PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Is undertaking legal?, It is not illegal...
Unzippy
post Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 14:03
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,323

https://bikerandbike.co.uk/undertaking-is-not-illegal/

and the courts are now recognising this and have found in favour of riders who have undertaken, where before the rider may have decided against making a claim on the basis that they believed that they committed an offence.

I thnk I'd like to see these cases referenced.

This post has been edited by Unzippy: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 14:03
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Advertisement
post Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 14:03
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
yen_powell
post Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 14:42
Post #2

Member No.: 2,852

QUOTE (Unzippy @ Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 14:03) *
https://bikerandbike.co.uk/undertaking-is-not-illegal/

and the courts are now recognising this and have found in favour of riders who have undertaken, where before the rider may have decided against making a claim on the basis that they believed that they committed an offence.

I thnk I'd like to see these cases referenced.
I'd be adding about 15 minutes to my daily journey if I didn't use the M11 undertaking lane. Honestly, on some days if you took a picture of the traffic you'd think lane 3 was the inside lane and we drive on the right.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 17:25
Post #3

Member No.: 14,720

"Is undertaking legal?, It is not illegal..."

AFAIK, it doesn't exist as an offence, therefore has never been illegal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 17:45
Post #4

Member No.: 47,602

Note that "one of the UK’s leading experts on motorcycle safety and road law" quotes the wrong definition for careless driving.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 17:46
Post #5

Member No.: 18,483

It's illegal if it is careless, inconsiderate, or dangerous. It's not a stand alone offence though.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 17:55
Post #6

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Tue, 21 Mar 2017 - 17:46) *
It's illegal if it is careless, inconsiderate, or dangerous.

That has always been my understanding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unzippy
post Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 07:04
Post #7

Member No.: 66,323

What would a legal undertake look like?

Lane one, under the speed limit, appropiate for the conditions, no swerving or random braking or accelerating?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 11:25
Post #8

Member No.: 317

Yup, passing a CLOC member using lane 1 driving in a safe manner would 'seem to be' completely legal.

Noting that careless driving is very subjective.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
StationCat
post Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 13:11
Post #9

Member No.: 66,671

QUOTE (Unzippy @ Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 07:04) *

Lane one, under the speed limit, appropiate for the conditions, no swerving or random braking or accelerating?

Highway Code Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

--------------------
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things" - Isaac Newton

+Quote Post
spanner345
post Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 14:02
Post #10

Member No.: 14,394

QUOTE (StationCat @ Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 13:11) *

Highway Code Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

The highway code is not the law!

--------------------
ARSE DRINK FECK........

DRINK MORE
TOILET DUCK
50 mls vodka
50 mls Red Bull
330 mls Blue Wkd
25 mls tequila

+Quote Post
post Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 14:23
Post #11

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (spanner345 @ Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 14:02) *
QUOTE (StationCat @ Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 13:11) *

Highway Code Rule 268

The highway code is not the law!

No, but the Road Traffic Act 1988 is, and says "A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of the Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings (whether civil or criminal ....) be relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or negative any liability which is in question in those proceedings."

I'd suggest that ignoring Rule 268 is not the act of a careful and competent driver, and hence meets the definition of careless driving.

+Quote Post
spanner345
post Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 14:56
Post #12

Member No.: 14,394

"A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of the Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings (whether civil or criminal ....) be relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or negative any liability which is in question in those proceedings."

A section in the highway code where a law is broken, the law is quoted. Rule 268 does not have this.

Also wording changes from do not to MUST NOT.

This post has been edited by spanner345: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 14:59

--------------------
ARSE DRINK FECK........

DRINK MORE
TOILET DUCK
50 mls vodka
50 mls Red Bull
330 mls Blue Wkd
25 mls tequila

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 23:55
Post #13

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (spanner345 @ Wed, 22 Mar 2017 - 14:56) *
"A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of the Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings (whether civil or criminal ....) be relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or negative any liability which is in question in those proceedings."

A section in the highway code where a law is broken, the law is quoted. Rule 268 does not have this.

Also wording changes from do not to MUST NOT.

Accept that fully and cannot imagine a case getting to court based simply on the Highway Code.
But can imagine a case getting to court where the Highway Code is cited in support of careless, dangerous or inconsiderate driving.

Far too many people sit in the wrong lane and many now seem to regard undertaking as the norm, both are wrong if not illegal as such.
Common examples of the generally pee poor driving standards on the road.

+Quote Post
silverfox60017
post Thu, 23 Mar 2017 - 08:16
Post #14

Member No.: 33,662

cuople of senences tken, possibly out of context!!!

keep up with traffic in your lane

Scenario

lane 2/3 has the normal lemmings in it doing less than NSL

L1 however is clear as far as a mile ahead, there is traffic in it

Therefore i can go past at the NSL to catch the traffic ahead of me and keep up with it?

Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtakes

Scenario 2

as 1 but L3 is clear and there is one or more of the lemmings

I am in L1 gaining, therefore in order to overtake 'legally' i must 'weave' from 1-2-3-2-1 to pass them!

I found this whilst not official it does explain such a move as weaving!!!

Weaving Across Lanes Explained. When operating a motor vehicle, it is sometimes necessary to cross into another lane. Whether you're avoiding an obstacle on the highway, a pothole or just need to move into the passing lane to get around a slow-moving vehicle, it is not always a traffic offense to weave across lanes.
Weaving Across Lanes Explained - What Is Failure To Maintain Lane?
www.failuretomaintainlane.com/weavingacrosslanesexplained.html

I must get a hobby!!!

+Quote Post
TheDisapprovingB...
post Fri, 24 Mar 2017 - 16:34
Post #15

Member No.: 78,371

My understanding has always been broadly in line with the HC. In a nutshell, if you're holding your speed in Lane 1, and happen to pass a middle lane hogger, I wouldn't say that was usually going to be careless or dangerous. If you're sitting behind somebody in lane 3 and drop into lane 1 or 2 to fly past them, that very probably is.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Mon, 27 Mar 2017 - 20:00
Post #16

Member No.: 9,683

The HC also says that you should drive in the left lane and that lanes 2 and 3 are used for overtsking. In my view those that do not move back to lane 1 after overtaking should be done for careless driving.

This post has been edited by roythebus: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 - 20:52

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 07:41
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here