PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

police powers, motoring
pjb12345
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 08:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97,804

can police force us to turn on engine to listen to exhaust .can they force us to turn on ign to check all lights .I am just wondering about the legality of all of this .tia
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
Advertisement
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 08:20
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 23 Apr 2019 - 22:24
Post #21

Member No.: 90,659

Every insurer "gets away with it" because they are targeting specific groups of drivers. Totally legit. It would be like moaning that Topshop don't stock 48" waist corduroy trousers.

Subject to the Equality Act, not every business needs to give a good deal to every customer.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Tue, 23 Apr 2019 - 23:09
Post #22

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Tue, 23 Apr 2019 - 23:24) *
It would be like moaning that Topshop don't stock 48" waist corduroy trousers.

Bastards.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
typefish
post Wed, 24 Apr 2019 - 08:39
Post #23

Member No.: 69,758

Every insurer "gets away with it" because they are targeting specific groups of drivers.

Yes, that's what I said.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Wed, 24 Apr 2019 - 10:20
Post #24

QUOTE (typefish @ Wed, 24 Apr 2019 - 09:39) *
Every insurer "gets away with it" because they are targeting specific groups of drivers.

Yes, that's what I said.

You said that an insurance company was "getting away with [being an insurance company]".

Not exactly cunning plan of the year.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sat, 27 Apr 2019 - 16:23
Post #25

Member No.: 38,559

Relevant to this thread.
Police seize "uninsured" Ferrari.... despite it being insured.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-69...cial-media.html

+Quote Post
madbasshunter
post Sat, 27 Apr 2019 - 19:54
Post #26

Member No.: 46,634

[/quote]

That's the point.
De-catting will not normally be accepted as a mod by insurance companies because there is a low chance of the vehicle being roadworthy (emissions) with no CAT.
Any relatively modern vehicle with no CAT and there is a reasonable ground to believe insurance will be void.
Some companies have very strict rules, for instance Hastings quoted my youngest for her first insurance but T&Cs banned any mod, even down to a radio change. Very clear, insurance will be void.
[/quote]

I have to say in Hastings defence they covered my car, which was very modified, different suspension, brakes, wheels, engine, gearbox interior and body kit etc. When I first did some mods they tried to hike the insurance, after a strongly worded complaint they phoned me and chatted through all the mods including a decat and superchip and actually insured it for a lower price than when it was stock.

--------------------
POPLA BPA BPA Ltd BPA AOS AOS PPC PCN PE CEL

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sat, 27 Apr 2019 - 20:25
Post #27

QUOTE (madbasshunter @ Sat, 27 Apr 2019 - 20:54) *
...I have to say in Hastings defence they covered my car, which was very modified, different suspension, brakes, wheels, engine, gearbox interior and body kit etc. When I first did some mods they tried to hike the insurance, after a strongly worded complaint they phoned me and chatted through all the mods including a decat and superchip and actually insured it for a lower price than when it was stock.

The mods issue with Hastings is only with first time drivers AFAIK.
They don't want to insure a 17yo on a bog standard Clio and find that it suddenly has a 1200w sound system, lowered suspension etc.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sat, 27 Apr 2019 - 22:02
Post #28

I doubt the insurers care about the sound system that has added £35 to the value of the car.

They care about the fact that the named driver [insured under Mum's name naturally] is likely to be a chavvy little sh!t who will probably write off the car trying to impress some 14 year old they saw on the pavement.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 14:49
Post #29

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sat, 27 Apr 2019 - 17:23) *
Relevant to this thread.

Shows why you should always carry your certificate of insurance: if it had been produced at the road side but the police had trusted their computer and taken the car anyway, the seizure would have been unlawful and the police would have been liable for tortious interference with goods.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 20:17
Post #30

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 15:49) *
Relevant to this thread.

Shows why you should always carry your certificate of insurance: if it had been produced at the road side but the police had trusted their computer and taken the car anyway, the seizure would have been unlawful and the police would have been liable for tortious interference with goods.

