PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Vehicle towed and don't know where it is, Suspended Bay - Tower Hamlets, Sutton Street
dan0
post Tue, 3 Dec 2019 - 20:51
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,917

Hi there, my car has been towed by Tower Hamlets council, as I was parked in a suspended bay. Below is a picture of when I parked it including the parking suspension sign with no information on the dates of the suspension. I've texted and rung TRACE but there's no record of where my car is, which is also worrying.

How can I find my car and appeal whatever notice I have?

Here's the back story:
I parked the car in the bay at 1.00am Monday Dec 2nd. Normally there are no available bays at this time so I was relieved to find one. When I got out the car, I noticed the 'parking suspension' sign without any information on the dates. As it was late and there were lots of cars about, I assumed the bays were to be suspended in the next few weeks, there are loads of signs like this around my area. I thought it best to take a picture just in case.. turns out the parking suspension started that very morning.

Any help on how to find my car and appeal is appreciated!

This post has been edited by dan0: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 - 20:54
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Advertisement
post Tue, 3 Dec 2019 - 20:51
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
disgrunt
post Tue, 3 Dec 2019 - 21:02
Post #2

Member No.: 58,778

Report it stolen then.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Tue, 3 Dec 2019 - 21:13
Post #3

Member No.: 59,924

Car pound is on Commercial Raod - it's open now - call 020 7364 1360

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Wed, 4 Dec 2019 - 00:20
Post #4

Member No.: 42,618

I don't see a CEO authorising a tow based on that sign. The bay is not suspended. By all means call the pound but it may well be that the car has been stolen.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
dan0
post Sun, 8 Dec 2019 - 18:43
Post #5

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do now believe it's stolen and have reported to the police. No sign of it on TRACE still and triple confirmed that it's not in Tower Hamlets car pound. Who the hell would steal a 10yr old Aygo?!

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Sun, 8 Dec 2019 - 19:08
Post #6

Older cars are easier to steal - maybe someone who just wanted to get home.

One thing you could check is the bays and streets nearby - council could have relocated it rather than take to pound. You wouldn't find out about this til you got a notice to owner - is the V5C reg doc up to date with your current address?

And has it got a resident permit that is still current?

I would at least call council and ask them to check car reg against PCNs.

This post has been edited by stamfordman: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 - 19:11

+Quote Post
dan0
post Thu, 12 Dec 2019 - 13:12
Post #7

Interesting update, I've now recovered my car. Turns out the council hired a contractor to move it to a nearby road, but they didn't register it on TRACE. Are there any next steps people recommend taking here? I was hours away from sending my car keys, V5C etc to the insurance company to claim on my car.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Thu, 12 Dec 2019 - 14:57
Post #8

So I was right - a relocation. But did they issue a PCN? If not how did you find out?

I've just made an enquiry about TRACE - apparently if the council relocated it then they would register it but a contractor doesn't. If the contractor takes it to the pound, the pound registers it.

This is a poor show in my view and looks like it applies to you - I would think about a complaint.

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Thu, 12 Dec 2019 - 15:00
Post #9

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Thu, 12 Dec 2019 - 14:57) *
So I was right - a relocation. But did they issue a PCN? If not how did you find out?

I've just made an enquiry about TRACE - apparently if the council relocated it then they would register it but a contractor doesn't. If the contractor takes it to the pound, the pound registers it.

This is a poor show in my view and looks like it applies to you - I would think about a complaint.

Definite complaint because the council are responsible for the contractor and the relocation must be recorded with trace but lets see about a PCN first they must be dealt with separately

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
dan0
post Fri, 13 Dec 2019 - 10:55
Post #10

Thanks for the replies, no PCNs to mention luckily!

I found out by eventually emailing the parking suspension team suspensions.dispensations@towerhamlets.gov.uk - and politely asserting that my car would have had to been stole in a 9 hour window between parking and towing. This prompted them to dig into who was contracted to move the cars for the suspension (I wasn't aware they outsourced to a private company). I actually have an entire email chain from the contractor and council relaying the information about my car's location, and admitting to not knowing why it wasn't put on TRACE.

I'm sure the council are 100% responsible for the contractor. Is there much for me to gain in complaining, and how should I go about it?

+Quote Post
Mad Mick V
post Fri, 13 Dec 2019 - 11:09
Post #11

Member No.: 11,355

Use the Local Authorities Ombudsman service to register a complaint about maladministration. With any luck you will get compensation too.

Mick

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 13 Dec 2019 - 11:35
Post #12

Member No.: 317

I'd work out a 'loss' you've suffered due to this and put it to the council, if i's not a big claim then they may well view is as not worth the hassle contesting. You'll need to complain to them to get a rejection to take to the ombudsman anyway.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 15 Dec 2019 - 21:16
Post #13

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 13 Dec 2019 - 11:35) *
I'd work out a 'loss' you've suffered due to this and put it to the council, if i's not a big claim then they may well view is as not worth the hassle contesting. You'll need to complain to them to get a rejection to take to the ombudsman anyway.

+1, you must exhaust the council's complaint procedure first.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 1st October 2020 - 15:03
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.