PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Motorway Variable Speed Camera
Hootza
post Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 11:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,226

I received an NIP for doing 85 on the M5 near Bristol.
I know the variable speed limit signs were showing nothing and was surprised when I was flashed.
I was told that they never work unless the signs are set below 70 due to safety concerns of people slamming breaks at such high speeds.
Do these cameras work 24/7 now?
Apologies if answered 100 times before!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

Apparently they do, as evidenced by your NIP!

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 11:59
Post #3

Member No.: 36,528

What you were told was wrong, and makes little sense anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hootza
post Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 12:51
Post #4

Thanks for your help.
So nice to be a member of a group that doesn't make you feel like an idiot.
Why does it make no sense to suggest 70mph speed cameras are dangerous and could be disallowed on motorways?
There are plenty of arguments that speed cameras have caused accidents at much lower speeds due to motorists braking suddenly.
I thought maybe the camera had gone off by mistake - I had passed plenty more at the same speed and only this one flashed.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 12:58
Post #5

Member No.: 9,919

QUOTE (Hootza @ Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 13:51) *
Thanks for your help.
So nice to be a member of a group that doesn't make you feel like an idiot.
Why does it make no sense to suggest 70mph speed cameras are dangerous and could be disallowed on motorways?
There are plenty of arguments that speed cameras have caused accidents at much lower speeds due to motorists braking suddenly.
I thought maybe the camera had gone off by mistake - I had passed plenty more at the same speed and only this one flashed.

There is a mandatory 70mph limit regardless of the presents of speed cameras. If there is no reduced limit no sign will display unless to signify the end of a reduced limit. If you were doing 85 and saw a police vehicle on a bridge you were approaching what would you do?

Why would you think it a mistake to trigger a camera at 85 when the limit is 70?

This post has been edited by mickR: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 12:59

+Quote Post
Hootza
post Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 13:19
Post #6

Because I believed that motorway cameras were only allowed to be used when speeds were restricted to 60 or less.
Clearly I was wrong, stupid, illogical, and a threat to humanity and I will punish myself by putting needles in my eyes for 20 minutes.
Would that please the almighty all knowing Gods of Pepipoo?

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 13:49
Post #7

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Hootza @ Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 13:19) *
Because I believed that motorway cameras were only allowed to be used when speeds were restricted to 60 or less.
Clearly I was wrong, stupid, illogical, and a threat to humanity and I will punish myself by putting needles in my eyes for 20 minutes.
Would that please the almighty all knowing Gods of Pepipoo?

As has been pointed out, you were wrong in your assumption, and will now hopefully be wiser in the future.

As for the rest, we don't really do tea and sympathy so perhaps you shouldn't be surprised if people are dismissive about suggestions that it's not fair/reasonable/safe to use speed cameras to the enforce the motorway NSL. If you want to debate that point then I would suggest doing so in the Government Policy section

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
thisisntme
post Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 13:57
Post #8

Member No.: 70,566

Good earners, these cameras. They've been active when no limit shown for a long time now similarly on the M4 in the same area (Almondsbury) . Also be warned that variable speed limit cameras the other side of the Severn Bridge are now also active 24/7 whether a limit is shown or not also - this was shown on the matrix signs before Christmas, so it seems that forces are now enforcing all speeds, whereas there was an often incorrect assumption that they didn't enforce when not lit. Safest thing to assume now is that wherever there are cameras to assume they enforce at all times.

This post has been edited by thisisntme: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 13:59

--------------------
I reserve the right to be wrong.

+Quote Post
Hootza
post Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 14:42
Post #9

Thanks for completely missing the point Fredd!
It wasn't my suggestion and I am not arguing, just asking the kind contributors of Pepipoo to confirm the facts before I respond to my NIP.
Which you did in your usual condescending way.

Thisissntme - thanks for showing not all contributors are dismissive of those less knowledgeable and are willing to share their knowledge in a positive way.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Tue, 3 Jan 2017 - 15:15
Post #10

Member No.: 9,919

Hootza your OP was asking questions which have been answered. but... by the second post you managed to mildy insult a moderator, you then posted condescending remaks of your own in reply to comments which were not demeaning (compared with what you might have got) you then castigate the owner of the site all in one thread.
You might want to bear in mind you may require help in a future case and the very people youre offending are the ones to help you.

As fredd said hopefully you are now wiser and wont commit what appears to be a silly mistake again.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 02:30
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here