post Mon, 18 Sep 2006 - 17:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,211

£18,500 bill for mother who binned parking tickets
£18,500 bill for mother who binned parking tickets
By David Sapsted
(Filed: 14/09/2006)

A single mother whose friends told her that she did not have to bother paying parking fines has been left with a bill of £18,500.

Roma Wheldon, a mother of four, managed to get 120 parking tickets in two years.

Her friends told her that authorities never bothered to chase up unpaid fines and so she stuffed them all in a bin and forgot about them. It turned out to be a bad move.
advertisement

Far from forgetting about the £60 fines, Southend Council put a debt collection agency and bailiffs on the case and presented Miss Wheldon, 35, with the huge bill, telling her to pay up or face prison.

Fortunately, her 85-year-old grandfather, her parents and her brother rallied round and paid off £12,500 of the debt, which includes about £10,000 in bailiffs’ fees.

That still leaves Miss Wheldon owing £6,000, which she had agreed to pay off at £100 a month over the next five years.

“I used to park anywhere I liked and was always getting tickets,” she said yesterday.

“I never thought it would go this far. I used to park outside my mum’s house a lot and she has got parking meters outside. But I never put any money in them and always got a ticket.

“I know it sounds stupid but I just used to park the car, leave it and walk off. I was hanging around with the wrong group of people. They told me not to worry about it and just ignore the tickets. A lot of it is my own fault. I know that and have learnt the hard way.

“The people who told me to throw them away were supposed to be my friends but they are not any more. I was so lucky that I had my family to help me out. I thought that I might get sent to prison and panicked. I was absolutely terrified.”

Ian Robertson, a Southend councillor responsible for parking, said: “If you get a ticket, there are two things to do. The first thing is pay the ticket right away and then argue about it afterwards. Secondly, if you get into trouble, get in touch with your ward councillor.”

Eek! Bad advice at the bottom there! If you get a ticket visit PePiPoo!

Southend have had DPE since 2001 according to their web site.
I wonder if all these PCNs were valid? Also NtOs would have to be valid wouldn't they?

It would be so nice to find she is due the money back!

--------------------
Andrew.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 23)
Advertisement
post Mon, 18 Sep 2006 - 17:40
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Clear Skies
post Wed, 20 Sep 2006 - 09:14
Post #21

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,213

QUOTE (eddie1234567 @ Tue, 19 Sep 2006 - 16:50) *
QUOTE (monoi @ Tue, 19 Sep 2006 - 16:32) *

To behave the way she did was stupid as she now recognises, but faced with such a bill and jail threats she did not even seek advice about her position. And neither did her family. Thats beyond moronic, and it makes you wonder what it would take for some people to wake up.

Like most people in this country (my inlaws, parents and siblings I include in this circle) believe what the council tell them, because we USED TO HAVE have a trust in authority. My wife also has this belief when I started to fight my ticket. Comments such as don't be daft the council wouldn't do this, when fighting my speeding ticket, don't be daft the police and courts wouldn't do that if it wasn't right.

Unfortunatly this is the type of "Brick Wall" we are up against with the majority of the country actually believing that they (gov) can do what they want "You can't fight City Hall" mentality.

Up the revolution, if not that, then Up the pub biggrin.gif

I just picked out some words: in the above..

The council shouldnt be quite so heavy handed.. yes she may of been silly to ignore the tickets ... but... 18,000 is just daft.. When u are the big boy, you musnt bully, u must be restrained.. so how about those who are elected to serve being like minded ?

bill

--------------------
God always has a custard pie up his sleeve....
Georgy Girl

Carbon Offset & support PePiPoo

+Quote Post
anton
post Wed, 20 Sep 2006 - 09:19
Post #22

Member No.: 1,514

Some how in the past 5 years we have slipped down the american route into raising taxes by isuing fines. There are small towns in the states who raise over 50% of thier monies by tickiting the freeway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
monoi
post Thu, 21 Sep 2006 - 10:40
Post #23

Member No.: 1,389

Clear,

I dont disagree, but £10000 of this is bailiff charges and they pay it without questioning !

I am not saying she should not be helped, but you have to admit that this kind of mentality just perpetuates the situation, and just makes our own life difficult.

I get fed up with it. I had the same with my 2nd NIP last year, my colleagues at work could not believe I was contesting. Guess who was right in the end.

+Quote Post
eddie1234567
post Wed, 31 Jan 2007 - 14:09
Post #24

Member No.: 1,243

Just to bump this one.

Back in Sep there was talk about people maybe contacting to help out. This has been praying on my mind.

Does anyone know if there was any follow up on this.

If no one from here or the other sites have contacted anyone, I was thinking of giving the paper a bell and talking to the journalist.

If someone has taken it forward, I'll give a sign of relief.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 01:12
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here