PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New 50Mph SPECS Cams on A3 In Guildford
Caritat
post Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 16:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103,217

Driving Northbound through Guildford on the A3 on Friday (29th March) I spotted two new yellow SPECS camera poles and attendant camera devices well over a mile after entering the 50mph limit approaching from the south and with no previous warnings that an average speed camera system was now in use. This contrasts with Surrey Plod's average speed camera system on the A24 between Dorking and Leatherhead where signs indicating average speed cameras are in use are posted near the entrance point to the limit, although approaching it from the south they have been posted 1 whole roundabout too early (just after the Denbies roundabout instead of just after the Burford Bridge roundabout where the first lot of average speed cams is located).

As when I previously traversed the A24 through Guildford on December 24th last year there was no such system in use and only normal speed camera signs (which warn only of occasional mobile camera van enforcement on this stretch) I was worried I had been done by this new system so did some Googling and came across this news article of 17th January 2019 at https://bit.ly/2FGRukv acknowledging that a new average speed camera system was in the course of installation and claiming that slip road improvements were also being made (although given the sharply uphill nature of the road northbound I can't see what improvement other than an additional third lane all the way through Guildford might help). Also no surprise that SPECS cameras are only initially being installed downhill on the northbound carriageway as that is where they will get their greatest number of tickets issued (as speeds of most drivers automatically rise running down a steep hill).

But as far as I could tell there were no SPECS poles or average speed camera signs at the entrance to the 50mph limit and only two poles just before and after a slip road not far from reaching the change back to National Speed Limit (70mph) going north.

So can it please be confirmed this system is still in the course of installation and testing and that I will not be getting a nasty little brown envelope dropping through my letterbox Also do we know when installation will be finished and when this system may go live for enforcement?

Also I saw no sign at all of the supposed improvements in the slip roads (although those of course they would help more when running uphill southbound) and the first I knew of any change was seeing the new yellow SPECS poles and cams totally out of the blue and with no prior warning.

Does anyone else who travels this section of the A3 more regularly know any more about this?

This post has been edited by Caritat: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 16:12
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Advertisement
post Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 16:11
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
post Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 16:40
Post #2

Member No.: 47,602

No signs are required: the system may well be live.

+Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 17:11
Post #3

Member No.: 52,178

There was publicity about it late last year. I noticed them there the other day (when doing over 50 was impossible anyway). There were no notices saying "not in use", so my presumption is that they are live and running. It may be an incorrect presumption, but why take the chance? They are only on the northbound carriageway because that's where the greater risks are.

Yes, there are also plans to improve the junction - merging from the A31 is always dicey as you get only a second or so's visibility back down the A3 to make a go/no-go decision. But that kind of thing needs a lot more time in the planning an implementation than sticking up a couple of SPECS cameras.

An additional lane from the Wooden Bridge/Stoke Junction to the Hog's Back is planned, but it's a major piece of work, and won't happen for a long time (likewise improving the A3/M25 junction at Wisley, which is the next bottleneck up the road).

This post has been edited by The Slithy Tove: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 17:15

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 22:44
Post #4

Member No.: 90,659

Probably one of the more sensible cases for cameras - that road is like a roller coaster and there have been plenty of nasty accidents over the years.

As for signage this seems to be being cut back. Ten years ago if you were driving through average speed cameras there would be repeated camera warning signs every kilometre or so. Now there is much less - perhaps they are common and obvious enough for drivers to work it out themselves.

+Quote Post
Michael Gibson
post Tue, 2 Apr 2019 - 09:58
Post #5

Member No.: 7,080

Are they live? fcukfuckfcuk!!!

+Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Wed, 3 Apr 2019 - 17:19
Post #6

Member No.: 52,178

QUOTE (Michael Gibson @ Tue, 2 Apr 2019 - 10:58) *

Sounds like you are going to be our guinea-pig to determine if they are or not. How fast do you reckon you were going, then?

+Quote Post
Michael Gibson
post Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 14:09
Post #7

Member No.: 7,080

QUOTE (The Slithy Tove @ Wed, 3 Apr 2019 - 18:19) *
QUOTE (Michael Gibson @ Tue, 2 Apr 2019 - 10:58) *

Sounds like you are going to be our guinea-pig to determine if they are or not. How fast do you reckon you were going, then?

Exactly the limit, given I don't use a nom de plume on here!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 22:18
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here