DancingDad
post Tue, 12 Feb 2019 - 12:39
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Tue, 12 Feb 2019 - 11:56) *
QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Tue, 12 Feb 2019 - 11:07) *
QUOTE (roythebus @ Mon, 11 Feb 2019 - 15:01) *
There's far too many road signs, period. Too many are confusing to many.

There aren't too many signs, there are too many drivers who don't view driving as a skill and thus make zero attempt to refresh their training.

That's combined with a Highway Code which is 90% stupidly obvious (get in the right lane if you want to turn right) and the stupidly stupid (if you are a cyclist and want to turn right dismount and push your bike). As such using it as a refresher is slightly pointless. All the stuff you might have forgotten is drowned out with pointless crap.

I agree, in a perfect world your driving theory test would be based on the TSRGD rather than the HC but we have to be realistic.

Worries me when, as in the link earlier, you see reports that a large proportion of drivers do not even understand the basic premise, circle is must obey, triangle is warning, rectangle is information.
But even that isn't even fully complied with in TSRGD.. ie, entrance to pedestrian zones is a must obey sign but on a large white rectangle.
To understand and remember all the minutia requires a mastermind champion.
But that is no excuse for the average driver not to understand the meanings of common signs.
Or not to understand some basics.
We often see people parking across Dropped Kerbs, right across them.
And then say "We did not know you couldn't"
Was a basic that was drummed into me as a learner.
Not whether there were different types that may be okay, the simple, "thou shalt not"
Same with undertaking, "Though shalt not", simple even if not backed up by the law, it works.
Thou shalt not park on double yellows, on zig zags, near to a junction, go through a No entry sign, loads of them but all with the same simple premise.

I find it difficult to blame a council when they do follow TSRGD, do put up signs that should be readily seen, do it right and then still have pirrocks ignoring them.

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 - 12:40
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Advertisement
post Tue, 12 Feb 2019 - 12:39
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 12 Feb 2019 - 20:38
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,659

I remember as well from retail days there is no point trying to convince someone that something was clear and isn't misleading because as soon as they feel mislead, they will never admit it isn't objectively misleading. There is zero point in showing them because you will never change their mind.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 19:08
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here