Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Trumped up charge Driving without due care
bazrippa
post Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 08:54
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 63,894

Hi guys.
A few weeks ago I was driving an extra long sprinter type van in London and tried to move left into the lane beside me, in my blind spot there was a black car which I couldn't see until I had started the manoeuvre but returned back into the right lane quickly.
The driver of the black car then blasted his horn at me and gave me a hand signal. rolleyes.gif
The car then followed me and the driver got out in traffic and came to the side of my van with a wallet in his hand saying that he was a police officer but wouldn't show me any id.
He was in a 16 year old astra, was scruffy and unshaven with a foreign accent and if he was an officer he was off duty for sure.

Well I drove away as I didn't believe him and now I have a nip for driving without due care and attention..

What do I do now?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 08:54
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 08:59
Post #2

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (bazrippa @ Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 08:54) *
What do I do now?

Presumably right now you're only being asked to name the driver? In which case, you need to name yourself within 28 days of receipt otherwise a separate offence is committed.

Not sure what the appearance of the other driver has to do with your innocence/guilt..

Driving into the path of another driver could easily be DWDCA.

This post has been edited by peterguk: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 09:02

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 09:00
Post #3

Member No.: 317

Presumably it includes an S172 request to name the driver, if so name them. (not doing so is a more serious offence).

As you appear to admit driving without due care and attention I don't see it as trumped up, even if it is right at the bottom end of the scale, I'd be surprised if the Police didn't offer a course though.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 09:04

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
post Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 10:32
Post #4

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (bazrippa @ Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 08:54) *
The car then followed me and the driver got out in traffic and came to the side of my van with a wallet in his hand saying that he was a police officer but wouldn't show me any id.
He was in a 16 year old astra, was scruffy and unshaven with a foreign accent and if he was an officer he was off duty for sure.

Or on duty in a plain-clothes capacity.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 16:05
Post #5

Member No.: 42,618

Write back naming yourself as the driver. Also write a separate letter of complaint, and return it in the same envelope, along the lines of

"I wish to make a formal complaint regarding this incident: one of your officers spoke to me at the scene and identified himself as a police officer, but he refused to produce any form of identification. It is my understanding that a police officer, whether off-duty or on plain-clothes duty, should as a matter of course present his credentials to a member of the public who he is dealing with and who reasonably asks to see his police ID."

There's two possible outcomes: he really is a police officer, and nothing much will come of it (apart from maybe some vague assurance that the officer will be reminded of good practice in such circumstances), or he isn't a police officer, and he could be looking at an impersonating police charge. While the police are keen for dashcam reports and the like, they take a very, very dim view of people taking the law into their own hands, and an even dimmer view of people pretending to be police officers.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 16:41
Post #6

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 16:05) *
Write back naming yourself as the driver. Also write a separate letter of complaint, and return it in the same envelope, along the lines of

"I wish to make a formal complaint regarding this incident: one of your officers spoke to me at the scene and identified himself as a police officer, but he refused to produce any form of identification. It is my understanding that a police officer, whether off-duty or on plain-clothes duty, should as a matter of course present his credentials to a member of the public who he is dealing with and who reasonably asks to see his police ID."

There's two possible outcomes: he really is a police officer, and nothing much will come of it (apart from maybe some vague assurance that the officer will be reminded of good practice in such circumstances), or he isn't a police officer, and he could be looking at an impersonating police charge. While the police are keen for dashcam reports and the like, they take a very, very dim view of people taking the law into their own hands, and an even dimmer view of people pretending to be police officers.

Don't forget the official police "hand signal"...

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 08:16
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here