2 [ 23 ] ** [88.46%]
Total Votes: 26
Guests cannot vote 
mickT
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 07:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,034

so, I have a different opinion about lane discipline than someone else, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

imagine you're approaching this road layout from the yellow arrow, you want to get into the lane marked with yellow circle, what lane should you take at the arrow?

note: upper rainham road traffic is traffic light controlled so nothing coming from that way.

This post has been edited by mickT: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 09:45
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 07:37
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 07:43
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

Either.

But if you subsequently plan to turn left then it would make sense to take the left side (and right for right).

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 08:21
Post #3

Member No.: 47,602

Holding a poll is not necessarily going to get the right answer. Particularly if you confuse the issue by defying convention and numbering the lanes from right to left.

+Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 08:26
Post #4

Member No.: 52,178

There appear to be no road markings saying which lane for which direction on the A125, so in theory, either. Given no more information, I would choose 2, as there's less risk of cutting anyone off while having to move left. But it would depend on things like traffic levels at the time, and the "typical" movement of traffic across that junction at whatever time of day (if a regular user of the junction).

+Quote Post
mickT
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 08:30
Post #5

QUOTE (666 @ Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 09:21) *
Holding a poll is not necessarily going to get the right answer. Particularly if you confuse the issue by defying convention and numbering the lanes from right to left.

not looking for a right answer as i'm not sure there is one, just opinion

re. numbering, semantics surely, does it matter?

--------------------

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 08:34
Post #6

Member No.: 5,183

QUOTE (mickT @ Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 09:30) *
re. numbering, semantics surely, does it matter?

It might skew the voting. I almost didn't spot the numbering and would have assumed (whilst voting) that 1 was the left lane etc.

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 08:48
Post #7

Member No.: 96,238

I would take the left hand Lane #2

If you take Lane #1 you have to move over two lanes in a short distance
You also risk cutting up anyone in Lane #2 who continues round AND the traffic in Upper Rainham Road that wants to go right

+Quote Post
TryOut
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 09:02
Post #8

Member No.: 103,734

2 would cause less need to cut-across traffic and is likely to reduce congestion and the risk of collision and upset.

I would not be surprised at all if some drivers preferred lane 1 and to cut-across the traffic needlessly because some drivers "just have to be on and in the right".

If your "lane discipline" makes you prefer lane 1 then you would probably be outside of a group of drivers that were termed careful and competent. Hopefully all drivers would choose lane 2 if they were familiar with the road.

Just looked and see it is in Essex...nobody is really going to care.

This post has been edited by TryOut: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 09:05

+Quote Post
mickT
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 09:09
Post #9

QUOTE (TryOut @ Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 10:02) *
2 would cause less need to cut-across traffic and is likely to reduce congestion and the risk of collision and upset.

I would not be surprised at all if some drivers preferred lane 1 and to cut-across the traffic needlessly because some drivers "just have to be on and in the right".

If your "lane discipline" makes you prefer lane 1 then you would probably be outside of a group of drivers that were termed careful and competent. Hopefully all drivers would choose lane 2 if they were familiar with the road.

Just looked and see it is in Essex...nobody is really going to care.

greater London actually, even worse!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 09:14
Post #10

Member No.: 38,559

Purely depends on traffic.
1 gets you into the lane you want with least lane changes, would be my choice in light traffic.
2 is probably the more sensible initially but could leave you stuck in left lane when you want to be in right.

+Quote Post
Spandex
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 15:49
Post #11

Member No.: 87,665

Probably depends on what you mean by 'should'. The left lane is clearly going to be the easiest and safest as it allows you to move over at the next junction with only one further lane change. But based on the road markings alone, I guess a masochist could technically chose to go from the right lane all the way across in heavy London traffic.

Given that London drivers seem to see it as a personal failure if they allow someone change into their lane, I'd do everything I could to avoid having to hack across multiple lanes at the last second like that.

+Quote Post
Spandex
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 16:23
Post #12

Member No.: 87,665

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 10:14) *
Purely depends on traffic.
1 gets you into the lane you want with least lane changes, would be my choice in light traffic.
2 is probably the more sensible initially but could leave you stuck in left lane when you want to be in right.

