PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Stopped By Mway Police - Not Followed Long Enough For Them To Record My Speed
Bigwizzard
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 13:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 92,480

Travelling on the A1M late last night and I didn't spot the police sat on the bridge above.

Because of the time it takes them to get down the slip road to chase me, and because I was turning off at the next junction 3 miles away they were never close enough to record my speed.

When they did catch up and stop me all the copper could say, after telling me my rights, was "travelling at over 100mph"

Can the CPS prosecute if the police can't actually prove what speed I was going? Can they use the arguement that they had to go at such and such a speed to catch me therefore I must of been going too fast?

Has anybody got direct experience of this sort of situation they could relay?

Cheers, Paul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 13:39
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Redivi
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 13:44
Post #2

Member No.: 96,238

It doesn't need a measurement of speed

For alleged speeding on a motorway, the opinion of a single police officer that you were exceeding the limit is enough

+Quote Post
Logician
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 14:14
Post #3

Member No.: 36,528

The offence is exceeding the speed limit, not travelling at a particular speed, so that is all they have to prove for a conviction. The speed becomes relevant for sentencing, and the court would be likely to take it as 101mph, which would result in a fine of 150% of weekly net earnings, less 33% for a guilty plea plus a surcharge of 10% (min. £30), plus £85 costs and 6 points or 7 to 56 days disqualification, with 6 points most likely.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bigwizzard
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 15:57
Post #4

QUOTE (Logician @ Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 15:14) *
The offence is exceeding the speed limit, not travelling at a particular speed, so that is all they have to prove for a conviction. The speed becomes relevant for sentencing, and the court would be likely to take it as 101mph, which would result in a fine of 150% of weekly net earnings, less 33% for a guilty plea plus a surcharge of 10% (min. £30), plus £85 costs and 6 points or 7 to 56 days disqualification, with 6 points most likely.

I think they have to proove beyond all reasonable doubt that I was speeding. If I could afford Beckhams laywer I bet he'd get me off unsure.gif

I'll let you know what happens, the cps make the decision to prosecute, maybe they wont be bothered!!

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 16:08
Post #5

Member No.: 49,223

Did they say they were going to progress the matter?

Were they using any speeding gun?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Bigwizzard
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 16:41
Post #6

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 17:08) *
Did they say they were going to progress the matter?

Were they using any speeding gun?

The copper said he would write a report when he got back to the station. The first thing they said to me was to read me my rights, (the anything you may say etc etc) I'm thinking they may of been after some sort of self incrimination.

There was no radar gun, they didn't invite me into their car to watch a video. They haven't a clue what speed I was going, all they can do is guess. Is that enough to prosecute? I don't know dry.gif

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 16:48
Post #7

Member No.: 317

Thier opinion is enough to convict, yes.

If you’re blazing past everything else on the motorway and they’ve been watching the cars for a while, as you well know it’s pretty obvious you’re speeding.

Whether they will take it further is anyone’s guess.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 16:50
Post #8

Have a read of this flamepit thread.

The video may assist the prosecution - depending on what it shows they may be able to calculate a speed.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 17:49
Post #9

Member No.: 42,618

The problem you have is that even if you can raise a reasonable doubt that you weren't going quite as fast as alleged, you're going to be hard pressed to show that the officer was so mistaken that you reasonable might have been doing 70 or less.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
AntonyMMM
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 17:59
Post #10

Member No.: 37,614

If it does end up in court you may want to read up on "Newton Hearings" .... where you admit speeding but dispute the actual speed alleged

+Quote Post
Bigwizzard
post Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 14:58
Post #11

It's been over a month now and I've heard nothing biggrin.gif

Looks like I've dodged a short driving ban. My 27 year clean licence is still intact biggrin.gif

Happy Days.

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 15:00
Post #12

Member No.: 83,810

QUOTE (Bigwizzard @ Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 14:58) *
It's been over a month now and I've heard nothing biggrin.gif

Looks like I've dodged a short driving ban. My 27 year clean licence is still intact biggrin.gif

Happy Days.

If you were cautioned at the roadside then they've got much longer than a month to begin legal proceedings...

--------------------
PCNs sucessfully contested with the help of this forum:
Newham 1/1
Enfield 1/1
Hackney 3/4
Ealing 0/1
LCC 1/1
CoL 1/1

PPC successfully contested with the help of this forum:
UKPC 1/1
TPS 1/1
ECP 0/1

Overall success rate getting tickets overturned: 75%

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 15:02
Post #13

Indeed, 6 months.

--------------------

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 15:14
Post #14

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 15:02) *
Indeed, 6 months.

And they have a horrible habit of taking every day of those 6 months before commencing proceedings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 15:52
Post #15

...and the paperwork can arrive outwith 6 months too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 17:37
Post #16

Member No.: 1,326

QUOTE (Redivi @ Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 13:44) *
It doesn't need a measurement of speed

For alleged speeding on a motorway, the opinion of a single police officer that you were exceeding the limit is enough

I believe it was suggested a couple of years ago that the opinion of one officer, without corroboration, even on a motorway is unlikely to proceed (unless I misread):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t109607.html

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 17:41
Post #17

Member No.: 42,618

Depends, some CPS areas will run stuff that other CPS areas won't. And I really wouldn't bank on prosecutorial discretion, ever, under any circumstances.

This post has been edited by cp8759: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 - 17:41

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Bigwizzard
post Thu, 23 May 2019 - 09:38
Post #18

Well 6 months was up on the 5th of May and I've heard nothing.

Make of that what you will.

I'm of the opinion that they actually need to have proof of speeding for the court to make a decision, and as they haven't I didn't hear anything.

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Thu, 23 May 2019 - 10:54
Post #19

Member No.: 96,238

Court papers can take a month to arrive so you must wait a couple more weeks before you can relax

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 23 May 2019 - 11:11
Post #20

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Bigwizzard @ Thu, 23 May 2019 - 10:38) *
I'm of the opinion that they actually need to have proof of speeding for the court to make a decision, and as they haven't I didn't hear anything.

Unfortunately your opinion is contradicted by the law, however it's rare for them to just rely on opinion based proof these days.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 06:34
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here