Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mobile Vans - LTi 20-20 Speedscope, The most commonly used mobile speed camera
Mika
post Wed, 25 Feb 2004 - 09:14
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

This link will take you to a page which explains the information that appears on the LTi 20-20 Lastec traffic videos.

UPDATE 21st January 2009

Motorist beats 98mph charge

UPDATE 7th February 2007

MCN has the following.

Frank Garratt admitted the speed meter can make a host of errors including ‘slip’ error.

UPDATE 12th September

BBC Inside Out broadcast a follow-up program about the accuracy of the LTi 20-20 and a RealPlayer video of the relevant part of the programme is available for download here (38Mb).

There is a lower resolution WMV file available here. (3.68Mb)

There is also an article about this program on the BBC Inside Out Website.

Inside Out – BBC South West: Monday February 28, 2005:

NOTE A 16Mb RealPlayer clip from the programme, can be downloaded from this link.

“Mobile speed cameras are increasingly being used by the police to enforce speed limits, but how accurate are they?

We look at these cameras and see if their claims of accuracy are themselves accurate.

You may also find this recent Wiltshire case of interest - the Crown dropped the charge, rather than disclosing the traffic video.

Watch the video in this case carefully and decide for yourself. Did the motorcycle decelerate from 107 mph to 87 mph, without braking?

You may also find this US case of interest – “Laser Loses a Legal Test

We can also provide the recording as a SVCD, which will play in most DVD players.

The result of the case was as follows:

Guilty of travelling at 107 mph

Disqualified from driving for 28 days

£500 fine and £1000 costs - the prosecution asked for £2000 costs.

The defendant couldn't afford to go to appeal and in any case, at the time, Mr Garrett was the only recognised "expert" on the LTi 20/20 in this country. That may have changed now. icon_wink.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (40 - 59)
Advertisement
post Wed, 25 Feb 2004 - 09:14
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Homer
post Thu, 3 Jun 2004 - 13:26
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 248

Any news? Did the 28 May date go ahead?

Sorry if I've missed something but I can't visit as often as I would like due to this site (and a number of others) being blocked by the webfiltering software we have at work. :x

+Quote Post
Kevin Green
post Thu, 3 Jun 2004 - 18:17
Post #42

Member No.: 1,077

Why would this site be blocked by web filtering? There is not one keyword that a filter program would ban on this site! Out of interest where do you work? Perhaps I can advise you on why you are not being allowed to see this page. Also don't you have a Computer at home icon_question.gif

K

+Quote Post
broosta
post Fri, 4 Jun 2004 - 11:37
Post #43

Member No.: 1,082

I'm in the same boat as Homer on this, as my work (NHS) stops me from viewing this site. My money is on the word 'poo' being the culprit! I can't view sites such as Virgin Wines either!
One slightly odd factor though, is that for about the first week I was able to view this site and then suddenly no longer. :?

--------------------
Cheers

broosta

+Quote Post
Kevin Green
post Fri, 4 Jun 2004 - 16:31
Post #44

Member No.: 1,077

Hello there,

It looks like you are being monitered by the IT department who are checking your internet cache either as you use it through a network or by hand after you leave your desk. The word poo is very unlikely to be blacklisted as it includes Winnie the Pooh, is that illegal material?

My own Company The Orange Pages.com suffered with the education department as I had games on there for the children. Understanding that as my site is the World's official number 1 family safe search directory on the entire internet I found this typical of the namby pamby pinko liberals of this country (UK) who think that playing games is bad for children! These people need to get a life and are ususally the ones who have actually got one, a secret life on clapham common or peadophile place!

Complain to your bosses that you should be able to access the internet as long as it is in your own time. Don't be afraid to ask why these sites are restricted. Freedom of speech is not against the law and neither is the freedom of search. My own eductated guess is that the software they have is so semantically flawed that it cannot differentiate words sufficiently so as to allow relevant material through. Although Virgin? isn't that a slang word for an untouched 'vagina', can you access that medical term? I don't mind these filters being crap as it is the reason why my Directory is so succesful. We use Human Editors who review with the Human Eye and not words or skin tone, this is the ONLY way to keep a search safe, period, and then even we have difficulty keeping pace with the constant change.

Buy a P.C. at home and view this site that way your interests are private and do not impinge on your work. Also sign up as a registered user as you never know when you will want these guys help. Even NHS Staff can get caught speeding by BIG BROTHER!

K

BIG BROTHER IS DEFINATELY WATCHING YOU! icon_eek.gif

+Quote Post
OU812
post Mon, 7 Jun 2004 - 14:32
Post #45

Member No.: 1,120

Or see if you can access the site via an [anon] Proxy

+Quote Post
thamesvalley
post Tue, 15 Jun 2004 - 09:31
Post #46

Group Icon

Group: Bad Boyz & Girlz
Member No.: 995

+Quote Post
HissingSid
post Wed, 16 Jun 2004 - 09:59
Post #47

Member No.: 1,271

Hi,

One reason that they may not wish to release the full tape is because some operators record on tape their pre and post "shift" distance and alignment checks. If these show an error which the operator failed to notice then the whole tape would be invalidated.

Some operators do not record the checks on video and only note that they have been done them in a "note book" (If they remember). I get the impression, from a serving traffic constable, that the Police are aware that the LTI 20:20 is not infallible..

