Post #

Advertise here!

Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 08:11
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,602

Why would they need to come up with a story?

Please tell us exactly what happened, including full details of the NIP.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 08:16
Post #3

Member No.: 317

So despite the best efforts of wha I assume were event Marshall’s you managed to still drive down a one way street, something they were presumably trying to prevent?

You have a wait now to see if they decide to report you or not.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Sdracing
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 08:28
Post #4

Member No.: 104,252

This post has been edited by Sdracing: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 - 08:11

+Quote Post
Logician
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 10:48
Post #5

Member No.: 36,528

I was leaving an event and misconstrued the signs. I ended up driving the wrong way up a one way street

I was driving the normal correct way for turning right.

Please reconcile these statements, do you mean it was usually the route but had been changed on this occasion?

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 10:58
Post #6

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (Sdracing @ Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 08:50) *
I was leaving an event and misconstrued the signs. I ended up driving the wrong way up a one way street.

What sign did you "misconstrue"? Was it a large red disc with a white horizontal bar?

+Quote Post
Sdracing
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 11:07
Post #7

QUOTE (Logician @ Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 11:48) *
I was leaving an event and misconstrued the signs. I ended up driving the wrong way up a one way street

I was driving the normal correct way for turning right.

Please reconcile these statements, do you mean it was usually the route but had been changed on this occasion?

Yes. They applied a coning system . So I got confused

QUOTE (666 @ Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 11:58) *
QUOTE (Sdracing @ Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 08:50) *
I was leaving an event and misconstrued the signs. I ended up driving the wrong way up a one way street.

What sign did you "misconstrue"? Was it a large red disc with a white horizontal bar?

There was a one way sign obscured by a cone when I went out only noticed on turning round

+Quote Post
Logician
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 11:28
Post #8

So this was while you were still on the racecourse, and for this meeting the usual traffic flow had been changed, there was a sign of sorts, not the type of sign seen on the road, and anyway it was obscured by cones, so presumably at a low level, and you did not notice it. On guard because you were carrying a large amount of cash (you must be a bookie, not a punter!) when someone ran out to stop you for no reason you were aware of, you tried to drive round him before eventually realising your mistake.

The traffic marshals on the other hand thought you were deliberating driving the wrong way, perhaps because it was shorter, and refusing to stop driving in that direction when indicated to do so, presenting a danger to oncoming traffic.

I think if you present a case like that to the police they will very likely decide not to take any further action.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sdracing
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 11:41
Post #9

[quote name='Logician' post='1491885' date='Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 12:28']So this was while you were still on the racecourse, and for this meeting the usual traffic flow had been changed, there was a sign of sorts, not the type of sign seen on the road, and anyway it was obscured by cones, so presumably at a low level, and you did not notice it. On guard because you were carrying a large amount of cash (you must be a bookie, not a punter!) when someone ran out to stop you for no reason you were aware of, you tried to drive round him before eventually realising your mistake.

The traffic marshals on the other hand thought you were deliberating driving the wrong way, perhaps because it was shorter, and refusing to stop driving in that direction when indicated to do so, presenting a danger to oncoming traffic.

I think if you present a case like that to the police they will very likely decide not to take any

This post has been edited by Sdracing: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 - 08:13

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 13:47
Post #10

Member No.: 18,483

The above might change if the evidence from the marshals is that you [deliberately] drove your car at them.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Sdracing
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 15:48
Post #11

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 14:47) *
The above might change if the evidence from the marshals is that you [deliberately] drove your car at them.

I did not - this would surely be difficult to prove ? There was one marshal and I tried to manoeuvred round him.. no contact made at any time

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 16:03
Post #12

Member No.: 317

All it requires is that the court believe your driving standard fell below that of a careful and competent driver, the amount of money you had on you doesn’t change that standard. The court may accept that the evidence presented is enough to believe you drove at them on purpose when deciding on the standard of your driving.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Sdracing
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 16:09
Post #13

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 17:03) *
All it requires is that the court believe your driving standard fell below that of a careful and competent driver, the amount of money you had on you doesn’t change that standard. The court may accept that the evidence presented is enough to believe you drove at them on purpose when deciding on the standard of your driving.

I agree this is why I am worried ... I didn’t but someone stepping out with a cone in my path and me stopping surely doesn’t constitute driving at them? Would this be classed as careless or dangerous? Would evidence from my girlfriend who was the passenger count?

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 17:16
Post #14

Member No.: 18,483

The point you appear not to have grasped yet is that what happened is irrelevant. What is relevant is what evidence is put forward - hence why I said what I said. Of course your girlfriend could give evidence, it’s up to the court how much weight it’s given. We’re a long way from court yet.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Sdracing
post Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 17:27
Post #15

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 18:16) *
The point you appear not to have grasped yet is that what happened is irrelevant. What is relevant is what evidence is put forward - hence why I said what I said. Of course your girlfriend could give evidence, it’s up to the court how much weight it’s given. We’re a long way from court yet.

