Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Pisa Speeding Fine and Waters & Gate Collection Proceedings
DeWin
post Tue, 3 Dec 2019 - 19:58
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,916

Hi everyone,

I need some help please. While on holiday in Italy in July 2018 I was apparently clocked doing 117km in a 90km zone. Which is contentious as I'm very diligent when driving, as I am disabled, but it's possible I guess. In January 2019 the Province of Pisa sent me a letter saying about a fine I had incurred for the speeding fine. I had signed for the letter as I was expecting one from a friend of mine who lives in Pisa. However since receiving the letter I have been placed on the highest strength morphine patches for pain relief due to an accident and completely forgot about the letter from Pisa till now. Waters & Gate a collection service have sent me a letter threatening all sorts if I don't cough up the penalty fee of £600.82. I rang them today and asked for proof as I don't recall the incident and they sent an image of my car etc.

I always thought that these things would be done through the authorities and not through some random collection agency, or have I got that wrong? Surely any penalty should be paid to the authorities? I would really like to know where I stand here. It's pretty scary and I definitely can't afford £600.82. Do the collection agency have any authority here? Can they take me to court and does this affect my credit rating? Apologies for so many questions, just a little bit anxious right now and my head is spinning.

I tried uploading the letter from Waters & Gate, but I just got a notice saying I haven't selected an upload.

--------------------
DeWin60
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Advertisement
post Tue, 3 Dec 2019 - 19:58
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 3 Dec 2019 - 21:46
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

The Italians have a reputation for trying to use collection agencies because they want the money. As you correctly suggest, the proper channel is for the money to be paid to the authorities, in this case your local Magistrates' Court, however if they go down that route, the money doesn't get sent back to Italy.

Waters & Gate have no legal standing and can take no action, so if you ignore them they'll send a few more scary letters and eventually stop.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
DeWin
post Wed, 4 Dec 2019 - 23:05
Post #3

Member No.: 106,916

Thank you so much for your reply. That's one hell of a worry off my mind. smile.gif

--------------------
DeWin60

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Sunday, 15th December 2019 - 05:38
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.