PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Horizon PCN, Supermarket overstay
sniper005
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,806

Got the attached ANPR PCN through the door from Horizon on 30 Aug 18. The driver had parked in the supermarket car park whilst shopping at the store. Whilst there the driver met a friend and used the store cafe for coffee and lunch.

Having done research I get the impression that as POFA is not specificalluy mentioned in this ticket it is non POFA compliant?

Can someone kindly advise whether I am correct or not. Pending that advice I intend to write to both the CEO and the Manager of said store.

I would be grateful for any additional advice anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance,
Sniper

Attached File  Horizon_page_1.doc ( 343.5K ) Number of downloads: 121

Attached File  Horizon_page_2.doc ( 468.5K ) Number of downloads: 105
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Advertisement
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:16
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:23
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

Indeed, no keeper liability. Their only wheeze would be that they will state the keeper was driving if they don’t name the driver...

However, it doesn’t work that way. POPLA will uphold such appeals if they don’t... look in recent threads for some relevant wording, post here first if you like.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
sniper005
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:36
Post #3

Many thanks for the very quick reply. I`m looking at relevant threads now. Should I appeal now or wait the 28 days mentioned in the ticket?

+Quote Post
ostell
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:37
Post #4

Member No.: 60,457

This what you want ?

Sirs

Ref PCN xxxxx VRM yyyyyy

I am the registered keeper of the above vehicle and am in receipt of the PCN you issued. I have no liability on this matter as you have failed to meet the requirements of Schedule 4 of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 namely, but not limited to, failing to give the warning to the keeper, contrary to section 9 (2) (f) of the Act. You cannot therefore transfer liability from the driver at the time to me.

There is no legal requirement to identify the driver at the time and I will not be doing so.

Any further communication with me on this matter, apart from confirmation of no further action and my details being removed from your records, will be considered vexatious and harassment. This includes communication from any Debt Collection companies you care to instruct.

Yours etc.

They will reject but give you a POPLA number and POPLA will accept a POFA fail

Please write the CEO and Manager of that store pointing out that additional charges for using their facilities are an easy way to lose customers.

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:40
Post #5

Member No.: 96,238

Unusual wording
Wonder if it's a mistake

If it's unpaid after 28 days we will have the right to recover payment from the driver

The whole point of the Notice is to warn that, if it's unpaid, they will have the right to recover payment from the keeper

+Quote Post
ostell
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:42
Post #6

Member No.: 60,457

Yep they seem to love that but hope no one will notice. (I didn't on first read)

Probably have several thousands printed with that wording.

This post has been edited by ostell: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:43

+Quote Post
SchoolRunMum
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 18:50
Post #7

Member No.: 32,130

The driver had parked in the supermarket car park whilst shopping at the store. Whilst there the driver met a friend and used the store cafe for coffee and lunch.

Now the appeal is in, also complain as keeper, to the Supermarket Store Manager (Sainsburys) as they can cancel it in seconds. Easier than having to do POPLA stage as well, and all complaints make retailers think again about how annoyed customers are about parking scumbags.

+Quote Post
sniper005
post Tue, 4 Sep 2018 - 19:33
Post #8

With sincere thanks to JLC, Ostell, Redivi and SchoolRunMum. Shown below is the letter chain following your advice. Totally successful! I thought it was worth posting in case anyone else can make use.

To HORIZON on 31 August

Dear Sir or Madam

Ref: PCN XXXXXXXX VRM: XXXXXXXX

I am the registered keeper of the above vehicle and am in receipt of the PCN you issued.

I have no liability in this matter as you have failed to meet the requirements of Schedule 4 of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 namely, but not limited to, failing to give the warning to the keeper, contrary to section 9 (2) (f) of the Act. You cannot therefore transfer liability from the driver at the time to me.

There is no legal requirement for me to identify the driver at the time and I will not do so.

Any further communication with me on this matter, apart from confirmation of no further action and my details being removed from your records, will be considered vexatious and harassment. This includes communication from any Debt Collection companies you care to instruct.

