PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

UK Speeding Ticket Whilst Abroad
davetheraver
post Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 01:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,456

I received a speeding ticket this morning from Thames Valley police saying I was doing 53 in a 30 at 23.54 on 3/6/2018

I have a high performance car, so its normal for me to whizz around London, but I wasn't expecting anything.

I saw it was in Slough on the the A355 Farnham Road, I have never driven there.

I also noticed the date, I have been abroad for over 2 weeks and came back on 7/6/2018.

So my first thought was someone had access to my car whilst I was away, but no one does unless they have a cloned key or hacked into my vehicle. Which I doubt they would do that just for a drive, they would steal it.

Plus when I drove the vehicle I could tell it had not been driven as it was stiff and the breaks dirty etc.

So second thought is either cloned plates or a mistake, maybe the offender has a similar number plate and a bit of dirt made the camera think it was mine?

Either way I am pretty P'd off.

I can prove I was away, but some w****r has cloned my plates I now have to prove its not my vehicle.

Whats the procedure with this? Anyone had any experience with this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 01:39
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 02:19
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (davetheraver @ Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 02:39) *
I received a speeding ticket this morning from Thames Valley police saying I was doing 53 in a 30 at 23.54 on 3/6/2018

I very much doubt that.

I have a high performance car, so its normal for me to whizz around London, but I wasn't expecting anything.

Don't lead with that argument.

I saw it was in Slough on the the A355 Farnham Road, I have never driven there.

I also noticed the date, I have been abroad for over 2 weeks and came back on 7/6/2018.

So my first thought was someone had access to my car whilst I was away, but no one does unless they have a cloned key or hacked into my vehicle. Which I doubt they would do that just for a drive, they would steal it.

Plus when I drove the vehicle I could tell it had not been driven as it was stiff and the breaks dirty etc.

So second thought is either cloned plates or a mistake, maybe the offender has a similar number plate and a bit of dirt made the camera think it was mine?

Either way I am pretty P'd off.

Other than that cameras are not generally capable of thought, you seem to have grasped that logically either your plate has been cloned or misread.

I can prove I was away, but some w****r has cloned my plates I now have to prove its not my vehicle.

Apparently you have managed to discount the possibility of a misread and are helpfully explaining the law to us (which is most helpful as many of us were under the misapprehension that it is up to the prosecution to prove their case).

Whats the procedure with this? Anyone had any experience with this?

If we assume that logically either your plate has been cloned or misread, the first thing that any rational person would do would be to contact the SCP and ask them to confirm whether or not the plate was misread.

--------------------
Andy

If you're going to try to contradict me, please at least try to get your facts straight.

+Quote Post
ford poplar
post Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 02:22
Post #3

Member No.: 24,962

Ask the Auth for a photo of the Contravention 'to assist in identifying the driver'.
Then you could highlight any distinguishing differences between the vehicles to support your claim of cloning'.
Who else had access to your car keys whilst you were away?
I suggest you have received a combined NIP & s172. You need to respond to s172 within 28 days.

+Quote Post
davetheraver
post Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 02:38
Post #4

Member No.: 74,456

If we assume that logically either your plate has been cloned or misread, the first thing that any rational person would do would be to contact the SCP and ask them to confirm whether or not the plate was misread.

Whats the SCP sorry

This post has been edited by davetheraver: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 02:39

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 05:33
Post #5

Member No.: 317

Safety Camera Partnership, although Andy’s a bit out of date as very few call themselves that anymore, basically whoever sent the NIP out.

A simple plate misread is the most likely explanation, it’s not common but it is the most common answer in these circumstance.

If it’s keyless entry did you leave the key isolated, otherwise someone could relay boost the signal and use the car at will, not likley to put it back on your drive though!

Where you were is irrelevant they are right now of course asking who was driving your car, as you believe no one was then you just explain that over the phone and ask if they can check the photo in case the plate has been misread.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 05:36

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 12:01
Post #6

Member No.: 20,731

As to the s.172 request, should the police persist with it, your position would be as "any other person" under s.172(2)(b), as you were apparently not the keeper of the vehicle they are asking about. Your responsibility, therefore, would be to provide within 28 days "any information which it is in [your] power to give and may lead to identification of the driver" of that vehicle (which would probably be very little, if it wasn't your vehicle). You must respond, however, and in theory could still be convicted of s.172 even if the police asked you about a random vehicle, if you played it badly...

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 19th November 2018 - 10:23
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.