Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

M6 HADECS 3 - STRANGE ?
sidestickbob
post Sat, 1 Jun 2019 - 12:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,288

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone might be able to throw some light (excuse the pun) on a rather odd experience I've had with a speed camera (HASDEC3 I believe???) recently.

I was travelling northbound on the M6 between J11 and J13. I was cruising along at about 60MPH (as I always do - I want fuel economy!) in the inside lane. I noticed that the overhead gantry signs were indicating a lane 1 closure so I moved over to lane 2. About a mile or so later (just before the roadworks) I noticed the gantry in the distance was indicating a 50MPH limit (lanes 2, 3 and 4) so I slowed to exactly 50 on the speedo (which gave about 48 on the GPS). Other vehicles next to me in lanes 3 and 4 did exactly the same so before too long we were all neck and neck merrily cruising along at just under 50. We all passed under the gantry together and suddenly......flash (2 actually over about a second).

TBH what surprises me about this is that I'm absolutely sure non of us were speeding! If one of the guys next to me was going a bit too fast I wouldn't even be thinking about this because I would just assume that they must have set it off but as I'm pretty certain we were all at the same speed (and under the limit) I can't understand whats happened and why the camera flashed.

I thought about contacting the Highways Agency to report a possible fault but not sure whether to or not.

Any thoughts appreciated.

This post has been edited by sidestickbob: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 - 20:00
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Advertisement
post Sat, 1 Jun 2019 - 12:05
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 13:29
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

I've had confirmation that these cameras reboot once a day and as part of that, they run a self-test which includes flashing the light. What time did this happen?

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
sidestickbob
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 16:52
Post #3

About 8-20pm ish

+Quote Post
Aiden
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 19:13
Post #4

Member No.: 103,503

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 14:29) *
I've had confirmation that these cameras reboot once a day and as part of that, they run a self-test which includes flashing the light. What time did this happen?

Could it have possible been that the OP went under the gantry as soon as the speed limit was reduced to 40MPH thus causing the flash being a smart motorway. In effective the speed limit was broken but there was no time to react. I've heard a few police forces give about a 2 minute leniency window on smart motorways with speed limit changing with HADEC cameras so when the images come through to a human to review there normally binned.

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 19:16
Post #5

Member No.: 5,183

Not likely, there is a period (~30 seconds or so) after a change to a lower limit where the new limit is not enforced. This is automatic and not manually operated.

This post has been edited by BaggieBoy: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 19:17

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 21:37
Post #6

Member No.: 42,618

Normally the cameras reboot in the middle of the night, but I suspect it's simply a self-test.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
sidestickbob
post Tue, 4 Jun 2019 - 20:00
Post #7

Thanks for the info folks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Wednesday, 13th November 2019 - 22:42
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.