If/when you get access to the whole tape make sure you look to see if the alignment and static distance checks have been done correctly. If you think that they may have been get an expert to look at it.

Good luck

Sid

+Quote Post
Mika
post Fri, 18 Jun 2004 - 07:53
Post #48

Group Icon

Hi Sid,

I have just looked in the meaning of the phrase “not infallible” in my ‘police’ to English translation dictionary, and found the following:

“completely unreliable piece of junk” icon_redface.gif

Incidentally, that may not be the reason that they don’t want to disclose the whole tape. Can you make it to Cardiff Crown court on Monday? icon_wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HissingSid
post Fri, 18 Jun 2004 - 09:19
Post #49

Member No.: 1,271

Hi Mika,

Sorry I'm up in North Yorkshire and can't get down to Wales on Monday.

Best wishes

Sid

+Quote Post
DW190
post Sun, 20 Jun 2004 - 23:08
Post #50

Member No.: 436

POSSIBLE VOLUNTEER EXPERT WITNESS

Sit Sit Fetch It

--------------------
DW190

BLUNT PENCILS ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN SHARP MEMORIES

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||
|www.PePiPoo.com_||'""|""\_____
|_________________||__ |__|____|)
|(@) |(@)""**|(@)(@)**|(@)|(@)

Frequently Asked Questions

+Quote Post
Glacier2
post Mon, 21 Jun 2004 - 09:45
Post #51

Member No.: 1,131

Mika, Sign Him Up Now!

+Quote Post
Homer
post Thu, 24 Jun 2004 - 20:50
Post #52

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (Kevin Green)
Why would this site be blocked by web filtering?  There is not one keyword that a filter program would ban on this site!   Out of interest where do you work?  Perhaps I can advise you on why you are not being allowed to see this page.  Also don't you have a Computer at home icon_question.gif  

It's not a one-word thing, there has been a creeping block on anti-scamera sites. And I don't think it is being done by my employer. I think the webfiltering software is controlled from outside. Big Brother may well be watching. icon_eek.gif

As for asking why. Knowing the jobsworths who have control it wouldn't be worth asking. Besides which I'm not supposed to be using it for personal use, even though business use probably accoubts for .0001% of internet usage.

I work for a financial organisation for what it's worth.

I do have internet access at home but very little spare time. At work I have plenty of spare time.

+Quote Post
ianfusa
post Fri, 6 Aug 2004 - 08:39
Post #53

Member No.: 1,473

What does an LTi 20/20 operator have to do to get rid of an Error 03 message. Is simply holding the scamera steady enough to do it?

Ian

+Quote Post
sjpage
post Wed, 11 Aug 2004 - 09:21
Post #54

Member No.: 356

May be of some use or interest

Some states limit or restrict laser radar use. A New Jersey Appeals Court upheld (in a 2-1 decision) a lower court ruling (based on the LTI Marksman 20-20 lidar) that leaves in place restrictions on laser radar use. New Jersey Troopers can only use laser radar in clear weather and for targets less than 1000 feet.
Sources:
-- National Motorists Association NEWS, Jan/Feb 2000, vol 11, issue 1.
-- STATE OF NEW JERSEY v. EMAD A. ABESKARON, A-107-98T2F, 24 Nov 1999

http://planet.nana.co.il/4x4xm/LTI_20-20/p...USA.htm#summary

+Quote Post
Mika
post Fri, 27 Aug 2004 - 17:10
Post #55

Group Icon

Hi all,

Do you think there's any chance that they were using the “dodgyscope”? icon_eek.gif .... icon_redface.gif

Man disproved police speed claim

--------------------

+Quote Post
DW190
post Fri, 27 Aug 2004 - 18:56
Post #56

Member No.: 436

West Yorkshire Police declined to comment.

Perhaps Mr Brainstorm would like to make a comment. After all his bib cop for more than any other force for a comparable area.

--------------------
DW190

BLUNT PENCILS ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN SHARP MEMORIES

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||
|www.PePiPoo.com_||'""|""\_____
|_________________||__ |__|____|)
|(@) |(@)""**|(@)(@)**|(@)|(@)

Frequently Asked Questions

+Quote Post
Mika
post Wed, 1 Sep 2004 - 10:05
Post #57

Group Icon

Halleluiah,

Guess what?

We have e-mail about this case from one of the partners in law firm in question - he was requesting technical assistance.

Wait for it….

The police were indeed using the LTi 20-20 dodgyscope in this case. icon_redface.gif

Does anyone need any further evidence rolleyes.gif..... icon_wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob_Sprocket
post Wed, 1 Sep 2004 - 11:53
Post #58

Member No.: 1,341

Hi Mika,

Is there any way that we can get evidence of this which is admissible?

Best wishes

Bob

+Quote Post
matt1133
post Wed, 1 Sep 2004 - 14:25
Post #59

Member No.: 1,017

in my opinion they will just claim that maybe that particular camera was at fault/policeman did something wrong in operating it etc, could the motorist order an independant investigation or something similar

--------------------

+Quote Post
anton
post Wed, 1 Sep 2004 - 15:23
Post #60

Member No.: 1,514

You could write to the CPS and ask for all LTi 20-20 dodgyscope cases to be reviewed. Copying it, of course to a load of news papers. even better if you can get the fiat punto in on a press conference!
that should bring more cases out of the woodwork

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 14:48
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here