Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Flashed at (100mph+or-) on M25 at 1am on Saturday night
DavinciGod777
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 08:58
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,790

Hi everyone,

I was flashed on the M25 around Epping anti-clockwise last Saturday night at about 1:10am at I believe 100mph, although I think I was at about 98..? (I have no idea literally, I could’ve also been doing 110. Who knows?)

I certainly have no excuses for doing this apart from being tired, not checking my speed and having a 1.6l Diesel auto gearbox- the car reaches 100 just too easily.
I was on lane 1’(or 4) the slowest lane with no traffic around me at all.
The weather was very good.
I’m used to passing those cameras at around 80-85mph at night and never seen a flash, although I have been flashed 2 times in the past around Heathrow doing 80+ but never received an NIP.
However this time, I must’ve been doing 100mph if not plus and I’m stressing out a lot.
Mainly because of my dad (I’m 20) will be the first to see the letter, he will kill me and I’ll loose all trust and confidence he grew for me until now.
Personally and mentally, I am ready to taken on any punishment the court has to give me but I’m not ready to take on my father’s anger at all.
Sorry I’ve diverted a bit from the topic but going back to it, considering the time of the incident, traffic conditions and weather, will the judges be considerate or the fact that I’m 20, have had my licence since November 2015 will affect their judgement?

I also have 3 points on my licence, back in January, an average speed camera caught me doing 59 instead of 50.

And when shall I let my insurance know about my points?

I also do need my car for work but I will be able to prove that on a letter.

If I was to receive an NIP, do you guys think I should enclose an apology letter?

Thanks in advance guys for your answers, I’m stressing out too much at the moment

This post has been edited by DavinciGod777: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:23
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 08:58
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:03
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (DavinciGod777 @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:58) *
...have had my licence since November 2017 will affect their judgement?

There's specific guidance for Magistrate's not to issue a ban to circumvent the New Drivers Act. So 6 points is the likely outcome and your licence revoked.

I also have 3 points on my licence, back in January, an average speed camera caught me doing 59 instead of 50.

This is mostly irrelevant.

And when shall I let my insurance know about my points?

It depends on the conditions of your insurance. Many are at renewal but some require notification earlier, especially if you are disqualified or have your licence revoked.

Licence revocation is an administrative matter by the DVLA - there's no 'hardship plea'. You can beg with the court to issue a ban to avoid revocation but, as above, that's a long shot.

If I was to receive an NIP, do you guys think I should enclose an apology letter?

It will make no difference - the matter will be referred to court.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
AntonyMMM
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:09
Post #3

Member No.: 37,614

Wait and see if anything come through the post - although it sounds like it will. If the car is registered to your father, then he should receive the notice .

The penalty will depend on the exact speed, but it won't be less than 3 points, so as you have held a licence for less than two years your licence will be revoked and you will need to retake your test.

It may work out better for you if your speed is 100+, because that might just get the court to give you a short ban, rather than points. The effect on your insurance is going to be significant either way, when you have to tell them will be in the T&Cs of your policy, it will either be on conviction or at renewal.

An apology letter is a waste of time, it will make no difference, and don't try suggesting that you drove at 100mph or more without realising - you will just appear ridiculous.

This post has been edited by AntonyMMM: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:13

+Quote Post
DavinciGod777
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:21
Post #4

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:03) *
...have had my licence since November 2017 will affect their judgement?

“There's specific guidance for Magistrate's not to issue a ban to circumvent the New Drivers Act. So 6 points is the likely outcome and your licence revoked.”

Really sorry, I was meant to write November 2015 and not 2017 I’m pretty I have passed the probation period and I can have up to 12points on my licence? So if I was to have 6 points, it wouldn’t be revoked?

It will make no difference - the matter will be referred to court.

Okay and do you think I should attend the court hearing with a lawyer?

Thanks a lot for the fast responses.

QUOTE (AntonyMMM @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:09) *
Wait and see if anything come through the post - although it sounds like it will. If the car is registered to your father, then he should receive the notice .

The penalty will depend on the exact speed, but it won't be less than 3 points, so as you have held a licence for less than two years your licence will be revoked and you will need to retake your test.

It may work out better for you if your speed is 100+, because that might just get the court to give you a short ban, rather than points. The effect on your insurance is going to be significant either way, when you have to tell them will be in the T&Cs of your policy, it will either be on conviction or at renewal.

An apology letter is a waste of time, it will make no difference, and don't try suggesting that you drove at 100mph or more without realising - you will just appear ridiculous.

