PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Fine time limit?, Sorn
Archie MacFee
post Thu, 17 Sep 2009 - 15:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,070

OK, so today I get a weird voice text thingy, telling me to phone a particular debt collection agency about a fine. What fine? No idea. So I phone the number, and it appears that the DVLA have fined me for not renewing SORN on a car that I sold almost a year ago! Apparently they sent the fine originally to my old address. Hands up, I DID forget to inform DVLA of a change of address when we moved 2 years ago - slipped my mind as the car was just sitting on the drive not being used. So far, I have nothing in writing from DVLA to confirm the fine. What I'm wondering is; Is there a time limit on these kind of government fines?

I'd also like to add that the way SORN is managed it's just another bl***y stealth tax. You do the right thing and declare the car 'off road'. Surely that should be the end of it, until you declare it 'on the road'. Not with this government of box tickers it's not. Any chance to punish the easy targets is taken - never mind the idiots who NEVER pay road tax or insurance. mad.gif Sorry. Rant over. rolleyes.gif

Any advice appreciated.

This post has been edited by Archie MacFee: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 - 15:10
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Thu, 17 Sep 2009 - 15:08
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Archie MacFee
post Sun, 20 Sep 2009 - 15:11
Post #2

Bump!

+Quote Post
fluff34567
post Sun, 20 Sep 2009 - 15:17
Post #3

Member No.: 30,955

being the sceptical type of person i am have you spoken with someone at the DVLA or only the "debt collection" agency?

is it a debt collection agency or a baliff.... they are very different things!

baliff comes if you have been taken to court and not paid.

+Quote Post
Archie MacFee
post Thu, 1 Oct 2009 - 12:10
Post #4

It's a debt collection agency, not a bailiff. Now got a letter from the agency telling me that "the DVLA is preparing a claim against me as the registered keeper of an unlicensed vehicle". To avoid it, I must pay £80 NOW. Should I write to the DVLA? I have confirmation from them of the sale of the car.
(Sorry for late reply - been on holiday. )

This post has been edited by Archie MacFee: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 - 12:10

+Quote Post
Chas820
post Thu, 1 Oct 2009 - 13:06
Post #5

Member No.: 6,015

I have confirmation from them of the sale of the car.

Send a copy of this letter stating you were not the owner to dvla and the debt collector(keep the original)

You have not said if the car ran out of sorn BEFORE you sold it in which case it`s going to be hard to argue.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 10:10
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here