Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bailiffs used more to chase parking fines
Redivi
post Wed, 11 Sep 2019 - 08:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96,238

As per thread title

The use of bailiffs to chase parking fines has increased by 20% in last two years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49651688

The article says that bailiffs can be authorised 21 days after the court order
Shouldn't that be 28 days ?

This post has been edited by Redivi: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 - 08:57
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Wed, 11 Sep 2019 - 08:56
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Incandescent
post Wed, 11 Sep 2019 - 12:27
Post #2

Member No.: 54,455

Most bailiff cases we see on the council tickets forum are where the owner hasn't kept his V5 for the vehicle up-to-date, so never gets the statutory documents that are sent by post to the V5 address. The law and regulations rely heavily on this V5 being up-to-date, and is flawed, in that the address is only obtained once. OK it's an offence not to update the V5, but up to now, its importance has not been all that great. There needs to be some reform so that councils have to be more pro-active before instructing bailiffs.

+Quote Post
buttonpusher
post Wed, 11 Sep 2019 - 18:12
Post #3

Member No.: 11,066

Maybe the DVLA could do a big national advert to get people to check their address is correct, far too many just forget to change it.

+Quote Post
I am Weasel
post Thu, 12 Sep 2019 - 10:41
Post #4

Member No.: 27,840

QUOTE (Incandescent @ Wed, 11 Sep 2019 - 13:27) *
There needs to be some reform so that councils have to be more pro-active before instructing bailiffs.

Increasing the workload imposed upon the councils before they can instruct bailiffs will simply be passed on to the tax-payers so I would not want that.

Owning and running a car entails several responsibilities, one of which is ensuring the V5 details are correct and up to date. I do not see why the general "rate-payers" should be penalised for the actions (or rather inaction) of individuals who are too ignorant/stupid/lazy/whatever to update their V5 when changing address.

I think that a more suitable strategy might be for the DVLA to put a big red sticker on the front of a replacement driving licence that asks the question "have you updated your vehicle registration documents too?"

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 12 Sep 2019 - 10:58
Post #5

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (I am Weasel @ Thu, 12 Sep 2019 - 11:41) *
I think that a more suitable strategy might be for the DVLA to put a big red sticker on the front of a replacement driving licence that asks the question "have you updated your vehicle registration documents too?"

If you do the licence update online there is a complete checklist for address changing that includes telling you to do the V5c as well.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Wednesday, 18th September 2019 - 10:29
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.