I'm not so sure. This isn't marked like a spiral roundabout, with overlapping lane markings .The short white lines on the road (at the northern tip of the triangle shaped island with the planters) guide lanes 2 and 3 (the OPS lanes 1 and 2) round to become lanes 3 and 4 in the short northbound 4 lane section. The straight white line also guides cars in lane 1 and 2 on Upper Rainham Road to go straight in lanes 1 and 2 on the short northbound section. Anything outside of that counts as a lane change to me - so moving from the right hand lane at the yellow arrow over to lane 2 in the short northbound section involves 2 lane changes.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 16:39
Post #13

Member No.: 59,924

Normally or in the past I would say this doesn't matter as traffic flowing at roughly the same speed allows for merging across lanes although one may have to speed up a bit or slow down to get across. But these days a lot of drivers are just much more aggressive or bloody minded and have abandoned give and take.

Like all such junctions only experience will show what is best to do if anything. I would certainly use both lanes usually. There are also problems caused by drivers rigidly using one lane causing showdowns and tailbacks while the other lane is empty.

This post has been edited by stamfordman: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 16:42

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 21:08
Post #14

Member No.: 9,683

I would use whatever lane is empty at the time, then choose the lane I actually want when there's a space. this is London/Essex, so "country" conventions are irrelevant. whatever lane seems to be moving quickest.

+Quote Post
Formfeed
post Tue, 20 Aug 2019 - 22:15
Post #15

Member No.: 105,250

I generally base my decision on what isn't going to put me at fault if there's a crash and balance that against whatever is moving and whether I'm overtaking / finished overtaking / anything else that compels me to move left.

There are some "obvious" ones, ie. take NS in order that you are NS at the four lane thing and your OS takes the two OS but you can guarantee someone will balls that up so I wouldn't rely on it.

What would be especially annoying is that anyone NS (your 2) should really take NS when making the left as they're not overtaking anything but if you assumed that you're going to get crashed in to when they arbitrarily choose OS at the blue stripe thing for what really should amount to no reason if you're the one looking to pass.

I think it looks like it would make slightly more sense to say OS (your 1) but there are too many prerequisites to make that a good idea, most notably the assumption that you are going to exit on the right of the picture.

So therefore 2 and deal with getting over to the right for the dot later, and in the event that you have traffic there to merge in to there are fewer assumptions being made and you have time to conduct without pressuring either yourself or other motorists as you would at the split.

Although its in the south so obviously people are going to cut you up or block you because they're southerners.

So on balance I'd like to answer that I'd move to the north where we don't have silly junction like that or where we do people on the most part get on with it without crashing.

+Quote Post
Guest_Charlie1010_*
post Wed, 21 Aug 2019 - 06:35
Post #16

Guests

I don’t live in the south but the north.
The drivers are just as bad up here and there are plenty of silly junctions.

Mirror signal manoeuvre.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 21 Aug 2019 - 09:39
Post #17

Member No.: 317

I'd be in 2 to head for the yellow dot.
If i were in lane 1 a car in lane 2 could be trying to double back OR take the right hand of the two lanes towards the yellow dot, either of which is inconvenient and risks 'conflict' so I'd stick with making life easy. That said being in lane 1 wouldn't be 'wrong'.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Wed, 21 Aug 2019 - 09:48
Post #18

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 21 Aug 2019 - 10:39) *
I'd be in 2 to head for the yellow dot.
If i were in lane 1 a car in lane 2 could be trying to double back OR take the right hand of the two lanes towards the yellow dot, either of which is inconvenient and risks 'conflict' so I'd stick with making life easy. That said being in lane 1 wouldn't be 'wrong'.

The only sensible route

If you look at GSV that is IMO a good instructor (providing they want to go left at the next junction)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.564762,0....6384!8i8192

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Wed, 21 Aug 2019 - 10:10
Post #19

Member No.: 18,483

I’d let my driver worry about it.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 21 Aug 2019 - 10:54
Post #20

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Wed, 21 Aug 2019 - 10:10) *
I’d let my driver worry about it.

Worry and that and then the tap on the head with your cane when he doesn't perform to the required standards no doubt?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 19:59
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here