PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Overstay charge after visit to Frankie and Benny's, 3 hour free receipt shows at F&B for 3hrs 20mins
DangerousBAC
post Tue, 24 Mar 2020 - 20:50
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108,339

I visited F&B over Christmas for a birthday celebration. I was not aware of parking restrictions of 3 hours nor until I received the penalty that my stay was over that period. I've later discovered F&B had the ability to extend the 3 hours stay but was not made aware of this at the time. I was not the only member of the party that got a penalty as there were 20 of us at the party. My sister appealed this with the parking company but did not divulge the drivers name. They cancelled her penalty. I owed up as the driver but raised the same reasons why I believe the penalty us unfair. They declined to cancel it. I have referred it to POPLA but they have said the claim is unsuccessful. I provided evidence of the cancellation of my sisters penalty and proof via a receipt of my stay at F&B.
Is there any other cause of action for me other than taken this to court?

This post has been edited by DangerousBAC: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 - 20:51
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Tue, 24 Mar 2020 - 20:50
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
ostell
post Tue, 24 Mar 2020 - 21:39
Post #2

Member No.: 60,457

Yes, the fact that there was hidden conditions in the contract, the fact that you could extend, could invalidate the alleged contract.

Just sit tight and see what happens

Gave you complained to F&B ?

It's not a penalty, it's an invoice for an alleged breach of contract

This post has been edited by ostell: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 - 21:41

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 24 Mar 2020 - 21:52
Post #3

Member No.: 49,223

Which parking company is this?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
DangerousBAC
post Tue, 24 Mar 2020 - 22:32
Post #4

Thanks for your response.
It is UKPC.
I spoke with F&B over the phone and was first told they could send an email to get it cancelled.
Then when I followed it up I was told that was not true and needed to appeal it with UKPC.

+Quote Post
DangerousBAC
post Wed, 25 Mar 2020 - 21:18
Post #5

Here was POPLA response to my claim that F&B had the ability to extend my parking but I was only made aware after I received the parking invoice:

'They advise that after being issued the PCN they were told the restaurant had the ability to extend the maximum stay time. The operator has provided a white list to show that the appellant’s vehicle was not granted the additional time in the car park.'

Today I have received the notice from UKPC that my appeal to POPLA was unsuccessful and I have 28 days to pay the invoice otherwise this will be passed to debt recovery agent and cost me another £60, so £160 in total.

What should I do.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 26 Mar 2020 - 08:21
Post #6

Member No.: 317

Write a concise letter explaining why nothing is owed and that you'll not be paying.

Be prepared for a barrage of confetti and only reply if you get a 'letter before claim/action' or a court claim form from Northants court.

Understand yo may need to defend this in court although it's very winnable.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
DangerousBAC
post Fri, 27 Mar 2020 - 19:59
Post #7

If I write a letter saying I'm not paying, would it still get passed to a debt collection agency? As this could effect my job.

+Quote Post
Dave65
post Fri, 27 Mar 2020 - 20:06
Post #8

Member No.: 78,368

Yes, they could well pass it to a debt collector but they are toothless and you ignore them.
They cannot do anything but send begging letters, they cannot take court action.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Fri, 27 Mar 2020 - 21:54
Post #9

Member No.: 9,919

QUOTE (DangerousBAC @ Fri, 27 Mar 2020 - 19:59) *
If I write a letter saying I'm not paying, would it still get passed to a debt collection agency? As this could effect my job.

Debt collectors are not ballifs and are not a threat, it will not affect your job.

QUOTE (Dave65 @ Fri, 27 Mar 2020 - 20:06) *
they cannot take court action.

???

+Quote Post
DangerousBAC
post Sun, 29 Mar 2020 - 01:20
Post #10

Thanks, One last thing. So I have a case to raise that F&B had it in there power to extend the parking stay and thus avoiding the invoivce but that information was not available to me at the time. Also though can I use the fact that my sister who also got a fine for exactly the same reason (she was at F&B with me the rest of the party) had hers cancelled by UKPC as a gester of good will even though who reasons for the appeal was exactly the same as mine the only difference is I gave the drivers name (me) she didn't. In my book everyone should be treated the same.

+Quote Post
Umkomaas
post Sun, 29 Mar 2020 - 10:32
Post #11

Member No.: 59,842

QUOTE (DangerousBAC @ Sun, 29 Mar 2020 - 01:20) *
Thanks, One last thing. So I have a case to raise that F&B had it in there power to extend the parking stay and thus avoiding the invoivce but that information was not available to me at the time. Also though can I use the fact that my sister who also got a fine for exactly the same reason (she was at F&B with me the rest of the party) had hers cancelled by UKPC as a gester of good will even though who reasons for the appeal was exactly the same as mine the only difference is I gave the drivers name (me) she didn't. In my book everyone should be treated the same.