Apologies, I mistakenly said November 2017 but I had my licence in November 2015 (God, times passes so fast haha)

So I will be receiving 6 points on my licence right?

Which is worse for insurance, a ban or 9 points on the licence, although I’m aware I cannot choose my punishment, I am still curious about it.

This post has been edited by DavinciGod777: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:18

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:22
Post #5

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (DavinciGod777 @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:21) *
do you think I should attend the court hearing with a lawyer?

A lwyer is not necessary for a guilty plea. Save your money for the fine and costs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AntonyMMM
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:27
Post #6

Member No.: 37,614

You can't get more than 6 for speeding, but it could be a ban instead - all depends on the measured speed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:33
Post #7

Member No.: 317

And bus fares.....

You can guide the court towards what you want, but nothing is certain, wait until you have the NIP and know the alleged speed first, up to 95 will be a fixed penalty.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:36
Post #8

Apologies, I mistakenly said November 2017 but I had my licence in November 2015 (God, times passes so fast haha)

Which is worse for insurance, a ban or 9 points on the licence, although I’m aware I cannot choose my punishment, I am still curious about it.

In that case there's a high chance of a ban if well over 100 - but 6 points still possible.

In terms of insurance, a ban will likely impact more but 6 more points ain't gonna be cheap either. But as noted only a NIP arriving will reveal - there's a big difference in the outcome from 95 to 110mph...

This post has been edited by Jlc: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:38

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
DavinciGod777
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 09:47
Post #9

I really hope I was doing 95mph, I can’t believe that they are driviers out there middle lane hogging at 70mph, causing a hell of a lot of traffic and being so much more dangerous than someone driving at 100mph in my opinion, they’ll simply never get prosecuted for that. Our motorway laws a seriously out of date and need some rethinking.

Unfortunately, the amount of money these Hadecs generate is outrageous...

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:36) *

In that case there's a high chance of a ban if well over 100 - but 6 points still possible.

In terms of insurance, a ban will likely impact more but 6 more points ain't gonna be cheap either. But as noted only a NIP arriving will reveal - there's a big difference in the outcome from 95 to 110mph...

I will let you know what the NIP says once I receive it, it will be a long 2 weeks of stress...

Thanks for all the info to everyone and will come back with more info

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:05
Post #10

QUOTE (DavinciGod777 @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:47) *
it will be a long 2 weeks of stress...

If your Dad is the RK, he will need to complete the S.172 naming you. You will then reeive your own NIP.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:15
Post #11

Voluntary donations really? Its not like the speed isn't entirely in the driver control in 99.99% of cases?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
DavinciGod777
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:37
Post #12

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:15) *

Voluntary donations really? Its not like the speed isn't entirely in the driver control in 99.99% of cases?

What I mean is, if the government is really about security on our roads, they should concentrate on other matters rather than speeding (on motorways)

But yes, we can definitely call it a unvoluntary volentary donation dry.gif

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:18) *
Saying that there are other worse drivers isn't really relevant to mistakenly driving at circa 100mph. The fact you are "blaming" it on among other things driving a 1.6 diesel is - er - cute bearing it really is tiny on a modern car.

Any further points at this stage would likely lead to the magistrates giving you a six month totting ban without declining a fixed penalty, if you value your licence at this stage you need to learn from your mistake. Apart from the court penalties and your Dad going off on one it is easy to become uninsurable at your age unless your Dad has deep pockets to bail you out.

No no, I’m not blaming it on other things at all, I take full responsibility for the mistake of being caught “forgetting about the speed camera”

I’m just trying to say that, drivers not respecting the motorway line system is far more dangerous than doing 100mph but this is just my personal opinion.

And yes, I will definitely learn from this and stay off cameras for the next 4 years.

Now a days a 1.6L Diesel engine of 110bhp is pretty quick from 80mph to 100mph.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:41
Post #13

QUOTE (DavinciGod777 @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:37) *
I’m just trying to say that, drivers not respecting the motorway line system is far more dangerous than doing 100mph but this is just my personal opinion.

These may well be true but not things you want to say to the Mags...

--------------------

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:42
Post #14

Member No.: 23,623

When you say you've had your licence since November 2015, is that the date you first passed a driving test?

+Quote Post
DavinciGod777
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:05
Post #15

QUOTE (NewJudge @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:42) *
When you say you've had your licence since November 2015, is that the date you first passed a driving test?

