Advertise here!

Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 11:09
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Brilliant, I must admit I already knew this trick and have never had to pay a fine from a camera or in the last 29 years - IT WORKS!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 12:22
Post #3

Member No.: 49,223

If only everyone knew this...

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 12:34
Post #4

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (Jlc @ Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 13:22) *

They do - but some choose to ignore it.

This post has been edited by peterguk: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 12:34

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 18:29
Post #5

Member No.: 1,326

Generally correct, but wasn't there a case on here where someone was accused of doing 106 when they were actually doing 36, and another where the Police claimed the driver was going way over the limit, until their dashcam proved otherwise?

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 18:52
Post #6

Member No.: 20,731

A GPS-enabled dashcam is also a good idea, just in case.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Thu, 4 Oct 2018 - 09:07
Post #7

Member No.: 60,602

QUOTE (peterguk @ Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 13:34) *
QUOTE (Jlc @ Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 13:22) *

They do - but some choose to ignore it.

Here’s someone on the Speeding sub-forum who thinks it’s “unfair” to be fined for doing 92.8mph on a motorway who was apparently perfectly aware that they were travelling at over 90mph. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=123143

This post has been edited by nigelbb: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 - 09:07

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Thu, 4 Oct 2018 - 13:12
Post #8

Member No.: 39,245

If your car has cruise control you even have the wonderful technique of using it. The car then holds at the speed and doesn't go above it, so if you're in one of those long motorway 40mph stretches you can drive up to 40mph, put your car in cruise control and watch the road in front of you rather than the speedometer.

That helps if you have to stop suddenly and therefore you don't end up in the back of the vehicle ahead of you whilst your were staring at the speedometer the whole time.

Of course if you do brake you usually have to build up the speed again and exercise cruise control again, but it's still worth it.

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Thu, 4 Oct 2018 - 20:20
Post #9

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Thu, 4 Oct 2018 - 14:12) *
If your car has cruise control you even have the wonderful technique of using it. The car then holds at the speed and doesn't go above it, so if you're in one of those long motorway 40mph stretches you can drive up to 40mph, put your car in cruise control and watch the road in front of you rather than the speedometer.

You could even set it at 44mph...

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Fri, 5 Oct 2018 - 13:22
Post #10

Member No.: 39,245

My cruise control isn't perfect and sometimes on a downhill slope the speed goes up anyway. And it isn't as perfect as I'd like because when I hit CC at 52mph on the A406 where there are average speed checks at 50mph it sometimes drops me down to 50mph and I have to do a couple of attempts before it works it out.

Maybe my next car will have a better way of doing it.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 5 Oct 2018 - 13:42
Post #11

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Thu, 4 Oct 2018 - 21:20) *
You could even set it at 44mph...

Inciting an offence? ninja.gif

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
whjohnson
post Fri, 5 Oct 2018 - 13:51
Post #12

Member No.: 75,738

Be very wary of dashcams - they can shop you just as much as they can save you.
Why else do you think that insurers just love trackers?
Anything to get out of paying up, and they'll use the tracker data as evidence to get you nicked if it helps them avoid paying.
IoT is another disaster waiting to happen - the the hell needs a 'smart fridge'? Or even to turn the lights on in their London flat from a New York hotel room?
I'd be very wary of any IT system. The security is usually rubbish. Especially those systems used for Govt purposes.
Medical records, military data, you name it. It will have been left on the seat of a train or bus by some numpty in a suit at some time or other.

Do you also know that your engine management system in your vehicle records all engine data? Not just for one-time use either.

Check out ECall - this abomination was called for by all EU countries for all new vehicles to be fitted with the system from 2017. The UK has so far resisted it.
Supposedly for the facilitation of emergency vehicles to 'find you' in the event of an accident. It's makers also promise 'other uses'.

We just seem to love giving away our privacy in this country. Big Govt and Big corporations just love it.

This post has been edited by whjohnson: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 - 13:59

+Quote Post
Lodesman
post Fri, 5 Oct 2018 - 15:42
Post #13

Member No.: 22,623

QUOTE (whjohnson @ Fri, 5 Oct 2018 - 14:51) *
Check out ECall - this abomination was called for by all EU countries for all new vehicles to be fitted with the system from 2017. The UK has so far resisted it.
Supposedly for the facilitation of emergency vehicles to 'find you' in the event of an accident. It's makers also promise 'other uses'.

It came as standard on my new VW six months ago - cannot see a problem with it myself.

+Quote Post
bama
post Sun, 7 Oct 2018 - 13:36
Post #14

Member No.: 4,323

IoT is another disaster waiting to happen

FTFY
the architecture the devices is a horror story and their 'uses' are manifold.

when everything is connected everything is vulnerable

--------------------
Which facts in any situation or problem are “essential” and what makes them “essential”? If the “essential” facts are said to depend on the principles involved, then the whole business, all too obviously, goes right around in a circle. In the light of one principle or set of principles, one bunch of facts will be the “essential” ones; in the light of another principle or set of principles, a different bunch of facts will be “essential.” In order to settle on the right facts you first have to pick your principles, although the whole point of finding the facts was to indicate which principles apply.

Note that I am not legally qualified and any and all statements made are "Reserved". Liability for application lies with the reader.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sun, 7 Oct 2018 - 14:03
Post #15

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Thu, 4 Oct 2018 - 14:12) *
If your car has cruise control you even have the wonderful technique of using it. ………….

On crowded motorways, I find the speed limiter is a better option.
Can still use right foot to match traffic speed (it is never constant) so can maintain stopping distance but engine will not drive you over the set speed should foot get a little heavy on the gas.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Sun, 7 Oct 2018 - 16:38
Post #16

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Old school cruise control is essentially useless on the crowded roads in this country. Adaptive cruise control (ACC), however, is a boon.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 7 Oct 2018 - 19:25
Post #17

Member No.: 317

I frequently used the old school CC on my Mondeo, so old school it’s a pneumatic (vacuum) actuator pulling a cable to open the cable throttle. My new car (2 1/2 weeks old) is a bit more modern (more accurate speed control and will use brakes to control speed) but still not active.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Figaro
post Sun, 7 Oct 2018 - 23:15
Post #18

Member No.: 4,803

I use new school and old school dependent on the weight of traffic. I also don’t fully trust my adaptive fully as whilst in charge the other day and heading for a queue of traffic on the motorway it decided to slow down, but also give me the ‘brake’ warning on the dash too. The queue was still moving so the difference in speed was only probably about 20mph. It was odd and not what it’s done before. I generally lift and cruise and brake long before it does anything so I’m not the most comfortable with it anyway. I actually prefer it in heavy traffic.

+Quote Post
Lodesman
post Mon, 8 Oct 2018 - 05:30
Post #19

Member No.: 22,623

QUOTE (Fredd @ Sun, 7 Oct 2018 - 17:38) *
Old school cruise control is essentially useless on the crowded roads in this country. Adaptive cruise control (ACC), however, is a boon.

Now that I have become used to it I couldn't agree more

+Quote Post
Tank Engine
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 13:40
Post #20

Member No.: 75,210

QUOTE (cabbyman @ Wed, 3 Oct 2018 - 10:55) *

Truly disgusting and citing such filth should get you a ban.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 13:29
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here