Yours faithfully

Sniper

To CEO Sainsbury`s on 1 Sept

Dear Mr Coupe,

I am writing to you regarding a ‘parking charge’ ticket that I received from Horizon Parking. The ticket ref is XXXXXXXX. I have appealed this directly with Horizon as well as writing to you.

This charge came as a surprise in the post and was generated via the automatic number plate readers in the car park of your Godalming store. Horizon Parking have contacted me as the registered keeper of the vehicle having obtained my details from DVLA.

The car was parked at this store on XX August 2018 between the hours of XX:XX and XX:XX; a duration of 3 hours and 20 minutes. The alleged maximum ‘free’ parking time is three hours. The driver used the store that day for shopping and a meal with a friend.

I find it outrageous that, as keeper, I am expected to pay an exorbitant fee (£70) for 20 minutes of parking!

I am not obliged to confirm who was driving that day, but the driver is a customer of Sainsbury’s, as am I. There are no signs in the part of the car park where the driver parked the car; signs elsewhere have questionable font size. If the driver entered and left the car park via the filling station entrance no signs would be seen at all.

I am disgusted that genuine customers are being ripped off by this unregulated scam. Since our members of Parliament are calling this a “rip off” and a “scam”, why are Sainsbury`s using them at all? All they do is drive away custom.

You will be aware that other supermarkets are available in the area and the choice to use Sainsbury’s has resulted in this ridiculous fee. If I am forced to pay this charge, then this is £70 that I am unable to spend in your store and both the driver and I will shop elsewhere in future, as will all my family members.

To quote one of our MPs, ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this!

I trust that this charge will be cancelled and look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely

Sniper

From Sainsbury`s on 3 Sept

Dear Sniper,

Thank you for your email that has been received into our Executive Office. I have been asked to look into your complaint and respond on behalf of Mike Coupe.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment regarding the car parking ticket you have received while visiting our Godalming store.

I have spoken to the store regarding your case, as you have acknowledged there is a three hour time limit for the car park. After carefully reviewing your case, on this occasion the store have agreed to cancel the charge as gesture of goodwill. I hope this brings this matter to satisfactory conclusion.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0207 695 8900.

Kind regards,

Shaun Hodson
Executive Office
Tel: 0207 695 8900
Email: Executive.Office@sainsburys.co.uk
twitter.com/sainsburys | facebook.com/sainsburys

From Sainsbury`s on 3 Sept

Dear Sniper,
Thank you for your email.

I can advise the store will speak to Horizon and cancel the ticket for you, so you do not need to take any further action in regards to this matter.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0207 695 8900

Kind regards,

Shaun Hodson
Executive Office
Tel: 0207 695 8900
Email: Executive.Office@sainsburys.co.uk
twitter.com/sainsburys | facebook.com/sainsburys

I am now awaiting the cancellation letter from HORIZON.

Thank you all again.

Sniper

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Tue, 4 Sep 2018 - 19:37
Post #9

Member No.: 16,066

Brilliant.....with caveats!

Horizon may continue to pursue despite the intervention of Sainsbury's.

This should be the end of it but be prepared for more confetti in the post. If it arrives, come back here for more advice.

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
sniper005
post Tue, 4 Sep 2018 - 19:39
Post #10

Thanks for that Cabbyman. Is it worth another letter to HORIZON demanding they acknowledge the cancellation by Sainsbury`s? Obviously I`ll retain all the paperwork so far.

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Tue, 4 Sep 2018 - 19:45
Post #11

Member No.: 16,066

NO! The principal has told you the charge is cancelled and they have instructed their agent to that effect. Any more from you will give Horizon a chance to resurrect it.

As I said, you have a result but don't be surprised if you get more letters from the PPC or a debt collector trying to goad you into making a slip. Come back here if they do; hopefully, we will hear nothing from you again....if you know what I mean!

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 05:16
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here