Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Pulled over doing "110".
ElChapo316
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 09:51
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,154

Hi all, hope all is well.

I was driving from Manchester - Glasgow at around 1 am this morning. M74 > A74 (M) > M61.

About a 3 hour drive, straight enough motorway. Roads are empty. (Not an excuse I'm aware).

FYI my driving/criminal record is 100% clean, never having any interaction with the police in the past.

After passing Carlisle and getting closer to Penrith I notice a car catching me from behind (I'm doing 100ish) so I move over but it follows me into the middle lane and I notice its a police car. It flashes it's lights and I pull over to the hard shoulder.

Officer approaches and asks me to turn off engine and get in his car etc. He asks do I know why I've stopped him, "I'm not sure". He said he caught me doing 100-110 for a good stretch of motorway and says anything over 95+ is usually instaban. He asks me where I'm going, where I'm coming from, why etc. And I tell him my missus lives in Glasgow so I go up pretty much every weekend. The two officers seem nice/genuine enough and are having a laugh with me (any passengers? just a tube of Pringles and irn bru etc.)

He says he doesnt want to affect my relationship so he'll fill in the NIP request with my speed as 95, that way I should get points/fine/awareness course. I asked him how much/how many points. He said £100 fine and 3 points. And they can charge both, one, neither.

What can I expect when this NIP comes through? Any chance I'll get on the awareness course?

Thanks,

ElChapo316

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 09:51
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 09:57
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

No chance of a course but he has done you a favour with 95mph. 96 would be a court summons.

So a 3 points £100 fixed penalty which you should grab. (Assuming you were speeding)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
ElChapo316
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 10:03
Post #3

QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 29 May 2018 - 10:57) *
No chance of a course but he has done you a favour with 95mph. 96 would be a court summons.

So a 3 points £100 fixed penalty which you should grab. (Assuming you were speeding)

Thanks JLC, he said "because of the time of night and how empty the roads are i'll put it in as 95" - at that point I figured he was doing me a favour and didn't try pushing my luck with anything else.

I've naturally had a look at a few NIP calculators on the web and they all come out as 4-6 points and a 200-400 fine? Am I right in thinking the NIP I get through will have a fixed penalty notice which I can accept or challenge and take to court?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 10:05
Post #4

Member No.: 49,223

You won't be getting a NIP - you had that at the roadside (verbally).

They filled in a Traffic Offence Report and the ticket office will process. The 4-6 points is only if the matter goes to court but you should see a fixed penalty offer. I wouldn't reject that unless you have a defence.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
ElChapo316
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 10:27
Post #5

QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 29 May 2018 - 11:05) *
You won't be getting a NIP - you had that at the roadside (verbally).

They filled in a Traffic Offence Report and the ticket office will process. The 4-6 points is only if the matter goes to court but you should see a fixed penalty offer. I wouldn't reject that unless you have a defence.

No defence other than I wanted to get home and get in bed. Thanks for the advice, will grasp the 3 points and fine when they come through and count myself lucky.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 10:40
Post #6

Member No.: 317

You would get the same fixed penalty for 80mph, so as you concede you were speeding I'd grab that with both hands.

As it happens I had an almost carbon copy incident when I was doing circa 100. (23rd December 1990).

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
PaulR986
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 15:21
Post #7

Member No.: 60,578

I was stopped at 105 mph and had a similar conversation.

I admitted it and made no excuses. He looked at me and said I recorded you at 105mph, however I also recorded you at 95 mph and, as you haven't been an ********, I am going to write you a ticket.

I was happy to take the three points and £100 fine - I seriously recommend that you do the same.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Wed, 30 May 2018 - 14:38
Post #8

Member No.: 90,659

Sounds like a decent copper.

A decade or so ago I undertook someone at speed who had been in lane 2 of a 2 lane dual carriageway forever.

Next thing pulled by unmarked car. Obviously passed the attitude test because I got a bus lane ticket out of it.

Shame there is a move away from that discretion now except for some old school cops.

+Quote Post
Fengus73
post Wed, 6 Jun 2018 - 09:32
Post #9

Member No.: 98,283

Personally I would grab the 3 points and the £100 as mentioned above..... As said before if you were doing 100-110 you would know you were doing that and not 74 compared to 70...

Personally, I find at faster speeds you tend to concentrate more, however that is only on the autobahn... biggrin.gif

AS mentioned above -

A few summers ago, before we had kids, had been up in North Yorks and was on A1(M) south near Peterborough - the bit with 4 lanes... it was dead... I will confess to being somewhere between 85-90 in Lane 1 (yes that quiet) --- Nissan Micra in Lane 3 - no idea why sitting in L3, however as I went L1 to L4 to pass glanced and old person driving, might answer the previous question, and then I was back to L1 - completely safe manouvre.. next thing a (plain clothes) mondeo whizzes by, pulls in front and the back of it lights up like Chistmas in Harrods.

Officer and I have a briedf chat... along the lines of "Why Have I stopped you"
"Erm... doing 80-90 in a 70"
"Whats the speed limit?
"70"
"Do you think that this is safe?"
"Actually yes, as the weather is good, visability is clear, car is maintained, tyres and brakes are well kept, I have taken the ADT where I was "taught" to drive by a Traffic Cop, however I accept that I have broken the speed limit. I think the Micra in L3, poses more of anissue, due to the drivers general unawareness."
"OK. Any kids in the back?"
"Nope. Feel free to check."

He had a glance and then "I am finishing in 30 mins, I cannot be arsed with the paperwork, please just keep it a little bit slower.. follow me, and when up to speed, join L1"
"Thanks Officer"

Then I found myself catching him up again...

+Quote Post
thisisntme
post Thu, 7 Jun 2018 - 09:33
Post #10

Member No.: 70,566

QUOTE (Fengus73 @ Wed, 6 Jun 2018 - 10:32) *
Personally I would grab the 3 points and the £100 as mentioned above..... As said before if you were doing 100-110 you would know you were doing that and not 74 compared to 70...

Personally, I find at faster speeds you tend to concentrate more, however that is only on the autobahn... biggrin.gif

AS mentioned above -

A few summers ago, before we had kids, had been up in North Yorks and was on A1(M) south near Peterborough - the bit with 4 lanes... it was dead... I will confess to being somewhere between 85-90 in Lane 1 (yes that quiet) --- Nissan Micra in Lane 3 - no idea why sitting in L3, however as I went L1 to L4 to pass glanced and old person driving, might answer the previous question, and then I was back to L1 - completely safe manouvre.. next thing a (plain clothes) mondeo whizzes by, pulls in front and the back of it lights up like Chistmas in Harrods.

Officer and I have a briedf chat... along the lines of "Why Have I stopped you"
"Erm... doing 80-90 in a 70"
"Whats the speed limit?
"70"
"Do you think that this is safe?"
"Actually yes, as the weather is good, visability is clear, car is maintained, tyres and brakes are well kept, I have taken the ADT where I was "taught" to drive by a Traffic Cop, however I accept that I have broken the speed limit. I think the Micra in L3, poses more of anissue, due to the drivers general unawareness."
"OK. Any kids in the back?"
"Nope. Feel free to check."

He had a glance and then "I am finishing in 30 mins, I cannot be arsed with the paperwork, please just keep it a little bit slower.. follow me, and when up to speed, join L1"
"Thanks Officer"

Then I found myself catching him up again...

I think with some of those answers you were very fortunate. One in oarticular sounds like you are telling him his job...

--------------------
I reserve the right to be wrong.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Wednesday, 26th September 2018 - 15:45
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.