Yep, First time pass in November 2015 and already going to have 9 points in my licence... such a shame sad.gif

+Quote Post
DavinciGod777
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:47
Post #16

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 12:31) *
Bearing in mind your attitude you'd probably be better hoping for a short ban. Most people potentially one offence from losing their licence for at least six months, possibly more depending on whether you can afford insurance with a totting ban, would be driving like a nun for at least two weeks to see if Dad gets a letter.

I will 100% be driving like a nun for the next 2 weeks and if I do get 6 points in my licence.
Insurance is a problem I will worry about in March next year, I’m aware my premium will significantly increase.

Back in France or in Sweden, whenever my relatives received a speeding ticket, they would simply write a letter back saying they didn’t know who was driving at the time of the incident. What would happen if I said that in the UK (I have no intentions of doing in my case by just simply curious. They do get away with as the case is always dropped.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:54
Post #17

QUOTE (DavinciGod777 @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 12:47) *
I will 100% be driving like a nun for the next 2 weeks

Sounds like you need to be driving like a nun (or for giggles, try driving within the law) for a lot longer than 2 weeks.

What would happen if I said that in the UK

you'd be heading in the direction of 6 points and hefty fine.

This post has been edited by peterguk: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:55

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:54
Post #18

QUOTE (DavinciGod777 @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:37) *
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:15) *

What I mean is, if the government is really about security on our roads, they should concentrate on other matters rather than speeding (on motorways)

But yes, we can definitely call it a unvoluntary volentary donation dry.gif

The issue is that policing by camera is a lot cheaper than cars and officers cruising, while I don't necessarily support the use of cameras in the way they are, the benefits versus cost is hard to argue, you get to travel on an unrestricted motorway at up to 78.99mph (device reading less than 79) without penalty and then up to 86.99mph (reading less than 87) will get you a course, that reasonably covers most people speeding, doing over that you either no darn well your speeding or shouldn't really be driving if you don't. I'm not saying I don't speed (it would be a lie) but at least do it with an intelligent risk assessment - I last got caught in 1990 (at night, police car came down the slip road as I went past). Travelling at those speeds on a motorway well known to have a HADECS infestation falls firmly into the 'rather silly' (less polite versions also exist) category!

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:58
Post #19

Member No.: 38,559

............Back in France or in Sweden, whenever my relatives received a speeding ticket, they would simply write a letter back saying they didn’t know who was driving at the time of the incident. What would happen if I said that in the UK (I have no intentions of doing in my case by just simply curious. They do get away with as the case is always dropped.

In UK you get charged with failing to furnish details which is worth 6 points on its own plus fine.
Defence is that you made all efforts but you need to prove this to magistrates.
Overall, not a good idea.

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 12:05
Post #20

Member No.: 23,623

QUOTE (DavinciGod777 @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 12:05) *
Yep, First time pass in November 2015 and already going to have 9 points in my licence... such a shame sad.gif

Well at least you don't have the "New Drivers' " regulations to worry about. If your speed was 95mph or below you should be offered a Fixed Penalty (£100 and three points). If it was around 100 (as you seem to suspect) you can look forward to six points. Only if it was significantly over 100 is a ban likely, and even then, unless it was excessively so, the court would probably lean more towards six points because it will leave you on nine until January 2021.

If that is the result (or even if it is not) I think you will have to seriously reflect on your driving habits and in particular your approach to speed limits. A number of things you have said stand out:

... I believe 100mph, although I think I was at about 98..? (I have no idea literally, I could’ve also been doing 110. Who knows?)

You should know what speed you are travelling at (and the prevailing limit).

See above
No no, I’m not blaming it on other things at all, I take full responsibility for the mistake of being caught “forgetting about the speed camera”

And yes, I will definitely learn from this and stay off cameras for the next 4 years.

You seem to be under the impression that speed limits only apply in the vicinity of cameras. Not a very good strategy.
I’m used to passing those cameras at around 80-85mph at night and never seen a flash, although I have been flashed 2 times in the past around Heathrow doing 80+ but never received an NIP.

Where the limit is 70 enforcement begins at 79mph. If you continue to pass cameras at 80-85mph you will almost certainly end up on the wrong end of more points. If you face a “totting up” ban you should not for one minute depend on avoiding such a ban. Loss of employment alone (whether you can prove it or not) is not generally a sufficient reason to avoid a ban. If you need your car that much you will have to go easy on the gas (whether you agree with the “outdated” motorway speed limits or not). If you don't I fear you will be back here for advice on how to avoid a "totting up" ban.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 24th September 2018 - 14:35
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.