PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Vehicle Control Services, Gallagher Retail Park Scunthorpe
Yogi_B
post Mon, 22 Feb 2016 - 11:00
Post #1

Group: Validating
Member No.: 82,397

Hello to everyone and I'm hoping for some definitive advice regarding VCS of Sheffield who operate the site at Gallagher Retail park, Scunthorpe adjacent to the ground of Scunthorpe United F.C.

I have received one of their 'invoices' after straying onto the park in a company registered van in December. The circumstances are that at the time I was employed by an agency for a well-known automotive parts company, delivering to clients all over Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and the East Midlands. Instructions had been given to meet one of the clients to drop parts with him near to the retail park, rather than at his business premises, as the parts were needed straight away. On reaching the general area it had been impossible to immediately locate the client and the van was driven onto the retail park with a view to safely stopping in order to contact him by phone and pinpoint him. I was and still am to some degree entirely unfamiliar with the area.

The vehicle was a long wheelbase Sprinter van which is unsuitable to take into most car parks because of its size but as the area in question is a quiet road, bordered both sides by wasteland. Certainly as one enters the retail park, if there were any signs about stopping at the entrance, they were not very noticeable. Furthermore, there was no painted lines on the road surface or kerbs and I believe that any signs asking people not to stop or park are situated on the wasteland adjacent to the road but are not particularly clear. A stop was made within the park, to get out of the van and to make the necessary phone call, but having read the notice I then left the area, two or three minutes later minutes later, as shown by the 'invoice'.

The company received in January an' invoice' from VCS and I informed my manager at the time that this was not a valid notice, such as from the Police or Council, and that she should inform HR to stonewall VCS who had no power to demand the driver's details. Unfortunately, and much to my anger, this advice was not followed and coming back from holiday ten days ago, I found my 'invoice' dated 4th February from VCS, as I was registered as keeper of the vehicle on that day. I might add that since the end of January, my contract with this company expired and I no longer work for them.

Now I'm no expert on all this, which is why I'm asking for advice but from what I can glean from trawling through lots of threads is that VCS are not members of the BPA which means a Popla code is not an option to appeal but they use the not so Independant Appeals Service which are seemingly some kind of kangaroo court. My gut instinct is to totally ignore them and wait for the deluge of junk mail that will inevitably follow but as I believe things have changed somewhat regarding appeals etc, I ask your advice.

I certainly have no intention of paying a penny for a necessary two minute stop on a deserted back street road on a Tuesday lunchtime in December. I can understand that because of the proximity of Scunthorpe United, on match days some kind of restriction on parking might be suitable for this area but even so asking for £100, or £60 if paid quicker, does not represent an accurate charge for parking for two hours, let alone a stop of two minutes as borne out by their ,photographic evidence'.

Your comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by Yogi_B: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 - 14:57
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Start new topic
Replies (100 - 103)
Advertisement
post Mon, 22 Feb 2016 - 11:00
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
nosferatu1001
post Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 01:23
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,642

Seems fine
You'll have seen that there are dozens of threads. The few regulars are pretty overwhelmed.

+Quote Post
Yogi_BB
post Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 06:49
Post #102

Member No.: 97,626

QUOTE (nosferatu1001 @ Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 02:23) *
Seems fine
You'll have seen that there are dozens of threads. The few regulars are pretty overwhelmed.

Thanks for that, yes it's certainly been busy over the past few days.

+Quote Post
Umkomaas
post Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 08:03
Post #103

Member No.: 59,842

QUOTE (Yogi_BB @ Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 06:49) *
Seems fine

Thanks for that, yes it's certainly been busy over the past few days years.

Fixed that for you!

+Quote Post
Yogi_BB
post Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 13:46
Post #104

Member No.: 97,626

QUOTE (Umkomaas @ Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 09:03) *
QUOTE (Yogi_BB @ Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 06:49) *
Seems fine

Thanks for that, yes it's certainly been busy over the past few days years.

Fixed that for you!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 19th November 2018 - 14:45
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.