I doubt that would work. I thought one of the insurance scams was to pay for insurance by monthly installments then cancel the direct debit after you've received the certificate.

As such your certificate of insurance is only going to be acceptable if backed by the insurance company. Assuming here they called NFU who said it wasn't, then the police seizure was correct because the driver was not insured at that time. The fact NFU retrospectively covered him is only relevant for prosecution and recompense.

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 20:47
Post #31

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 21:17) *
As such your certificate of insurance is only going to be acceptable if backed by the insurance company. Assuming here they called NFU who said it wasn't, then the police seizure was correct because the driver was not insured at that time. The fact NFU retrospectively covered him is only relevant for prosecution and recompense.

The driver said the police officer refused to speak with the insurer...

--Churchmouse

This post has been edited by Churchmouse: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 20:48

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 21:18
Post #32

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 21:17) *
I doubt that would work. I thought one of the insurance scams was to pay for insurance by monthly installments then cancel the direct debit after you've received the certificate.

It would work. The High Court said so.

What the insurers did or did not say in the conversation the police refused to have with them because they were too preoccupied with seizing a Ferrari is neither here nor there.

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 15:49) *
Relevant to this thread.

If as has been reported, the police refused to speak to the insurer, then I would say that the seizure was unlawful anyway.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 21:36
Post #33

In that case why didn't the driver call NFU? If I knew I was insured I would be on the phone.

I might have said before a few years ago I was stopped in Abingdon at midnight. Insurance fine but they said I didn't have a valid licence, car will be seized. Showed pink photocard. PNC says no. In the end I got the DVLA website on my phone before they, grudgingly, let me drive away. Was an eye opener to how any database glitch can make the documentation you have with you worthless.

Yes of course I could have got the car back next morning but it would still be hassle - plus, as I found out, there is something really annoying about police trying to take a car you are quite legally driving

+Quote Post
big_mac
post Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 21:45
Post #34

Member No.: 32,760

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 22:36) *
In that case why didn't the driver call NFU? If I knew I was insured I would be on the phone.

Did you read the article?

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 23:13
Post #35

QUOTE (big_mac @ Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 22:45) *

The Daily Mail is blocked at work. Well, I hope it is. I've never checked.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 - 23:14

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 29 Apr 2019 - 06:55
Post #36

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Mon, 29 Apr 2019 - 00:13) *

Here ya go then....
"Despite the motorist, who runs an energy firm near Burnley, ringing his insurers to confirm the motor was registered to be on the road, the seizure went ahead and police hauled it off."
"'The sergeant refused to speak to NFU Mutual. He was overwhelmed by the nature of the car he had just stopped."

Obviously only one side of the story plus whatever journalistic licence may have crept in but seems clear the driver did phone.
Paints a picture of the poor guy begging the Old Bill to speak to the insurance and the cop, stoney faced, saying "computer says no"
Of course we don't know what happened in detail, could well have been that the first words out of the guy's mouth when stopped were "WTF do you pigs want" and it went downhill from there.

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 - 06:55

+Quote Post
big_mac
post Mon, 29 Apr 2019 - 14:31
Post #37

Member No.: 32,760

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Mon, 29 Apr 2019 - 00:13) *

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1481273 ?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 29 Apr 2019 - 15:43
Post #38

Member No.: 49,223

I hope they prosecute for not having a front number plate. Heinous crime.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Guest_Charlie1010_*
post Tue, 30 Apr 2019 - 08:11
Post #39

Guests

He wants a personal apology?
Yes agreed should be reported for no front plate.

+Quote Post
Richy320
post Tue, 30 Apr 2019 - 09:03
Post #40

Member No.: 72,309

QUOTE (Charlie1010 @ Tue, 30 Apr 2019 - 09:11) *
He wants a personal apology?
Yes agreed should be reported for no front plate.

Envy never looks pretty!

--------------------
Speed does not kill. It's more to do with how you stop.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 13:51
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here