PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

court summons for 71 in a 40 variable with no speed displayed
pcnproblem
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 07:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,795

Hi all, I've got a court summons for driving 71 in a 40 variable on a motorway. I was driving in carriageway 3 and in the photos they have sent there is no speed limit displayed in that lane. Instead it displays an arrow asking for drivers to move over to the first 2 carriageways. Lane 1 also has a car pulled over halfway in the lane and halfway on the verge which I remember seeing and recognising as a pretty bad hazard. Is there scope to getting this thrown out as the evidence seems to go against Rule 256 of the highway code -
"Signals situated on the central reservation apply to all lanes. On very busy stretches, signals may be overhead with a separate signal for each lane."

This post has been edited by pcnproblem: Mon, 11 May 2020 - 07:24
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Advertisement
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 07:24
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 07:40
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

Let's see the photos.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 07:41
Post #3

Member No.: 317

Where was the offence?

Can you post up the photo please? (Read the FAQ on how to).

Was it possible the previous gantry was displaying a 40 limit?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
TonyS
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 08:12
Post #4

Member No.: 60,732

Were the other lanes showing a 40mph limit?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 08:17
Post #5

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (pcnproblem @ Mon, 11 May 2020 - 08:24) *
Hi all, I've got a court summons for driving 71 in a 40 variable on a motorway. I was driving in carriageway 3 and in the photos they have sent there is no speed limit displayed in that lane. Instead it displays an arrow asking for drivers to move over to the first 2 carriageways. Lane 1 also has a car pulled over halfway in the lane and halfway on the verge which I remember seeing and recognising as a pretty bad hazard.

Careful - as these this could be considered an aggravating factor.

Was it like this?

Attached Image

Is there scope to getting this thrown out as the evidence seems to go against Rule 256 of the highway code -
"Signals situated on the central reservation apply to all lanes. On very busy stretches, signals may be overhead with a separate signal for each lane."

Highly unlikely - remember the highway code itself is not law. (Although many of the points are backed up by law)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
pcnproblem
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 08:22
Post #6

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 11 May 2020 - 09:17) *
Hi all, I've got a court summons for driving 71 in a 40 variable on a motorway. I was driving in carriageway 3 and in the photos they have sent there is no speed limit displayed in that lane. Instead it displays an arrow asking for drivers to move over to the first 2 carriageways. Lane 1 also has a car pulled over halfway in the lane and halfway on the verge which I remember seeing and recognising as a pretty bad hazard.

Careful - as these this could be considered an aggravating factor.

Was it like this?

Attached Image

Is there scope to getting this thrown out as the evidence seems to go against Rule 256 of the highway code -

Highly unlikely - remember the highway code itself is not law. (Although many of the points are backed up by law)

Yes it was like that except the move over signals were in both lanes 3 and 4, I was in lane 3.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 08:29
Post #7

Member No.: 9,683

Surely the speed there is advisory not compulsory? But the 71 is the problem.

+Quote Post
pcnproblem
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 08:32
Post #8

QUOTE (roythebus @ Mon, 11 May 2020 - 09:29) *

My mistake - they had the red circles round the limits so they were compulsory.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 08:47
Post #9

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (pcnproblem @ Mon, 11 May 2020 - 09:32) *
QUOTE (roythebus @ Mon, 11 May 2020 - 09:29) *

My mistake - they had the red circles round the limits so they were compulsory.

If there was a 40 in a red circle above any of the lanes, then you're banged-to-rights as the limit applies to the entire carriageway.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 10:26
Post #10

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Mon, 11 May 2020 - 09:47) *
If there was a 40 in a red circle above any of the lanes, then you're banged-to-rights as the limit applies to the entire carriageway.

+1

Sorry for my confusion on the red circles. It was more the arrows I was referencing.

But more this: (40 instead of 50 of course)

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Jlc: Mon, 11 May 2020 - 10:36

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
pcnproblem
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 12:20
Post #11

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 11 May 2020 - 11:26) *
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Mon, 11 May 2020 - 09:47) *

+1

Sorry for my confusion on the red circles. It was more the arrows I was referencing.

But more this: (40 instead of 50 of course)

Attached Image

Yes exactly like that. Looks like I'll be pleading guilty and explaining that it was my fault for focusing on the arrows and not the 40 limit. Thanks for your help everyone.

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Mon, 11 May 2020 - 12:41
Post #12

Member No.: 23,623

Assuming a guilty plea you should see a fine of a week's net income, a surcharge of 10% of the fine (Minimum £32), £85 costs and six points. A short ban is a possibility but six points far more likely. When you say you have a summons, is it really a summons or is it a Single Justice Procedure Notice?

+Quote Post
pcnproblem
post Tue, 12 May 2020 - 08:00
Post #13

QUOTE (NewJudge @ Mon, 11 May 2020 - 13:41) *
Assuming a guilty plea you should see a fine of a week's net income, a surcharge of 10% of the fine (Minimum £32), £85 costs and six points. A short ban is a possibility but six points far more likely. When you say you have a summons, is it really a summons or is it a Single Justice Procedure Notice?

It's a Single Justice Procedural Notice.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 12 May 2020 - 08:08
Post #14

Member No.: 317

So a straight guilty plea will see the single justice decide your sentence unless they think a period of disqualification is applicable when they will refer it to the magistrates court and a full hearing which you’ll be required to attend.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 08:33
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here