Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Multiple PCNs from car park where car is entitled to park
chuck990
post Sun, 19 May 2019 - 18:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 92,912

Hi all,

I have received 2 PCNs (NTK after DVLA lookup) from a private car park run by UKPC. The car park belongs to a school where I coach football for a 3rd party team who rents the pitches etc.

The car park in question always used to be paper permits which the vehicle has always displayed. It has now switched to iPermits where ANPR is used. My vehicle was registered by the head of the 3rd party team on my behalf. After receiving the two PCNs I asked the man who registered me for evidence and from what he's sent me, I think it looks like 'OO' from my reg has been typed as '00' (letters replaced by numbers).

A person looking at the registered cars list would see no issue, but the ANPR has looked up on the database of registered vehicles and not found a match and sent the PCN.
With the typo, the reg is an invalid format, and no other car has that registration so they can't argue a different vehicle was registered.

What are the chances an initial letter explaining the situation will resolve it, and if not, where do I stand legally? The car was registered, but incorrectly, and not by me (though I can't/wont throw the other guy under the bus).

Many thanks

This post has been edited by chuck990: Sun, 19 May 2019 - 18:59
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Sun, 19 May 2019 - 18:56
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Redivi
post Sun, 19 May 2019 - 19:13
Post #2

Member No.: 96,238

UKPC is not in the habit of accepting appeals so I would punish them for their greed

Appeal each parking notice separately as the registered keeper

Put in soft appeals that say nothing more than that the registration number was entered by a third party
Would they please inspect their records for a similar number

When UKPC rejects each appeal it will provide the access code for an independent appeal to POPLA

The POPLA instructions to operators say that they will accept appeals when there is a trivial mistake and the identity of the car is obvious
Your appeals to POPLA must include the details of the entry and a reminder of this instruction

UKPC will be charged £30 for each appeal whether or not they contest it

As an aside, the requirement to enter the full registration is, in my view, an unfair commercial practice
It has no purpose except to increase the possibility of a mistake that will result in a penalty out of all proportion to it and can easily be caused by a sticky keypad

The last three letters of the registration have about 15000 combinations
This is more than enough to identify a vehicle in a small car park

+Quote Post
chuck990
post Mon, 20 May 2019 - 08:19
Post #3

QUOTE (Redivi @ Sun, 19 May 2019 - 20:13) *
The POPLA instructions to operators say that they will accept appeals when there is a trivial mistake and the identity of the car is obvious

This is just what I wanted to hear! smile.gif Do you have a reference for that fact? Or can you point me where to look please?

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Mon, 20 May 2019 - 19:48
Post #4

Member No.: 96,238

I think it's in the latest POPLA annual report but don't have a link

+Quote Post
chuck990
post Tue, 21 May 2019 - 09:25
Post #5

The latest POPLA report found here does talk about "simple keying errors" on page 6+7. It states that the BPA have issued guidance to operators (October 2017) "suggesting" that they should "consider" cancelling charges.

This isn't quite as cut and dry as I would have liked. Might it be worth, should UKPC not allow an initial appeal, finding further fault in any POPLA appeal?

(POPLA link in full: https://popla.co.uk/docs/default-source/def...8.pdf?sfvrsn=0)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 13:12
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here