Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 86,418

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - October 2021
Date of the NIP: - 6 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 9 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - o/s ref 413469414776, a616 woodhead road, south of jct with Taylor Hill Rd, (Bi Directional), between Lockwood Scar & Sunny Brow, Huddersfield
Was the NIP addressed to you? - No
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? - Registered keeper is my daughter, but I use the car
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Dark evening, tired after a long day, had gone wrong way and put sat nav on, so now on an unfamiliar route at national speed limit.
It was dark and poorly lit, didn't see the change in speed restriction or any warning of cameras, as I came round a bend, the first I knew of it was a flash from a camera that nearly made me jump.
Noticed then very thin modern camera and small 30mph sign. I was doing 42mph, which felt safe, especially as I thought I was in a 60 or at worts a 40.

My daughter is registered keeper and I don't want to cause her any issues, and I possibly deserve what I got, but it seemed a sneaky place to have a speed camera on what felt like a national speed limit road.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - No
Is the NIP addressed to you personally? - No

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Do nothing!

The police are not requesting the information from you, they are requesting it from the person the NIP is addressed to.
    Wait until you receive a NIP addressed to you personally, then come back here.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 13:47:28 +0000
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 25)
Advertisement
post Sat, 16 Oct 2021 - 13:47
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 22 Oct 2021 - 10:13
Post #21

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Irksome @ Fri, 22 Oct 2021 - 09:35) *
If the street lighting is off in the hours of darkness how can the motorist know that there is a compliant system of street lighting?

You'd pass a terminal sign or if starting within the limit your headlights would allow you to see the system (or repeaters to the contrary).

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 22 Oct 2021 - 11:45
Post #22

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 22 Oct 2021 - 11:13) *
QUOTE (Irksome @ Fri, 22 Oct 2021 - 09:35) *
If the street lighting is off in the hours of darkness how can the motorist know that there is a compliant system of street lighting?

You'd pass a terminal sign or if starting within the limit your headlights would allow you to see the system (or repeaters to the contrary).

Actually no terminal sign is required, but as you say your headlights would allow you to see the street lighting columns.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law. Section 6 of the Interpretation Act 1978 applies to everything I post as it would apply to an Act of Parliament. I am a Conservative party member, this means some people think I am "scum". No, I am not a lawyer. I do not charge any fees, please stop asking me what my fees are.

+Quote Post
SickofScammers
post Thu, 11 Nov 2021 - 22:25
Post #23

it turns out they don't switch the streetlights on on that stretch of road ..... this will explain why I didn't realise I was in a 30 but is that not a defence?

I've now had the NIP dated 19/10/21 received 10/11/21 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Thu, 11 Nov 2021 - 22:42
Post #24

Member No.: 23,623

QUOTE (SickofScammers @ Thu, 11 Nov 2021 - 22:25) *
it turns out they don't switch the streetlights on on that stretch of road ..... this will explain why I didn't realise I was in a 30 but is that not a defence?

To be a restricted road, it has to have a system of street lighting. I don't think there is any requirement for them to be switched on.

The NIP you speak of, is it the second one (the first having gone to your daughter)? Only the first NIP has any time constraints. In fact it is only the first NIP that is required at all. Subsequent NIPS are provided as a courtesy. If it is the first (addressed to your daughter) she must respond to the request for driver's details or she will commit a separate more serious offence. But you may have a defence to a speeding allegation as a NIP must be served on the RK within 14 days of the alleged offence. The problem is, there is an assumption that it is served two days after posting and you will have to prove that it wasn't.

+Quote Post
SickofScammers
post Fri, 12 Nov 2021 - 11:59
Post #25

QUOTE (NewJudge @ Thu, 11 Nov 2021 - 22:42) *
QUOTE (SickofScammers @ Thu, 11 Nov 2021 - 22:25) *

To be a restricted road, it has to have a system of street lighting. I don't think there is any requirement for them to be switched on.

The NIP you speak of, is it the second one (the first having gone to your daughter)? Only the first NIP has any time constraints. In fact it is only the first NIP that is required at all. Subsequent NIPS are provided as a courtesy. If it is the first (addressed to your daughter) she must respond to the request for driver's details or she will commit a separate more serious offence. But you may have a defence to a speeding allegation as a NIP must be served on the RK within 14 days of the alleged offence. The problem is, there is an assumption that it is served two days after posting and you will have to prove that it wasn't.

Yes, it's a 2nd NIP
My daughter responded to the first one with my details and I have just received this one dated 19/10/21
It seems pretty clear on it that they want me to respond within 28 days to confirm my details?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 12 Nov 2021 - 12:29
Post #26

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (SickofScammers @ Fri, 12 Nov 2021 - 11:59) *
It seems pretty clear on it that they want me to respond within 28 days to confirm my details?

That would normally be the case, yes.

As far as I'm aware there is no case law around the need for the physical system of lighting to be illuminated to count as an actual system of street lightning. Of course when writing the statute parliament didn't really consider the possibility that an authority would go to the expense of installing a system of lighting and not then power it on.

The law does require a limit to be adequately conveyed but which way a court would roll with this is no more predictable in my eyes than a coin toss outcome.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 30th November 2021 - 11:44
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.