PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Got pulled over ..... then let off., Speeding on a dual carriageway......
M12MTR
post Fri, 3 Nov 2017 - 18:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94,909

Hi all. Looking for some advice and your knowledge.

On Sunday gone I was travelling on a 70mph dual carriageway .... pressing on but never above 78mph as I had my speed limiter on.

The road merged into 4 lanes so I indicated left to go in the nearside Lane (as the highway code states) only to see overhead signs which stated left 2 lanes were to turn off to another dual carriageway..... so I indicated right to head back to my correct road and continue North.

As I was continuing with my journey I did pass on the inside an Asda HGV who was in Lane 3.

I continued up the road. About 5 miles later a marked BMW 5 Series came flying up my rear with his lights on. I immediately pulled over into the petrol station about 300m up the road.

The policeman said he was tailing my driving for several miles and he said I overtook on the inside and was driving well in excess of the speed limit. He showed me his video.... he was a good 400m behind me with several cars in between us with no actual clear view of my car.

I was polite and explained I didn't know the road as never travel it and I genuinely moved left to follow the road and then realised I was on the wrong road and then corrected my road lane. My indicators were clearly seen to show my intentions. He then claimed I "must have been doing nearly 100mph as he had to do 120mph plus to catch me".

I was polite and explained I couldn't have been doing such speed and that he was chasing me to catch me hence his high speed.

He didn't seem interested and I thought he was going to throw the book at me. Then he received a call on his ear piece.... and he then ignored me.... he dropped the rear windows and then said he could smell alcohol..... it was 4.20pm and I didn't have a drop all day at all... I suggested it was the fish and chips (vinegar) me and my son had shared 30 minutes earlier in Whitby.... to which he gave me the talk about "I've been a patrol officer for.... and I know the smell when I smell it" so he breathalysed me..... zero was the result. As it should be.

Then he told me to open the rear door myself..... as he got another call on his ear piece.... I tried but the child locks were on.... to which he said "that's why I dropped the windows.... use the outside handle.... get out as a more important call has come through.... off you go" he said.

I said "sorry and my lesson is learned".... to which I walked to my car and he got a stinger out his boot and readied it for use next to the road.

I drove to the other side of the petrol station car park and watched him for a couple of minutes. He waited and spoke on his radio..... for another car for him to stop I presume. I decided not to hang about any longer.

My question is will I receive a NIP / summons in the post following this?

He never stated that he was reporting me or even looked at or took my driving licence details. In fact the only thing he asked was "is it your car?".

Your help is much appreciated.

Mark.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 31)
Advertisement
post Fri, 3 Nov 2017 - 18:02
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Tue, 7 Nov 2017 - 20:43
Post #21

Member No.: 5,183

QUOTE (M12MTR @ Tue, 7 Nov 2017 - 20:31) *
Would they not obtain my details from the Reg no? (Should 'he' decide to take it further??).

That's what JLC said:

If the officer noted the car registration then they'd need to send a NIP/s172 to the registered keeper to identify the driver.

+Quote Post
M12MTR
post Tue, 1 May 2018 - 19:27
Post #22

Hi all.

Just to update this thread. 6 months passed (since I was stopped by the patrol car) on Sunday 29th April. And so far nothing in the post.

Does anyone know if the Police were to send a summons does this have to arrive WITHIN 6 months or SCRIPTED within 6 months . .... meaning it 'may' arrive in the post anytime now?

(Granted I may be over thinking this - fingers crossed).

Thanks for all help / advice.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 1 May 2018 - 19:46
Post #23

Member No.: 49,223

It could still arrive after 6 months. I'd give it another painful 4 weeks.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
M12MTR
post Tue, 1 May 2018 - 19:55
Post #24

Cheers. Not to be pedantic but how can the authorities be allowed to 'extend' the time frames?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 1 May 2018 - 20:11
Post #25

Member No.: 317

They can’t, they have to commence proceedings (raising the paperwork) within six months, however sending it to you can happen outside that.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Tue, 1 May 2018 - 20:11
Post #26

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (M12MTR @ Tue, 1 May 2018 - 20:55) *
Cheers. Not to be pedantic but how can the authorities be allowed to 'extend' the time frames?

They aren’t. There is no requirement to serve the paperwork within six months, so they’re not extending the time frame at all.

This post has been edited by southpaw82: Tue, 1 May 2018 - 20:12

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Tue, 1 May 2018 - 20:12
Post #27

Member No.: 5,183

QUOTE (M12MTR @ Tue, 1 May 2018 - 20:55) *

They can't. They have to raise the paperwork within 6 months, it can take a few weeks before it is served.

+Quote Post
BertB
post Wed, 2 May 2018 - 12:53
Post #28

Member No.: 51,087

QUOTE (M12MTR @ Tue, 1 May 2018 - 19:27) *
Hi all.

Just to update this thread. 6 months passed (since I was stopped by the patrol car) on Sunday 29th April. And so far nothing in the post.

Does anyone know if the Police were to send a summons does this have to arrive WITHIN 6 months or SCRIPTED within 6 months . .... meaning it 'may' arrive in the post anytime now?

Thanks for all help / advice.

Did you ever receive a request to identify the driver through the post?

QUOTE (M12MTR @ Tue, 1 May 2018 - 19:27) *

That does seem to have been the theme of the thread laugh.gif

+Quote Post
M12MTR
post Wed, 2 May 2018 - 16:15
Post #29

No request to identify the driver / no NIP in post or at time of stop by Policeman.

This post has been edited by M12MTR: Wed, 2 May 2018 - 16:16

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Wed, 2 May 2018 - 17:25
Post #30

QUOTE (M12MTR @ Wed, 2 May 2018 - 17:15) *
No request to identify the driver / no NIP in post or at time of stop by Policeman.

Did you identify yourself to the police officer? If so, no need for a s 172.

If the officer warned you that you might be prosecuted, no need for an NIP.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
M12MTR
post Wed, 2 May 2018 - 21:01
Post #31

No. As earlier post:
At the time of stop only asked "is it your vehicle?". No other questions about me or my details at all.
Also no mention of "you will be prosecuted / reported to.... " or anything similar.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Wed, 2 May 2018 - 21:48
Post #32

I really CBA reading back through your thread. It sounds like nothing more will come of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 15:29
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here