PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

PO Box 189, Huddersfield, HD8 1DY, Letter received - next steps?
richard701
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 12:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 57,661

I am pretty sure this isn't parking related, but am wondering if any of the knowledgeable people here can offer some advice.

A letter was delivered to my home last week with a return address of PO Box 169, Huddersfield. It says on the front 'To be opened by addressee only'. It is addressed to my ex-wife who has not lived at my address since 2003, and no longer has the same surname as me and hasn't had the same name for the last two years.

Googling the address seems to indicate that the letter is from a debt related source. I haven't opened the letter and am tempted to simply put it back in the post with a 'not known at this address, return to sender' message. However if it is debt related and the sender continues with further correspondence and ultimately court papers, then given the surname is mine, then I guess that could affect my credit and potentially invite baliffs to call further down the line.

Another option is to open the letter and call the sending party and tell them the addressee no longer lives at my address and deny having a forwarding address. The third option is to ignore, which could have the same consequences as the first option.

My first thoughts were that it was a PPC related letter as my ex's car was still registered at my address until early 2012, but her surname was spelt incorrectly on the V5 form, and this new letter has the correct spelling, or are PPC's wising up, checking the electoral role and seeing a different spelling. using that from the ER (even though my ex hasn't been on the ER since 2003).

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by richard701: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 12:59
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 12:34
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
enfield freddy
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 12:50
Post #2

Member No.: 17,975

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/rebel-sc...d-17717202.html

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/reviews/viewcomp...panyId=17717202

This post has been edited by enfield freddy: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 12:52

+Quote Post
richard701
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 12:58
Post #3

Apologies to Enfield Freddy, I couldn't manage to copy the address down correctly!

The address and title of this thread should be Huddersfield,PO BOX 189,HD8 1DY. I have changed the post title to reflect this!

This post has been edited by richard701: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 13:00

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 13:02
Post #4

Member No.: 59,097

Read this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showth....php?p=60952669

+Quote Post
enfield freddy
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 13:06
Post #5

Member No.: 17,975

yes , Fairfax , I did spot that but insisted on the other PO box number.

Fairfax DO NOT list a box number on there site.

open the letter ,

+Quote Post
richard701
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 14:01
Post #6

OK thanks ..... will see what it says when I get home later and call them depending on what it says!

+Quote Post
Gan
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 14:54
Post #7

Member No.: 27,239

We were getting DCA letters for an individual that had stayed with us for a while

Some related to addresses he had never lived but he had a common name
The letters have stopped since the alleged debts became statute barred

I didn't take any action because the DCA could have picked up his trail if they knew to look elsewhere

+Quote Post
richard701
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 15:13
Post #8

I have no intention of giving them my ex's new name or address, just don't want them coming after me.

Given she hasn't lived at my home for over 10 years, nor have I had any mail of any sort for her that wasn't car related for probably at least five years, I'm quite intrigued as to what it could be, guess I'll find out later!

+Quote Post
Wongsky
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 17:06
Post #9

Member No.: 56,507

QUOTE (richard701 @ Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 16:13) *
I have no intention of giving them my ex's new name or address, just don't want them coming after me.

Given she hasn't lived at my home for over 10 years, nor have I had any mail of any sort for her that wasn't car related for probably at least five years, I'm quite intrigued as to what it could be, guess I'll find out later!

I'd just send them back as "Not known at this address", and then I'd stop worrying about them.

+Quote Post
albert2008
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 18:53
Post #10

Member No.: 21,857

so is it PO 169 OR 189,

169 Dancing school.

189, FAIRFAX SOLICITORS for MBNA debts

FAIRFAX SOLICITORS, MERRION STREET, LEEDS, LS2 8BX, TELEPHONE NUMBER 01138233898

This post has been edited by albert2008: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 19:01

+Quote Post
richard701
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 20:53
Post #11

It's PO Box 189, and it is Lowell Portfolio I Ltd claiming that my ex owes a Utility company over £1000. They also claim they have previously written, but not to here they haven't!

This is a Utility company that I have never used, I guess she could have used them sometime in the last ten years, but have no idea how she could have moved house owing that amount of money.

Will think about my next actions (if any) overnight.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 21:07
Post #12

Member No.: 22,424

Em... I could be missing something, but...

