Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

GDPR?, Seeking advice for another
andy_foster
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 09:15
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

As the other ubiquitous cover-alls (elf and safety and ooman rights) would be too much of a stretch, should we have some kind of rule, ostensibly under the guise of "GDPR innit" that we cannot discuss cases with OPs who are seeking to help a friend/relative by wasting our time playing chinese whispers?

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Advertisement
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 09:15
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cabbyman
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 10:56
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,066

That would be fun!

I want to help my mother's brother's 2nd cousin complain about a PPC breaking GDPR.

Sorry, OP, it's against GDPR for us to discuss this with you!

Which of us would be the first to break the edict of the mods??

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 11:28
Post #3

Member No.: 38,559

Everyone else seems to use GDPR as a reason to avoid anything that could possibly contravene.
Or often cos it is an excuse to avoid giving an answer.

I'm not as hard and fast as Andy on the third party queries, often we can resolve on the council forum.
But fully understand the frustration when we are not getting the full story.
Couple of recents around P&D tickets, both relations asking "on behalf of..."
Both up in arms that their dearly beloved had got a PCN when they had paid.
Both cases where tickets had not been properly displayed but took some digging to get that fact on the table.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 11:41
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

Some years ago I went to see a solicitor for advice regarding employment law. Apparently due to 'data protection', he needed to see 2 forms of ID before he could advise me based on the information I was providing.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 11:46
Post #5

Member No.: 317

As always there is a big difference between law and convenience, I'm pretty sure Andy is being tongue in cheek, but we also all know he has a pet hate for Chinese whispers.......

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 11:58
Post #6

QUOTE (andy_foster @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 11:41) *
Some years ago I went to see a solicitor for advice regarding employment law. Apparently due to 'data protection', he needed to see 2 forms of ID before he could advise me based on the information I was providing.

I had similar when I had to get accounts verified for a student loan for the lad.
Accountant "needed" the two forms of ID before he would discuss with me.
That is discuss the bank statements etc that I had provided to him.
In a way I can understand, I had provided the information without proving it related to me, accountant may have been digging into a rat's nest they should not have been.

ID is an issue for me these days, pink driving licence with no photo and an out of date passport are not what people want biggrin.gif

Unrelated but as silly as many GDPR "necessities", last year the lad (who is 27) ordered a bottle of spirits from Amazon.
Duly delivered the next day.
I answered the door to be asked for ID to prove I was over 18.
And had to be photo ID !
That I am 63, full head of grey hair and obviously old enough meant nothing to the guy.
Rules is Rules rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 12:51
Post #7

Member No.: 49,223

But I use the personal information provided in these circumstances to start direct marketing. I presume that's ok?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 13:27
Post #8

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 11:58) *
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 11:41) *

I had similar when I had to get accounts verified for a student loan for the lad.
Accountant "needed" the two forms of ID before he would discuss with me.
That is discuss the bank statements etc that I had provided to him.
In a way I can understand, I had provided the information without proving it related to me, accountant may have been digging into a rat's nest they should not have been.

That sounds more like an AML compliance issue. Certain businesses must have that information before they can act for you.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 13:33
Post #9

Member No.: 16,066

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 11:58) *
pink driving licence with no photo

Green one for me!

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 14:13
Post #10

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 13:27) *
.........That sounds more like an AML compliance issue. Certain businesses must have that information before they can act for you.

Could be.

I seem to remember he said it was needed for Data Protection but some years back and memory fades on details.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 14:24
Post #11

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (andy_foster @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 09:15) *
As the other ubiquitous cover-alls (elf and safety and ooman rights) would be too much of a stretch, should we have some kind of rule, ostensibly under the guise of "GDPR innit" that we cannot discuss cases with OPs who are seeking to help a friend/relative by wasting our time playing chinese whispers?

That would just result in OPs pretending to be the friend / relative and it would make things even worse. At least at present we know it's chinese whispers.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 14:51
Post #12

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 14:13) *
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 13:27) *
.........That sounds more like an AML compliance issue. Certain businesses must have that information before they can act for you.

Could be.

I seem to remember he said it was needed for Data Protection but some years back and memory fades on details.

In all my years of engaging with banks and lawyers I've never been asked to provide ID for data protection purposes. But these days you cannot do anything as a client of a regulated business (which banks and law firms certainly are) without complying with KYC (know your client) procedures, which are related to AML (anti-money laundering) laws and regulations.

I suspect that Andy's point about the solicitor was that even they sometimes attribute these burdensome, bureaucratic ID requirements to the wrong reasons. But, you never know...

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 14:25
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here