PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Fined for stopping in a bus stop. On Christmas Day. With no buses running.
Fredd
post Tue, 6 Feb 2018 - 21:27
Post #1

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Leicester City Council are apparently showing all the sensitivity, compassion, and unerring ability to turn a potential good news story into a PR disaster one has come to expect of petty council bureaucrats, by insisting on fining a driver who had stopped to help a homeless person. Because it's apparently dangerous to stop at that bus stop when you're not a bus, even on Christmas Day when there are no buses, and hardly any other traffic either. blink.gif

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Tue, 6 Feb 2018 - 21:27
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 6 Feb 2018 - 21:38
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,559

But Fredd, a cyclist died there !!!!!
But you have to wonder if CCTV would have made any difference or if penalizing someone on Christmas Day would.

Can understand a PCN though you would think that someone would actually consider the interests of justice.
And certainly that someone would, if a challenge came in, think woops, we can do without enforcing this one.
But they don't, time after time we see that on council forum.

Bus stops do seem a magnet to people though, really need to get into their heads that they are far more likely to get away with it stopping on double yellows.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Tue, 6 Feb 2018 - 22:05
Post #3

Member No.: 22,424

I don't understand how a cyclists death has anything to do with a bus lane camera being enforced on Christmas Day.

If a cyclist cycles into a parked car and dies, I think that is natural selection playing out as it should.

Bus lanes being enforced on days where there are no busses is ludicrous at the best of times, so I hope this one gets cancelled. I seriously doubt there isn't a camera in the area which the council could use to corroborate this guys story.

Hopefully whoever at the council has made the decision to enforce this on Christmas Day is one day homeless, and hopefully nobody will show any compassion or help in any way.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Tue, 6 Feb 2018 - 22:20
Post #4

Member No.: 59,924

Come on - it's Leicester's one and only CCTV bus stop and it cost them £45k. They are very proud of it. At all times.

https://www.leicester.gov.uk/news/news-stor...ails/?nId=89188

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Wed, 7 Feb 2018 - 15:14
Post #5

Webmaster
Group Icon

Well, that was quick - it seems even in Leicester someone has a scrap of common sense if you go high enough up the tree.

QUOTE (City of Leicester Mayor)
Sir Peter Soulsby, the city mayor, said to punish Mr Williamson for doing a "good deed" was "absolutely crazy".
:
:
"You can take rules to a crazy extreme. We should do everything we can to make absolutely certain that Lee is not punished for doing this good deed and his parking fine is cancelled."

Not that it was clear from that whether the mayor actually has the power to overturn the fine, or has got agreement to do so, or is just making a wish.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Wed, 7 Feb 2018 - 16:08
Post #6

QUOTE (Fredd @ Wed, 7 Feb 2018 - 15:14) *
.........Not that it was clear from that whether the mayor actually has the power to overturn the fine, or has got agreement to do so, or is just making a wish.

I would think that if the mayor had a quiet word in the shell like of the head of the Parking Dept, all would be covered.
Hopefully a quiet word along the lines of WTF are you lot playing at?

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Thu, 8 Feb 2018 - 00:20
Post #7

Member No.: 9,683

Quite. Someone with common sense at last. where did he escape from??

+Quote Post
bill w
post Thu, 8 Feb 2018 - 01:04
Post #8

Member No.: 14,341

QUOTE (roythebus @ Thu, 8 Feb 2018 - 00:20) *
Quite. Someone with common sense at last. where did he escape from??

Not Sheffield, that's for sure.
The thread on my local forum ran to 9 pages on why Bus Lanes were enforced on Christmas Day; again, no buses running.

It seems they issue about 7 or 8 tickets per Christmas Day, unlike bank holiday Mondays, which are rather more lucrative; I think just over 3 times as many folk get done on a BH Monday as do on a normal working Monday.

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Thu, 8 Feb 2018 - 09:55
Post #9

Member No.: 21,992

Brighton CEOs are usually out in high numbers on Bank Holidays. That includes Boxing Day.

I think the additional revenue is probably why they call them 'Bank' Holidays.

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 09:46
Post #10

More insanity from a Local Authority:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/08/man-given-pa...n-snow-7295516/

In the news of the utter ridiculous, a motorist has received a £70 parking fine because his permit was hidden by snow. Oliver Claxton, from Chester Green, Derby, was in London for the day when it started snowing back at home.

