Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Speeding?
Stu.sti
post Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 00:03
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,384

Hi everyone. New to the forum smile.gif

I'm from central Scotland and I was traveling down the a1 to Newcastle last weekend (friday 9th nov) when I was flashed by a camera. I was doing just below 70mph on my speedo and I braked quickly when I seen the first flash. It was a 60mph limit.
I have a couple of questions. I haven't received any letters about it yet. Is there a chance I broke in time? Or has it got me after the first flash? Do all the cameras have film etc and I've been reading a few topics on here that say It will be invalid if I don't receive anything after 14 days, is this true? I am the registered keeper and have had my car for almost a year. Thanks in advance, stu
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Advertisement
post Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 00:03
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 02:08
Post #2

Member No.: 22,424

Alrighty!

Not all cameras have film in them- some just have flash guns or something in them, so as to scare you.

If your speedo was showing just under 70 before you were infront of the camera, it probably was still over-reading, so hopefully you were in reality doing under the 68mph they start doing folk at.

There is the 14 day rule, however its exceptionally rare that the authorities fall foul of this nowadays.

Did this happen on the A1 in Scotland or England? If in England you'd probably get offered a speed awareness course instead of points.

+Quote Post
Stu.sti
post Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 02:13
Post #3

Thanks for the reply mate. It happened in England. So I'm guessing that if I don't hear anything by Friday I've had a lucky escape? Fingers crossed until then lol

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 02:15
Post #4

Member No.: 22,424

Pretty much mate. As long as your address etc haven't changed recently then your in the clear. In fairness they're usually pretty quick sending these out so you'd probably have already heard if you'd been caught, although as you say, your not safe till Friday.

+Quote Post
Stu.sti
post Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 02:57
Post #5

Nothing's changed. I thought as much. I was checking the back of the front door every day as soon as I got home from work, expecting a fixed penalty through the door! Roll on Friday lol. Cheers dude

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 09:21
Post #6

Member No.: 49,223

The 2 flashes are quite close together (0.5 second on faster roads) so you would have not achieved any meaningful deceleration after the first flash if that's what you reacted to. The first flash means the unit has already clocked your speed. Presuming this is a gatso then the distance moved over the marked lines is used as secondary evidence to confirm the reading.

There's nothing you can do at the moment other than to see if that 'Notice of Intended Prosecution' arrives. (The usual first step is for the driver to be identified before penalties are offered)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Stu.sti
post Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 17:16
Post #7

If I was flashed, does that mean 100% that I will receive a nip? Still nothing in the post today...
I know its a waiting game really but I'm just trying to put my mind at rest. Been worrying about this since last Friday. I'm not 100% on my speed. I just know it wasn't over 70. I've heard people say you get of with 10% over. Is there any truth in that? Thanks

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 17:22
Post #8

Member No.: 49,223

No a flash isn't a guarantee of being caught.

The usual point for further action is +10%+2mph (So 79mph in a 70)

(Technically, 71 in a 70 is speeding)

This post has been edited by Jlc: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 - 17:23

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Stu.sti
post Tue, 20 Nov 2012 - 17:09
Post #9

Cheers mate. Still no letter today, its looking good smile.gif knowing my luck tho it will come Friday morning! Lol

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 01:31
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here