PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Does 14 day NIP still apply if I was driving my wifes car?
Hilly2016
post Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 19:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 85,087

Before I begin I think it's worth mentioning that my wife or I haven't received a NIP yet.

On the 1/6/2016 I was driving her car and we went past a mobile speed camera and I may have been caught (60 zone and I was probably doing at the most 70mph before I managed to hit the brakes). At the time of writing (19/6/2016) neither my wife or I have received any NIP in the post.

Reading various posts I realise that even though it is past 14 days since the event, that doesn't necessarily mean that we won't receive anything because its when the NIP is 'served' rather than received. Needless to say though that I'll be keeping an eye on the letterbox over the next week or so.

My question is though - because I was driving her car - does the 14 rule still apply?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 19:02
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 19:11
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

The '14 day rule' applies to the first NIP only - regardless of who was driving.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
NeverMind
post Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 19:14
Post #3

Member No.: 50,387

QUOTE (Hilly2016 @ Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 20:02) *
Reading various posts I realise that even though it is past 14 days since the event, that doesn't necessarily mean that we won't receive anything because its when the NIP is 'served' rather than received.

Are you sure that's what you read?

+Quote Post
Hilly2016
post Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 19:22
Post #4

QUOTE (Jlc @ Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 20:11) *
The '14 day rule' applies to the first NIP only - regardless of who was driving.

So does this mean that because I was driving it doesn't matter when she receives the NIP really because it wasn't her driving?

QUOTE (NeverMind @ Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 20:14) *
QUOTE (Hilly2016 @ Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 20:02) *
Reading various posts I realise that even though it is past 14 days since the event, that doesn't necessarily mean that we won't receive anything because its when the NIP is 'served' rather than received.

Are you sure that's what you read?

That's what I could gather. For example, if my wife was to receive the NIP tomorrow (20/6/2016) but the date on the NIP was 10/6/2016 (for arguments sake) then it would still be valid because it was 'served' to her before the 14 days but for whatever reason it was delayed in the post.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 19:27
Post #5

Member No.: 49,223

A late NIP is a late NIP whoever was driving. (So you would have a defence if she received a late NIP)

Presuming she is the RK (at the time of query) then it appears who won't hear anything or it is late.

The notice has to be delivered within the 14 days - they are presumed delivered 2 working days after the date of posting unless the contrary can be proven.

I suspect you are lucky. Normal enforcement begins at 68mph and you speedo will over read slightly.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Hilly2016
post Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 19:36
Post #6

QUOTE (Jlc @ Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - 20:27) *
A late NIP is a late NIP whoever was driving. (So you would have a defence if she received a late NIP)

Presuming she is the RK (at the time of query) then it appears who won't hear anything or it is late.

The notice has to be delivered within the 14 days - they are presumed delivered 2 working days after the date of posting unless the contrary can be proven.

I suspect you are lucky. Normal enforcement begins at 68mph and you speedo will over read slightly.

Thanks for clearing that up. She is indeed the RK and she's had the car from new and we haven't moved since buying it so there should be no problems in getting her contact details.

I'll keep an eye on the letterbox this week just in case anything does arrive but it's good to know that the 14 day rule still applies regardless of who was driving.

It was on a pretty straight bit of road and I was doing 50 (!) when I went past the camera, but when I spotted it I was doing at the most 70mph. I hope I'm lucky because my previous record isn't great!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 21:04
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here