PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Vehicles without front number plate
youreds91
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 17:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,070

Is it just me, or are there a lot of vehicles on the road without the front number plate attached? It's usually on the dashboard visible through the windscreen. I saw 3 on my short commute home today.
Quite an effective way of avoiding speeding tickets & PPC infractions. If pulled I imagine the conversation will go along the lines of "It got knocked off in a car park officer. I'll reattach it when I get home." "OK sir, on your way then."
So what's the damage if plod decide to pursue it? FPN or something bigger?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
Advertisement
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 17:25
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 18:02
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

FPN, can't see them prosecuting unless you're involved in some far more serious criminality (stealing fuel or worse), in which case the number plate offence would be of little importance.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 18:39
Post #3

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (youreds91 @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 18:25) *
Is it just me, or are there a lot of vehicles on the road without the front number plate attached? It's usually on the dashboard visible through the windscreen. I saw 3 on my short commute home today.
Quite an effective way of avoiding speeding tickets & PPC infractions. If pulled I imagine the conversation will go along the lines of "It got knocked off in a car park officer. I'll reattach it when I get home." "OK sir, on your way then."
So what's the damage if plod decide to pursue it? FPN or something bigger?

Until the Cop has a closer look and sees the plate has been held on by screws/plastic bolts

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 19:42
Post #4

Member No.: 96,238

Isn't it legal to mount it behind the windscreen as long as it's vertical and in front of the door pillar ?

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 19:46
Post #5

Member No.: 90,659

You'd think the police should dish out something anyway.

It would be very very very very bad luck if it fell off AND you realised and picked it up AND you got pulled before you got a reasonable chance to fix it.

The number of times I've heard "if you get stopped act surprised as if it has just happens" makes me think the police must get practice at telling genuine cases from those trying it on.

Around here there are lots of people with both brake lights out, which would also suggest very very very very bad luck.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 20:13
Post #6

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (Redivi @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 20:42) *
Isn't it legal to mount it behind the windscreen as long as it's vertical and in front of the door pillar ?

AFAIK the front plate has to fixed to the front of the car, not somewhere in the middle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 20:42
Post #7

I think we have had the debate before with someone who thought it sensible to fix their front numberplate on their nearside corner.

Basically, requirements are that it is fixed to the front, front defined as if you draw a square around your car, the front.

Unless you drive a Bedford Rascal your windscreen does not double as the front of your car.

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 21:48
Post #8

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 21:42) *
I think we have had the debate before with someone who thought it sensible to fix their front numberplate on their nearside corner.

Basically, requirements are that it is fixed to the front, front defined as if you draw a square around your car, the front.

Unless you drive a Bedford Rascal your windscreen does not double as the front of your car.

"front defined as if you draw a square around your car, the front"

Eh???

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 22:59
Post #9

“relevant area”, in relation to a registration plate, means the area contained in a square
described on the ground—
(a) in front of the vehicle in the case of a plate fixed on the front of the vehicle

Parliament puts it better than me, but I suppose that's what we pay them for.

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 23:50
Post #10

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 21:42) *

That thread did contain some good information about UK number plate requirements, but I recall the case was discontinued or dismissed. The charge the police ended up going with was an illegal number plate, not that it was incorrectly located on the vehicle. And it wasn't illegal. Basically, he was prosecuted for the non-racist equivalent of "driving while black".

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Wed, 11 Jul 2018 - 07:35
Post #11

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Wed, 11 Jul 2018 - 00:50) *
That thread did contain some good information about UK number plate requirements, but I recall the case was discontinued or dismissed. The charge the police ended up going with was an illegal number plate...

I very much doubt that, charging wording tends to be a lot more precise. They would have to at the very least quote the regulation they allege was contravened.

Redivi, you might want to brush up on The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/contents/made

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Wed, 11 Jul 2018 - 08:34
Post #12

Member No.: 96,238

My Oops

Was convinced I'd read that as the regulation

+Quote Post
Unzippy
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 03:18
Post #13

Member No.: 66,323

QUOTE (youreds91 @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 17:25) *
Is it just me, or are there a lot of vehicles on the road without the front number plate attached?

Yep, most motorbikes for a start.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 07:57
Post #14

Member No.: 14,720

Amongst the "hot hatch" brigade it seems to be fashionable to run without a front plate, It's normally shoved in the front windscreen cos the law says that's ok, innit..

Apparently it looks kool at the Bluewater cruises and outside KFC on Friday night and makes your Barry Boyz Seat Corsa Gti look like race car.

This post has been edited by peterguk: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 07:58

--------------------

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 11:31
Post #15

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Wed, 11 Jul 2018 - 08:35) *
QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Wed, 11 Jul 2018 - 00:50) *
That thread did contain some good information about UK number plate requirements, but I recall the case was discontinued or dismissed. The charge the police ended up going with was an illegal number plate...

I very much doubt that, charging wording tends to be a lot more precise. They would have to at the very least quote the regulation they allege was contravened.

Redivi, you might want to brush up on The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/contents/made

...as opposed to an improperly located number plate, is what I meant. If you happen to know the specific charges for the two offenses, please do tell.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 21:11
Post #16

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 12:31) *
...as opposed to an improperly located number plate, is what I meant. If you happen to know the specific charges for the two offenses, please do tell.

--Churchmouse

That could be charged as a number of different things (because by having an incorrectly located number plate, there are a number of things you are "failing" to do). Which one they use is much of a muchness to be honest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Sat, 14 Jul 2018 - 17:28
Post #17

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 22:11) *
QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 12:31) *

--Churchmouse

That could be charged as a number of different things (because by having an incorrectly located number plate, there are a number of things you are "failing" to do). Which one they use is much of a muchness to be honest.

Whatever. The thread is here: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...112479&st=0

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
Sparxy
post Yesterday, 21:12
Post #18

Member No.: 34,394

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the fitment of "tinted" number plates too?

In the daytime they are readable, at dusk/night, they become unreadable at anything over a vehicle length in front.

+Quote Post
typefish
post Yesterday, 21:21
Post #19

Member No.: 69,758

Yeah, it seems to have proliferated in the last two months or so?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 16th July 2018 - 00:56
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.