Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

GATSO camera with no road lines
blueskyboat
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:07
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,847

Hi,
I was flashed last night travelling around 66 on a 40 stretch of dual carriageway by a GATSO speed camera. The camera does not have the grid markings on the road, they were not repainted after road resurfacing a couple of years ago. Am I likely to still get a NIP and if so is it worth contesting due to the lack of the markings?

TIA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Advertisement
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:07
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:17
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (blueskyboat @ Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 15:07) *
Am I likely to still get a NIP and if so is it worth contesting due to the lack of the markings?

Yes. No.

Is definitely a Gatso? What's the location? (Some cameras work differently)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:18
Post #3

Member No.: 14,720

"Dragon's Teeth" are not required for a successful prosecution. Back office staff can use photogrammetry to confirm speed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:19
Post #4

Member No.: 5,183

The primary evidence is from the GATSO itself, i.e. the calculation of the speed using RADAR. The markings make it easy to confirm the speed but the lack of lines does not preclude prosecution. Photogrammetry can be used to achieve the same result.

+Quote Post
blueskyboat
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:21
Post #5

Thanks all. That is what I had feared! Was in a hire car so a possibly long wait to see if a NIP comes through. I am guessing that I am looking at 6 points? Am I likely to get a court summons for that speed?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:26
Post #6

66mph would be the usual point where a fixed penalty won't be offered. The speedo will be a little optimistic so you may well be ok... (3 points £100)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:28
Post #7

Member No.: 5,183

66 in a 40 is court territory by 1 MPH, but since the speedo would have almost certainly been overriding you might just be a fixed penalty.

+Quote Post
blueskyboat
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:38
Post #8

Really hope I wasnt going as fast as I think then! Never had a ticket before so a court summons seems terrifying......unless I am very unlucky will they just hand me a fine and 6 points and make me feel like crap about it? or is there worse that could happen?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:46
Post #9

QUOTE (blueskyboat @ Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 15:38) *
or is there worse that could happen?

Not really. 6 points is most likely outcome - an outside chance of a short ban. And nowadays it would probably be resolved by postal plea and no visit to court required.

...but we're jumping ahead quite a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blueskyboat
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:59
Post #10

Thanks for all the info. I know I might not even get a NIP but I feel better with all the information. Thanks again.

+Quote Post
squaredeal
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 15:09
Post #11

Member No.: 42,764

If a NIP is on the cards, you'll probably get a bill for an admin charge from the hire company before you get the NIP.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 20:22
Post #12

Member No.: 90,659

If it offers any hope as well as real cameras they can also use dummy units which flash but don't take a photo. Gloucestershire seemed to have more dummies than real cameras.

If the lines aren't painted it could be a prime location for a dummy camera. Photogrammetry is possible but obviously slightly more time consuming.

Unfortunately best way to test is to drive towards them, the dummy units are often set to flash in both directions. Obviously not possible on a dual carriageway.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 20:28
Post #13

...I did ask the OP for location as sometimes 'old style' Gatso's get updated for newer devices where the secondary corroboration marks are less obvious.

But only a NIP will clarify.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 20:28

--------------------

+Quote Post
blueskyboat
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 22:30
Post #14

The camera is on the A468 just outside Caerphilly nr Cardiff. A quick search on google suggests its an active camera.

This post has been edited by blueskyboat: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 22:44

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 13 Jul 2018 - 09:29
Post #15

Member No.: 90,659

My "best guess" as to whether they are active is to search for threads on here. There are no cases which would be unusual for a 40mph dual carriageway.

So I would say you have a good chance. Don't believe whether the police say they are "active", ours listed the burnt out ones as live for ages.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 13:19
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here