in context to the surroundings) afterwards.

Well done, can you give us the Case Number please.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 14th July 2020 - 12:54
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.