PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Taxi and Private Hire Driving
AspiringCabbie
post Tue, 27 Nov 2018 - 05:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101,151

I am currently a courier for yodel, the working conditions and pay are appauling - can anyone who as either done the job or knows someone who has advice me of the following, so I know which route to take next

Which is better - Private Hire or Hackney Carriage driving?

What are the hours and earnings like?

What are the overall profit/Earnings like?

If hackney carriage is it best to work for a company or as an "independent."?

Will any motoring convictions affect me? I have recently completed a speed awareness course (36 in a 30)

I cannot work like this anymore rushing around for next to nothing.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Advertisement
post Tue, 27 Nov 2018 - 05:19
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Tue, 27 Nov 2018 - 09:50
Post #2

Member No.: 39,245

Speed awareness course isn't a conviction.

In London, you need to get a licence either way. For private hire they will do an enhanced criminal record check, but not sure a speeding conviction would bar you. For hackney carriage driving you will need to do "the knowledge" too. Satnav and googling where something is isn't good enough.

Black cabs can pick up on the street, private hire drivers cannot and pick up fares booked by licenced operators. It used to be little cab firms all over the place plus a few bigger ones but Uber has improved things for the drivers who will be able to pick up from anywhere, and are probably therefore far better placed than they were before.

Black cab drivers probably make more money. Otherwise I guess there would be less incentive to be one.

+Quote Post
AspiringCabbie
post Tue, 27 Nov 2018 - 16:00
Post #3

I'm looking at areas around Carlisle so Newcastle is a possibility

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Wed, 28 Nov 2018 - 13:32
Post #4

Member No.: 16,066

Search for 'taxi driver online' and sign up. There are a load of knowledgeable folk on there, some from the areas you mention.

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Sat, 1 Dec 2018 - 00:40
Post #5

Member No.: 9,683

I'd second what cabbyman says.

Avoid Uber like the plague, they are the biggest bunch of shysters on earth. Their fares are low for one reason, and that is low wages/earnings for their drivers.

Private hire or hackney, you'll be doing long hours. Many people think they're driving round in a 4-wheeled money box. i tried it for a few years and lost money for the hours i put in, working in a rural area with no radio circuit. Get an airport run yeah, you don't even get 40p a mile especially when you take into account you won't get a return fare. From my place to LHR was 102 miles each way, usually more that 6 hours drive/hang about, and get £100 for it? No profit there at all, just cash turnover. I could stay in bed and not lose money.

Do the accounts first before you dive in. HP on a new car, road tax, taxi insurance upwards of £1500 a year, licence fees, fuel, maintenance, 2 MoT style tests a year, tyre costs, NI contributions, parking fees, cleaning costs, radio fees if you're on a radio circuit.

Go bus driving, that way you're guaranteed work for life.

+Quote Post
AspiringCabbie
post Sat, 1 Dec 2018 - 15:28
Post #6

Thanks for the advice I will sign up for taxi driver online, I will also look at a PSV license for bus driving.

This post has been edited by AspiringCabbie: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 - 15:30

+Quote Post
Korting
post Sun, 2 Dec 2018 - 00:17
Post #7

Member No.: 37,524

QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Tue, 27 Nov 2018 - 09:50) *
Black cab drivers probably make more money. Otherwise I guess there would be less incentive to be one.

Not necessarily, Uber has taken a lot of their business because although they cant ply for hire in the street, the can be booked via the app, which to all intents and purposes is the same.

Most Uber drivers have no idea where they are going they just follow the satnav.

Black cabs are very expensive. though leasing may be the only way forward for most drivers

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/9845...priced-at-55599

in other words double the price of a Prius.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Sun, 2 Dec 2018 - 01:59
Post #8

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Korting @ Sun, 2 Dec 2018 - 00:17) *
Most Uber drivers have no idea where they are going they just follow the satnav.

