Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reported for dodgy driving
saunaboy
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 14:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104,762

Hi Everyone,

On motorway today & made a mistake - realised needed to be in left hand lane so changed lane sharply at last minute, and ended up cutting someone up. Basically, they've followed me to a service station down the road, and pulled up next to me. They said they were going to report me to the police.

Now I'm clearly in the wrong & I apologised (apart from being a bit freaked out about being confronted..). But they were adamant. Stormed off saying "expect to be contacted by the police". No dashcam on either car.

What's the deal here - I'm assuming they're going to contact the police. But what then? It was poor driving on my part & I'm givinh myself a hard time as I'm normally a right nazi about it. Can they & might they do anything. Nobody harmed & nothing damaged fortunately.

And yes I'm embarrassed about it & lesson learned.

Cheers for any help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
Advertisement
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 14:17
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 14:41
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

Wait and see if you hear anything - they have 2 weeks to contact you if you are the RK.

Appears to be careless driving but whether they actually report is another matter. Whether the police are that bothered too...

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
saunaboy
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 14:44
Post #3

Hands up - I was careless. What could happen if they do report?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 15:29
Post #4

Member No.: 317

The Police could
1/ Do nothing
2/ Take action and offer an awareness course
3/ Take action and offer a fixed penalty
4/ Take action and summons you to court where the maximum penalty is 9 points (as with any motoring offence a ban is also possible) and £1000 fine for driving without due care and attention, or a much longer ban (min 12 months) if you get found guilty of dangerous driving which is a statutory alternative to careless.

The range is so wide as to be meaningless really.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 15:31

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
saunaboy
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 15:48
Post #5

Without any evidence how likely is anything to happen? Unless they went so far to start trawling through motorway cameras etc there's nothing to go on.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 16:43
Post #6

The other driver is a witness.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
Post #7

Of course they have evidence, it’s a common misconception, but a credible witness is evidence.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Jlc
Post #8

Some people have the time to appear at court...

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 17:03
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (saunaboy @ Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 16:48) *
Without any evidence how likely is anything to happen?

About 7

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
saunaboy
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 17:15
Post #10

Seriously - any thoughts on the likelihood of this?

Appreciate the responses so far.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 17:19
Post #11

Our crystal ball is on the blink. You’ll just have to deal with what happens, if anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 17:41
Post #12

Member No.: 1,326

Without dashcam footage they will have to report it to the police and will likely have to go to Court and testify as a witness. There usually has to be an independent witness too (not another occupant of the car), according to the blurb on Police websites.

The Police might send a speculative NIP, so it would probably be worth going to Court in the unlikely event that this happens.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 18:21
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (saunaboy @ Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 18:15) *
Seriously - any thoughts on the likelihood of this?

Seriously, we don't know (and to be blunt, many of us don't care).
If you actually receive a NIP, we might be able to offer some constructive legal advice, but currently you're just wasting your time and ours.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 18:30
Post #14

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 16:29) *
dangerous driving which is a statutory alternative to careless.

Is it? Under which statute?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 20:41
Post #15

I don’t know, this is what Blackstones says
An offence of careless driving can be tried alongside an offence of dangerous driving as an alternative. However, it is not clear as to why this is done in the magistrates, court as the offence is a statutory alternative in any event

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 20:47
Post #16

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 21:41) *
I don’t know, this is what Blackstones says
An offence of careless driving can be tried alongside an offence of dangerous driving as an alternative. However, it is not clear as to why this is done in the magistrates, court as the offence is a statutory alternative in any event

Careless is a statutory alternative to dangerous (s 24 Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988) but not the other way around.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 14 Jul 2019 - 19:29
Post #17

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 13 Jul 2019 - 17:43) *
Of course they have evidence, it’s a common misconception, but a credible witness is evidence.

The police will in most instances not pursue a case based on the evidence of a single civilian witness. They could, but in practice they simply don't bother most of the time.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 15 Jul 2019 - 00:23
Post #18

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 14 Jul 2019 - 20:29) *
They could, but in practice they simply don't bother most of the time.

Not least because in the absence of some independent evidence it would be a case of "he says, she says". "Beyond reasonable doubt" seems problematic, I would suggest.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 12:09
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here