You're flailing around and clutching at straws. Unless you can get F&B to contact UKPC and tell them to cancel, you should just sit back and see what unfolds. UKPC are mildly litigious, but seem only to pursue court claims for multiple tickets, starting around the £600 mark. I don't think you've got anything to concern yourself about, it will certainly not have any affect on your job!

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 08:42
Post #12

QUOTE (mickR @ Fri, 27 Mar 2020 - 22:54) *
QUOTE (Dave65 @ Fri, 27 Mar 2020 - 20:06) *
they cannot take court action.

???

Debt collectors cannot take court action, unless you know something new?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 08:49
Post #13

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 09:42) *

They can recommend (the scary bit) that the their principal takes court action... (But that's the last thing they actually want as they don't get paid)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 09:28
Post #14

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 09:49) *
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 09:42) *

They can recommend (the scary bit) that the their principal takes court action.

Haha, I think you mean they can suggest (to the alleged debtor) that they may think about possible you know looking at maybe suggesting to their client they take court action.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
DangerousBAC
post Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 15:45
Post #15

QUOTE (Umkomaas @ Sun, 29 Mar 2020 - 11:32) *

You're flailing around and clutching at straws. Unless you can get F&B to contact UKPC and tell them to cancel, you should just sit back and see what unfolds. UKPC are mildly litigious, but seem only to pursue court claims for multiple tickets, starting around the £600 mark. I don't think you've got anything to concern yourself about, it will certainly not have any affect on your job!

I really appreciate all the responses.

Unfortunately due to Covid 19 I can't get in touch in F&B.

So do you suggest I write to letter to UKPC saying I'm not paying and then just wait and see if they pursue this with court action?

Sorry having not been through anything like this before I've no idea what happens.
What could happen after I've sent them the letter?
Will it be first go to the debt collection agency and then when they fail to get the debt UKPC then send a court notice?
Or would it be of the back of my letter they either cancel the invoice or send a court notice?
If it goes to court how does that work?
Do I attend in person etc?

+Quote Post
Umkomaas
post Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 19:52
Post #16

QUOTE (DangerousBAC @ Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 15:45) *

So do you suggest I write to letter to UKPC saying I'm not paying and then just wait and see if they pursue this with court action?

Sorry having not been through anything like this before I've no idea what happens.
Will it be first go to the debt collection agency and then when they fail to get the debt UKPC then send a court notice?
Or would it be of the back of my letter they either cancel the invoice or send a court notice?

Cross that bridge only if you get there - likely won't, but come back if you get a formal Letter of Claim or court papers from the Northampton CCBC.

I've given you the advice you need at this stage. If you want to gain further understanding about every potential nuance, please read lots of other threads to appraise yourself. Most regulars here read almost every thread. The better informed you are, the better you'll deal with this if the worst comes to the worst. Meantime, you and your family have much more important issues to deal with.

+Quote Post
DangerousBAC
post Tue, 31 Mar 2020 - 18:57
Post #17

QUOTE (Umkomaas @ Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 20:52) *

Cross that bridge only if you get there - likely won't, but come back if you get a formal Letter of Claim or court papers from the Northampton CCBC.

I've given you the advice you need at this stage. If you want to gain further understanding about every potential nuance, please read lots of other threads to appraise yourself. Most regulars here read almost every thread. The better informed you are, the better you'll deal with this if the worst comes to the worst. Meantime, you and your family have much more important issues to deal with.

Thanks I will post an update as and when I have one.
I would just like to know if it is worth me letting UKPC know I'm not paying at this stage or not?

+Quote Post
Umkomaas
post Tue, 31 Mar 2020 - 19:08
Post #18

QUOTE (DangerousBAC @ Tue, 31 Mar 2020 - 18:57) *
QUOTE (Umkomaas @ Mon, 30 Mar 2020 - 20:52) *

Thanks I will post an update as and when I have one.
I would just like to know if it is worth me letting UKPC know I'm not paying at this stage or not?

If you don't send them a cheque, they'll get the message soon enough. But, to be fair, they'll be pretty good at working that one out!

+Quote Post
DangerousBAC
post Sun, 3 May 2020 - 16:32
Post #19

I have now received a letter from the Debt Recovery Plus now asking for £160.

Am I right that the advice would be to just ignore it and see if it is taken to court?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 3 May 2020 - 16:47
Post #20

File and ignore everything from DRP.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 21:09
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here