PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Smart Parking fine for dropping off at charity shop, ANPR camera picked up car dropping off charity shop bits
WhatAcountry
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 13:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,764

As the topic says, my car got a parking fine from SmartParking for driving around the back of the shops to where the back door drop off is for the charity shop. No parking space was used and surely this row of shops has a loading / unloading space that they are allowed to use?

It was just over 10 minutes because they didn't open the door quick enough and take the stuff. Not like people working at a charity shop should be told to hurry up, SmartParking are going to fine me £60!

When speaking with someone who works there, he said loads of people are being done and they pay it. Thought he would've been able to say something like, there is a loading space that is private and you're allowed to use it.

It is Union House, Billericay car park, but the row of shops have their back doors around that area.

Do you think explaining the facts is enough to get this cancelled?

Thanks

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Advertisement
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 13:27
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Redivi
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 13:48
Post #2

Member No.: 96,238

Smart only ever cancel Parking Notices if the motorist makes a second appeal to POPLA

If you want an easier life, the company and its debt collectors are completely safe to ignore

The shop needs to give people this advice instead of paying the charges

Don't think the Charity Commission would be impressed by the improper use of charity funds

+Quote Post
WhatAcountry
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 14:30
Post #3

Redivi, thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure my wife will want me to just ignore them, especially if it involves debt collectors. Even though this may be the best way to handle these robbers, I think I will have a problem putting her mind at ease.

Appealing to POPLA, is there a specific template to use with them and is it ideal to state all the facts to them?

Thanks

+Quote Post
nosferatu1001
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 14:49
Post #4

Member No.: 15,642

debt collectors write letters
they have no powers
They do not turn up on your door.

+Quote Post
Dave65
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 17:22
Post #5

Member No.: 78,368

Can you get photos of the area and of any signs around there?

+Quote Post
WhatAcountry
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 20:06
Post #6

I could get photos (ha, they’d probably send me another ticket for that). It would probably have to be at the weekend now which will be too late before the first appeal date.

What would you suggest doing with the photos? They must know the shops have bins and back doors tonload stuff in, I just can’t understand how these shops get away with it or if they’re actually paying to park when unloading. The worker didn’t seem to know much about it, just that everyone are complaining and paying the fines. His reaction to be being told there will never be another drop off of donations if it costs £60, was “That’s a shame”

+Quote Post
ostell
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 22:32
Post #7

Member No.: 60,457

Is this the car park, behind Cancer Research? The signs are saying max 1 hour parking but the photos are 2016.

Perhaps someone has twigged that the charity will pay and the tickets are put on regardless. Photos of signs etc definitely required.

+Quote Post
SchoolRunMum
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 22:35
Post #8

Member No.: 32,130

QUOTE (Redivi @ Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 14:48) *
Smart only ever cancel Parking Notices if the motorist makes a second appeal to POPLA

That's not the case, Redivi.

Smart always still cancel first try when they see the MSE NEWBIES thread 'rant' appeal!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showth...d.php?t=4816822

The employee at the charity shop needs to be shown that link & to hand it out to people to appeal like that, and win every time. Smart PCNs are so easy to beat, as long as no-one blabs about the story of what happened and gives away who was driving.

+Quote Post
WhatAcountry
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 15:29
Post #9

Thanks SchoolRunMum,

I know the rules state not to copy and paste etc to threads, but there are so many templates and cases, I just want to make sure I have the one that you mean and I have added a little to it.

Can you confirm this would be ok to use for their online appeal please?

Re PCN number: XXXXXXXXXX

I dispute your 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny any liability or contractual agreement. There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn.

Since your PCN is a vague template, I require all photos taken, a clear image of the signage and an explanation of the allegation (e.g. if you have identified a wrong VRN input at a machine, say so, and explain why your Data Protection Officer has not simply rectified it, rather than trying to punish a driver for a matter where there is nothing to deter).

I will be making a formal complaint about your predatory conduct to your client landowner and to my MP, appraising all parties of the debate where Parliament agreed: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists...should not have to put up with this''. Firms of your ilk were unanimously condemned as operating an 'outrageous scam' (Hansard 2.2.18). The BPA & IPC were heavily criticised; hardly surprising for an industry where so-called AOS members admit to letting victims 'futilely go through the motions' of appeal and that 'we make it up most of the time' (BBC Watchdog).

It is disgusting that you are using unfounded allegations of wrongful parking on people trying to innocently donate to a charity shop, as communicated by workers at the shop. These charities rely on people being able to donate to keep their shops actively making money and I'm sure the Charity Regulators will be very concerned to see that this is happening and a further note to be taken by my local MP.

Formal note:
Should you later pursue this charge by way of litigation, note that service of any legal documents by email is expressly disallowed and you are not entitled to assume that the data in this dispute/appeal remains the current address for service.
Yours faithfully,

Keepers name and postal address here

+Quote Post
SchoolRunMum
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 23:18
Post #10

Member No.: 32,130

Yes that's fine but you can remove this bit that I wrote into the template when the forums saw a spate of 'wrong VRN' fake PCN rip off efforts:

(e.g. if you have identified a wrong VRN input at a machine, say so, and explain why your Data Protection Officer has not simply rectified it, rather than trying to punish a driver for a matter where there is nothing to deter).

Oh and you could add that the driver didn't actually park, because unloading a bag or to at the charity shop back door which had to be unlocked by staff, is not parking. But no saying ''I'' or ''me'' of course. You are appealing as the registered keeper only.

+Quote Post
WhatAcountry
post Thu, 15 Nov 2018 - 11:47
Post #11

Wonderful. I will use this and post back the outcome.

Thank you for your advice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 08:35
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here