Which, apart from most (?) black cab drivers in a restricted part of central London, applies to the majority of taxi drivers regardless of their licence.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
Korting
post Sun, 2 Dec 2018 - 09:10
Post #9

Member No.: 37,524

Some time ago, a friend and I got an Uber taxi to Westminster Station, but the driver took us to St James Station, when we told the Driver, he'sd got the wrong station, he said "Where is Westminster Station?"

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Mon, 3 Dec 2018 - 21:41
Post #10

Member No.: 22,424

Newcastle seems like a terrible place to taxi. Cheap fares, far too many taxi (you never ever have to wait for one down there) and the drunks are worse than most cities I've been in.

The drivers I've experienced are dodgy as hell- one didn't want to take us a short journey (suggested we walked) and another didn't know how to get to the Citroen garage in Gateshead- got really aggressive when I criticised his driving as he turned up a no entry street too. I choose to walk from the city over the bridge now on a night out now rather than give the shysters my cash.

As for Carlisle... I can't imagine it being lucrative.

Why not train as a bus driver or similar? Or Stobarts down your way have a driver training scheme if you fancied your HGV...

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 4 Dec 2018 - 17:26
Post #11

Member No.: 90,659

I would guess it is based on the area. Around here in day time there always seems to be a big queue of drivers, few customers and I can't imagine the average fare is much. Can't say I would bother to turn up to work for that money and considerable costs. At least with Yodel you are making money every hour even if it isn't much.

You are also joining an industry which is currently being undercut by Uber.

You could look at a different type of courier work. We use self employed couriers to move notes, blood samples etc. between hospital sites. They get paid per package but of course they can normally do a few packages at a time. I know they say they make decent money.

Otherwise I would definitely go employed. The bus company here has put a banner outside their garage saying their average wages with overtime are £27k for local and £33k for long distance. Seems alright seeing as the vehicle, fuel and customers are laid on for you.

The final perhaps left field option is to look at the software you can get now that allows customers to "hail" a minibus, like a high tech version of the minibuses you can hail in the Middle East. Here you pay £2.50 and they will take you anywhere you want within the east side of the city, although obviously you wait your turn whilst they drop other people on the way off. Seems very popular here, and again safe from Uber. Would require a bit of planning though.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 - 17:27

+Quote Post
matssundin13uk
post Wed, 5 Dec 2018 - 04:20
Post #12

Member No.: 38,459

What about train driving? Much better money, better hours and better work/life balance.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Thu, 6 Dec 2018 - 18:20
Post #13

Member No.: 22,424

QUOTE (matssundin13uk @ Wed, 5 Dec 2018 - 04:20) *
What about train driving? Much better money, better hours and better work/life balance.

Try getting into train driving... there were 12700 people (myself included btw) who applied for 100 jobs in Scotland a couple of years ago!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...siness-34346101

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Thu, 6 Dec 2018 - 18:50
Post #14

Member No.: 9,683

Been there done it! Train driving these days they only take those who can pass the aptitude test, can remember things, pass another written and practical exam and don't question what they're told. The money's excellent though.

After I done with that in 1988 done a bit of courier work for a coupe of months round London, chasing round all day for very little, so went back to bus driving part-time, something I still do, having also done private hire driving on the Romney Marsh. There's no money in rural cab driving as there's so much dead mileage you can't charge for.

As others have said the cab trade in general is being undercut by uber everywhere. I would never suggest working for them or getting in one of their cars.

If you live in Carlisle try Stagecoach Buses. The money there isn't as good as in London, but it's steady work and you shouldn't have to dash around too much. hours will be shift work, but I can't imaging too many late night buses round Carlisle. And there will always be work once you have the licence.

Edited to add if you go for taxi or private hire driving, you'll have to have a DBS check and do some sort of knowledge test. From what I've read o the taxi driver forum work isn't too brisk in Carlisle. At least with private hire you can work for yourself if you want or operate on a circuit with others.

This post has been edited by roythebus: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 - 18:53

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 06:51
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here