PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Jury service
cp8759
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 19:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,618

I wonder if they used a templated response when they first wrote back to him rolleyes.gif

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-47952295

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Advertisement
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 19:27
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 20:25
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

This is why the old list of exceptions was a good idea. I’m exempt for life under local law, thank god.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 20:51
Post #3

Member No.: 38,559

At least he knew the case.
My wife was called up, basically had to turn up and wait and see if her name was called, not a clue what case until it was.
Then pulled a fraud case and was told it may last up to 6 months icon_surprised.gif
Turned up the next day ready to plead insanity or whatever to get out of it, to be told the case had been postponed and the jury was excused.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 21:25
Post #4

Member No.: 90,659

I loved jury service, called in on first morning to trial, thankfully not selected, then sent home in the afternoon as they had too many jurors.

Was a student at the time so treated myself to two weeks off (obviously told employer I couldn't discuss the case). Happy days.

I'm surprised they can find anyone other than incredibly anal people and people too stupid to get a job for any long trials. Anyone with sense would work a way out of it.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 21:30
Post #5

Member No.: 59,924

If you had a judge on your jury when you did service you could make a movie called 12 Happy Men (and women).

+Quote Post
Rallyman72
post Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 12:02
Post #6

Member No.: 3,385

My Jury service lasted for 15 months, Maggie Thatcher was PM when we started and John Major when we finished. I now have a lifetime exemption. We were told the case would last for three to six months.

--------------------
The accident was caused by cockpit thrombosis - a dangerous clot between seatback and steering wheel ...

1. Read this first
2. Nip Wizard
Parking tickets - council - 0, Rallyman - 1

+Quote Post
Korting
post Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 21:40
Post #7

Member No.: 37,524

So what do you do if you've a business to run? Can you refuse to do more than 2-3 weeks? If you take a long case, does your boss have to keep your job open for you? Are you still entitled to full pay?

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 23:25
Post #8

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Korting @ Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 22:40) *
So what do you do if you've a business to run? Can you refuse to do more than 2-3 weeks? If you take a long case, does your boss have to keep your job open for you? Are you still entitled to full pay?

In theory cannot be fired for jury service and cannot lose out on pay.
https://www.gov.uk/jury-service
Someone who is self employed can defer (with letter from the boss) but cannot AFAIK refuse.
Quite what would happen or if they could put up a good case to be excused from a long case as it could jeopardise their business ???

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Thu, 18 Apr 2019 - 05:09
Post #9

Member No.: 60,602

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 23:25) *
QUOTE (Korting @ Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 22:40) *

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service
Someone who is self employed can defer (with letter from the boss) but cannot AFAIK refuse.
Quite what would happen or if they could put up a good case to be excused from a long case as it could jeopardise their business ???

If you are self-employed you can get insurance to indemnify you for losses if you are called up for jury service.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
typefish
post Thu, 18 Apr 2019 - 08:57
Post #10

Member No.: 69,758

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Thu, 18 Apr 2019 - 00:25) *

Well, I lost out on pay. Work wasn't willing to fill the gap between the jury service daily rate and my daily rate. Was rather frustrating.

This post has been edited by typefish: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 - 08:58

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 21 Apr 2019 - 14:55
Post #11

Member No.: 42,618

Going back to the story, another approach he could have taken would have been to write a letter in a personal capacity to himself in a judicial capacity asking to be excused, and then sending himself a reply excusing him from jury service.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 12:31
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here