PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Seatbelt, Police lying about not wearing one
Ringsey
post Sun, 10 Nov 2019 - 17:03
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,560

Hi it’s a long story so I’ll shorten it but bottom line is I was pulled over in way to work and breathtested and drug swabbed(was a first for me)well I came back positive for cannabis in my system(I had smoked 2 days prior at a party)anyway he nicked me took me to the station for a blood test etc well long and short of it they couldn’t get any blood from me so let me go no charges...well Wednesday I got a letter in the post about being reported for no seatbelt,but I had my seatbelt on do I just pay and take the online course ir do I go to court and argue it out?(knowing it’ll be my word against the coppers)
Thanx in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Advertisement
post Sun, 10 Nov 2019 - 17:03
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 10 Nov 2019 - 18:51
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

If your defence was that they are lying then you will lose. (And will be costly)

Of course, they were mistaken - but there is no guarantee you will win. (A contested trail could see costs of £600+)

This post has been edited by Jlc: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 - 18:51

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 10 Nov 2019 - 19:50
Post #3

Member No.: 42,618

I think a seatbelt course is something like £36.

There are various options, both court and non-court that I can think of to try and fight this, but you'd get nothing for your time and the rate of return would be less than minimum wage. If it's going to take you 10 hours of work (research, letters etc...) for your position to be vindicated, this only equates to a saving of £3.60 per hour of effort. Doesn't really seem worth the hassle even if the coppers did make a mistake.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sun, 10 Nov 2019 - 20:13
Post #4

Member No.: 38,559

Certain it is the same specific instance?

The way you phrase it makes me wonder if some kind hearted soul with a Go Pro sent in a video and this is the result?
"...about being reported..."

+Quote Post
Incandescent
post Sun, 10 Nov 2019 - 20:15
Post #5

Member No.: 54,455

Or in other words, the police can act like an army of occupation and get away with it.

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Yesterday, 12:01
Post #6

Member No.: 23,623

QUOTE (Incandescent @ Sun, 10 Nov 2019 - 20:15) *
Or in other words, the police can act like an army of occupation and get away with it.

I think equating a police officer who has taken action for somebody who allegedly failed to wear a seatbelt (whether he was "mistaken" or not) with an "army of occupation" is perhaps a little bit of an exaggeration. I suppose anybody who was in France or even Guernsey during WW2 might be able to explain the difference.

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Yesterday, 20:02
Post #7

Member No.: 1,326

Sounds like they were determined to get the OP on something.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 12th November 2019 - 11:56
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.