If she owes a utility firm a massive amount, I'd assume she was getting gas or lecky at another property. Presumably a property she has lived at long after moving out of your place. With that in mind, why would they be trying to reach her at your address- whats the odds shes put down your address and tried to do a bunk from them?

+Quote Post
Gan
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 21:20
Post #13

Member No.: 27,239

Sounds more to me like she's moved out of rented accommodation and hasn't turned up on the electoral role elsewhere yet
Utility company simply sends letters to previous address if it still shows somebody with the same surname living there

It seems a large amount to be owing without steps to recover the amount via installing a pre-payment meter
Wonder if she changed suppliers and the previous one hasn't realised

The OP's response is actually quite easy :

Return the letters "not at this address, try (address of alleged debt)"
Obviously not the letter he's opened

+Quote Post
richard701
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 21:36
Post #14

I guess the chances of me (her) being able to be traced from this board are pretty slim so taking away the crypticness .....

It's a Water Company, and she now lives the best part of 200 miles away, so it's not one that I could use from here anyway. She has lived in three properties after leaving here and last moved house 18 months ago. As she is still in the same area, she will still be getting water from the same company, so I wouldn't have thought it would take a genius to put together her house moving dates to find out where she lives now.

The letter (and info from their website) from Lowell's already implies they have done credit searches on my address which although I need no new credit, could bite me in the bum should I need credit in the next few years .....

QUOTE (Gan @ Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 21:20) *
Sounds more to me like she's moved out of rented accommodation and hasn't turned up on the electoral role elsewhere yet
Utility company simply sends letters to previous address if it still shows somebody with the same surname living there

It seems a large amount to be owing without steps to recover the amount via installing a pre-payment meter
Wonder if she changed suppliers and the previous one hasn't realised

The OP's response is actually quite easy :

Return the letters "not at this address, try (address of alleged debt)"
Obviously not the letter he's opened

I did steam it so I could re-seal smile.gif

Yes she has lived in rented accommodation and is definitely on the ER, well my eldest daughter is so I presume her mother must be as well! Also given it's a water company, as far as I know you get no choice (I realise I hadn't said it was water when you posted). That water company would never have had my address though ......

As you say, might just wait for the next letter and send back, although whether these people take any notice of that I don't know ....

+Quote Post
Hotel Oscar 87
post Tue, 5 Nov 2013 - 00:38
Post #15

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 7,833

Debt information is now linked by name not address so shouldn't show in any search in your name.

--------------------
“Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a tu.rd by the clean end.” - R.J. Wiedemann, Lt. Col. USMC Ret.

+Quote Post
richard701
post Fri, 22 Nov 2013 - 10:38
Post #16

Another letter from the same place received, put straight back in the post with a 'Not Known at this address, return back to sender' message.

I wonder if I will get any more?

+Quote Post
Glacier2
post Fri, 22 Nov 2013 - 14:45
Post #17

Member No.: 1,131

Probably, as many don't seem to bother to update their records.

You might get some sort of private dick knocking around your gaff looking for info. Just be on your toes.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Fri, 22 Nov 2013 - 14:51
Post #18

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

I can't help thinking it would be a lot easier, and would get rid of this once and for all, if the OP just rang them up and (very briefly) explained the situation. They're not going to want to waste their time chasing up at the wrong address - there's no money for them in doing that.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
richard701
post Fri, 22 Nov 2013 - 15:15
Post #19

QUOTE (Fredd @ Fri, 22 Nov 2013 - 14:51) *
I can't help thinking it would be a lot easier, and would get rid of this once and for all, if the OP just rang them up and (very briefly) explained the situation. They're not going to want to waste their time chasing up at the wrong address - there's no money for them in doing that.

That has crossed my mind, but given it's my ex-wife, I don't want them to try and chase me for it. Anything official looking, then yes I will open and phone them, but my initial reason for posting was to get other's opinions on how best to handle it.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Fri, 22 Nov 2013 - 15:26
Post #20

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (richard701 @ Fri, 22 Nov 2013 - 15:15) *
That has crossed my mind, but given it's my ex-wife, I don't want them to try and chase me for it.

Why would they do that? You're not liable for debts she incurs, which they know very well.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 08:41
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here