PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

PCN - 32D - Failing to drive in the direction shown by the arrow on a blue sign
Parking Idiot
post Thu, 14 Nov 2019 - 10:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,517

hi, I got this ticket near West Croydon station for driving the wrong way down one way street, the signage seemed quite unclear,
and there was another car in front of me going the same way as far as I could tell. I already sent an appeal which they've rejected, all
the paperwork is posted below. Any advice much appreciated.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Advertisement
post Thu, 14 Nov 2019 - 10:39
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
stamfordman
post Thu, 14 Nov 2019 - 10:54
Post #2

Member No.: 59,924

Unless there's an issue with the paperwork I would pay the discount.

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Thu, 14 Nov 2019 - 12:06
Post #3

Member No.: 74,048

First, the contravention cited is a contravention against a sign. In order that this can be so the sign must be a schedule 36 sign (s36 of RTA 1988) The sign in situ is not

The PCN misstates the date by which they may serve a charge certificate. In this case truncating it by 2 days

The notice of rejection is rubbish it describes bus lane signs, but that is not the contravention, it also describes a circular s36 sign that is not in place

The NOR also describes the date of service as (delivered) this is not correct. service is legally defined as being 2 working days after posting unless this is rebutted

There is a fair chance of getting this cancelled

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 14 Nov 2019 - 13:13
Post #4

Member No.: 42,618

I agree with everything except the CC date is ambiguous rather than clearly wrong. Two 28 day periods are given on the PCN, but the CC wording doesn't say which 28 day period it's referring to. Still, there's plenty to go on.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
Parking Idiot
post Thu, 14 Nov 2019 - 14:07
Post #5

Thanks very much, will draft an appeal and post it here shortly.

+Quote Post
Parking Idiot
post Wed, 20 Nov 2019 - 13:46
Post #6

That's done, I reworded the above slightly and submitted online.

The contravention cited is a contravention against a sign. In order that this can be so the sign must be a schedule 36 sign (s36 of RTA 1988). The sign in situ is not.

The PCN misstates the date by which a charge certificate can be served. In this case truncating it by 2 days.

The notice of rejection describes bus lane signs, but that is not the contravention, it also describes a circular s36 sign that is not in place.

Will let you know how it goes.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Wed, 20 Nov 2019 - 14:10
Post #7

Member No.: 42,618

I would have posted a draft on here first, while all those points are valid they needed a little bit of elaboration. Anyway, let's see what the council does.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Wed, 20 Nov 2019 - 14:55
Post #8

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Wed, 20 Nov 2019 - 14:10) *
I would have posted a draft on here first, while all those points are valid they needed a little bit of elaboration. Anyway, let's see what the council does.

save for later

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
Parking Idiot
post Thu, 26 Dec 2019 - 09:53
Post #9

Appeal was successful.

Adjudicator's Reasons

The Council's case is that the Appellant's vehicle failed to drive in the direction shown by an arrow on a blue
sign in North End, Croydon, on 7 October 2019. A penalty charge notice was issued at 1809.

The Appellant states that the sign must be a "section 36 sign" and the sign in situ is not a section 36 sign; that
the PCN mistakes the date by which a child certificate can be served by truncating by two days and that the
notice of rejection describes bus lane signs and a circular section 36 sign, that is not the one in place. He has
supplied some unexplained black-and-white images and a copy of the notice of rejection.

The Council rely upon their CCTV footage. The footage supplied shows traffic in London Road at 8 AM on 7
October 2019. Despite calling assistance from the tribunal's IT department, it was not possible for me to view
any footage of the Appellant's vehicle at the time of the alleged contravention. I do not consider it
proportionate to adjourn this case for the Council to provide a working copy of the correct CCTV footage.

Accordingly, the appeal is allowed. No other issue needs to be determined.

Thanks very much for all the help.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 2nd June 2020 - 01:05
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.