Unfortunately, and most irresponsibly, he didn’t put heaters underneath his parking permit, failed to pay someone to keep the snow clear from his windscreen and didn’t use his magical powers to prevent the snow from falling on his car. So a worker from Derby City Council put a parking ticket on the driver’s window. He told the BBC, where he works: ‘I thought it was odd because if I wasn’t displaying it I would have got a parking ticket every day because I had left my car there while I was in London.

‘I was thinking what could it possibly be that meant they couldn’t see the permit on this particular day? ‘When you go on the website they have the photographs they took and the reason the permit wasn’t visible was because it had snowed overnight and the windscreen was covered in snow. I just laughed. It was ridiculous.’ He added that if they had swept the snow away, they would have seen the permit.

The council said it is now looking into the case and that it would respond to Mr Claxton, who works for the BBC.

Sue Meakin, who worked as a traffic warden for 30 years, said she thought it was ‘silly’ he had been fined. Derby City Council said: ‘We’re not able to comment on individual cases but we are looking into the challenge and will be responding to the individual directly soon.’

Interestingly, in the half sarcastic poll, 16% think he should have made provisions to employ someone to wipe the snow from the windscreen while he was away although I suspect most of those are being sarcy too.

This post has been edited by ManxRed: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 09:48

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 10:14
Post #11

QUOTE (ManxRed @ Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 09:46) *
More insanity from a Local Authority:.............

Just when you think you have seen most types of stupid enforcement from local authorities, another sneaks in to further beggar belief.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 11:30
Post #12

Webmaster
Group Icon

What's surprising about that case is that there aren't dozens of others queuing up to complain about being ticketed in that road on that day; surely the knuckle-dragger responsible for not seeing through snow on one car would have been consistently stupid with all the others?

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 11:44
Post #13

Maybe there were, but the guy in question works for the BBC so maybe had an advantage in getting it into the media?

--------------------

+Quote Post
freddy1
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 21:21
Post #14

Member No.: 9,897

and the warden has now admitted that when checking if the vehicle held a permit he did not know the difference between o and 0 , yup its on the bbc news (website)

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 21:34
Post #15

QUOTE (freddy1 @ Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 21:21) *
and the warden has now admitted that when checking if the vehicle held a permit he did not know the difference between o and 0 , yup its on the bbc news (website)

No, not quite.
He said a letter from the council explained it was an administrative error, because the official checked Mr Claxton's number plate on a handheld device and it showed no permit was assigned to the car.
However, it later emerged the number plate had been recorded incorrectly, with the last digit stated as a zero not the letter "O".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-43002171

Seems if a permit is not visible, CEO checks against a database. Which had the offending digit incorrect.

Or council BS to explain a c0ckup by the CEO.

Takes your pick.

+Quote Post
freddy1
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 21:40
Post #16

yes and if a "trained" enforcement officer can make this mistake , what chance have the general public , when the keypad on the terminal has a digit that is not used on UK reg cars

This post has been edited by freddy1: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 21:41

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 22:07
Post #17

QUOTE (freddy1 @ Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 21:40) *
yes and if a "trained" enforcement officer can make this mistake , what chance have the general public , when the keypad on the terminal has a digit that is not used on UK reg cars

The story infers that the CEO got it right.
But that backroom staff populating the database made the error.
I would assume they were using a standard qwerty keyboard

I'm not a fan of the antics we see from many CEOs and councils but trying to turn the BBC report into CEO error is perhaps stretching it a little far.
Whether they should have been bothering with enforcement in snow is one argument but if they have the tools to check and used them, cannot really complain about the CEO.
Nor the council when they check, acknowledge and explain an error and cancel.
And the story does go onto say that the admin staff were being told of the error.

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 22:10

+Quote Post
freddy1
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 22:19
Post #18

the backroom staff took there there input , from the imput entered by the CEO , had he/she have typed it correctly , no enforcement was needed (snow) however if the CEO has not been trained , or has equipment that accepts a non existent VRN , what chance the public

"The story infers that the CEO got it right."

NO the ceo entered the wrong vrn!

the article on the BBC website has been altered from the origional

update 7 hrs ago , the original stating the CEO entered wrong VRN was at o9.00 this morning

This post has been edited by freddy1: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 22:24

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 22:33
Post #19

Ah well, not seen that version.

We do know that CEOs get it wrong with number inputs.
Gets a few PCNs cancelled every year.

+Quote Post
freddy1
post Fri, 9 Feb 2018 - 22:41
Post #20

very quickly edited , as per BBC

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 06:51
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here