Thanks will update when I hear

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 13 Jun 2019 - 19:07
Post #16

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Sdracing @ Wed, 12 Jun 2019 - 09:28) *
Thanks for your reply.
The NIP says driven dangerously,carelessly or without reasonable consideration. I was exiting a racecourse , I turned right and there were many cones. I was driving the normal correct way for turning right. I drove down the road and a traffic marshal ran out with his cone and forced me to stop. I didn’t open my window as I was concerned I had so much cash on me. I reversed tried to manoeuvres round him but again he blocked my path. He was very angry. He then get his mobile phone out and filmed me driving off. My girlfriend is a witness but not sure if this admissible ? He had 3 other marshals there and there was a row of taxis. The nip gives an opportunity for me to give an account.

A court might wonder, in the circumstances, why you didn't just ask the marshal for directions / assistance, after all that's their job. The issue about having a lot of cash makes no sense, you're not going to argue in court that you were in fear that the marshal would rob you, surely?

Unfortunately from what you say, what comes across is that you were angry with the marshal as he was preventing you from going the way you wanted to. Chances are if you'd opened the window and he'd given you a bit of a telling off, you could have got away with saying "sorry mate, my bad, I'll turn round" and that would have been the last you would have heard of it. I wouldn't be surprised if he reported you given your actions and I'm not sure your version of events would persuade the police to drop the matter or even let you off with a driver improvement course.

This post has been edited by cp8759: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 - 19:08

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Thu, 13 Jun 2019 - 20:21
Post #17

If a person of evil intent was aware that someone was carrying a large amount of cash, perhaps having seen it change hands earlier, and wished to acquire it, he might well decide a convenient way of doing so would be to put on a hi-vis jacket and bring his vehicle to a halt by putting a cone in its path, and proceed to mug the driver. The OP was leaving the racecourse by his accustomed route and had no reason to believe that he would be brought to a halt. Concerned about being mugged, it is surely understandable that his first reaction was not to stop and open his window for a cosy chat, but rather to avoid a chat that might prove expensive and perhaps painful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sdracing
post Fri, 14 Jun 2019 - 09:17
Post #18

QUOTE (Logician @ Thu, 13 Jun 2019 - 21:21) *
If a person of evil intent was aware that someone was carrying a large amount of cash, perhaps having seen it change hands earlier, and wished to acquire it, he might well decide a convenient way of doing so would be to put on a hi-vis jacket and bring his vehicle to a halt by putting a cone in its path, and proceed to mug the driver. The OP was leaving the racecourse by his accustomed route and had no reason to believe that he would be brought to a halt. Concerned about being mugged, it is surely understandable that his first reaction was not to stop and open his window for a cosy chat, but rather to avoid a chat that might prove expensive and perhaps painful.

Exactly. This is the account I intend to give as it’s the truth. If i was angry with him I’d have opened my window. I didn’t. Just hoping that they don’t consider this dangerous. Would also add time on NIP is 30 minutes wrong.

This post has been edited by Sdracing: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 - 09:29

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 14 Jun 2019 - 09:34
Post #19

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Sdracing @ Fri, 14 Jun 2019 - 10:17) *
Would also add time on NIP is 30 minutes wrong.

I don't think you are disadvantaged by this as you are fully aware of the allegation. Not unusual for a member of public report.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 17 Jun 2019 - 13:52
Post #20

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Logician @ Thu, 13 Jun 2019 - 21:21) *
If a person of evil intent was aware that someone was carrying a large amount of cash, perhaps having seen it change hands earlier, and wished to acquire it, he might well decide a convenient way of doing so would be to put on a hi-vis jacket and bring his vehicle to a halt by putting a cone in its path, and proceed to mug the driver.

But there is simply no evidence of that at all, it is pure speculation. The OP isn't saying that he recognised the marshal, and that he'd seen him earlier in civvies looking dodgy or spying on him. Nor did the marshal produce any weapons. Nor do most muggers carry a high-viz vest on them.

More importantly, did the OP call 999 immediately afterwards and say "We need police here, there's a fake traffic marshal who's just tried to rob me"? I suspect not and a court might wonder why that is if the fear of robbery was genuine. A court could well decide that while the OP's version of events is not an absolute impossibility, it is such a remote possibility that it can be discounted as implausible and not creating reasonable doubt.

This post has been edited by cp8759: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 - 13:53

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Sunday, 22nd September 2019 - 04:52
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.