PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Compulsory left turn PCN - thanks to microscopic signage!
Tweedywonder
post Mon, 12 Feb 2018 - 15:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96,381

Afternoon all, first post on here, just seeking a final bit of advice here. On Christmas Day I arrived at a junction which had only one allowed route - a compulsory left turn into a car park... said car park was, being Christmas day, closed! Not thinking it safe to start reversing or doing U-turns at a junction, I did the only thing I could and carried on straight (the road is bidirectional, but only buses/bicycles are allowed to go straight over the junction from my side). Anyway, to my horror I received a PCN under code 32T, "failing to obey compulsory left turn (into car park)". I appealed this on the basis that the road sign supposed to stop other traffic finding themselves stuck at this junction was tiny and inadequate and that there is no opportunity for escaping this once you've turned onto this (effectively dead-end) road in the first place... all of it was brushed away with a rather feeble response to my appeal which effectively just boiled down to "the rules still apply on Christmas day" and ignored my demand for an explanation of what I should have done having wrongly turned onto this road (which in itself isn't an offence!)

Now, it was all along my suspicion that the council were well aware of this being a common issue, so I put in a Freedom of Information request to the council to find out how many people were caught out at the junction I was at in the past couple of years... over 10,000 - increasing to nearly 18 a day in 2017! I have also using Google Streetview (see below picture) found to my shock that clear signage indicating that the road is a dead-end for through traffic has been removed over the years, leaving only a minuscule sign on a route board (not the best place for critical information!)

Now, with only 48 hours to go before I lose the opportunity to pay the reduced fine... is there any point in escalating this further to the independent adjudicator, in the light of the evidence of the huge amount of people obviously caught out by this absurd trap junction and the fact signage has clearly been removed? Or is this without a hope?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

This post has been edited by Tweedywonder: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 - 15:42
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 22)
Advertisement
post Mon, 12 Feb 2018 - 15:38
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Incandescent
post Sat, 12 May 2018 - 07:04
Post #21

Member No.: 54,455

Jolly good ! Merton fail to get their ill-gotten Christmas Box. What venal and rapacious people they are !

+Quote Post
horror of godzil...
post Sat, 2 Feb 2019 - 15:43
Post #22

Member No.: 22,184

Guys.

I have received a similar Penalty Charge Notice for the exact Junction (compulsory right turn) .
I went to Wimbledon (first time) by car to pick up son from a birthday party and made this mistake.
The signs were not proper and left me hardly with any options except to make the right turn.

Goinf by the adjudicatir's reasoning, do you think it's worthwhile appealing this based on the signage ???

I will start a new thread if needed and put this as reference.

Kindly help.

Thanks

+Quote Post
John U.K.
post Sat, 2 Feb 2019 - 17:49
Post #23

Member No.: 70,515

I will start a new thread if needed and put this as reference.

Please do.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 22:48
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here