Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Caught doing 101mph on motorway, Mrs was caught speeding
Prop91
post Tue, 7 Aug 2018 - 17:59
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,284

Hello chaps (and ladies)

My Mrs was recently caught speeding just outside Silverstone on the motorway, she had just picked up a new car and went with a group of friends, they all sped off and she's didn't want to get lost so took off after them, ended up being caught at 101mph by manned equipment. she doesn't plan on using this as mitigation or an excuse.

She has admitted to the offence and it is pending court summons.
She has 2 small children and I work long hours so she needs the car to get kids to school and their activities ect, she also needs the car for work as she has to go round many horse livery fields.

Does anybody know what a likely outcome of this will be?
Also we live in Poole but she was caught so far away, will we get local court or will it be in the county she was caught?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Tue, 7 Aug 2018 - 17:59
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Tue, 7 Aug 2018 - 19:18
Post #2

Member No.: 5,183

It will almost certainly go through the Single Justice process, so she will have the opportunity to plead guilty by post and have the case considered without being there. There is a high possibility that the case will be referred to a full hearing, in which case she will have to appear. This will be heard at a court local to the force where the alleged offence was detected.

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Tue, 7 Aug 2018 - 19:33
Post #3

Member No.: 23,623

Guidelines for speeds of 101mph and upwards suggest a ban of up o 56 days or six points. Six points is the likely outcome. If that is so your wife's case will be concluded by the Single Justice process. She will also pay a fine of a week's net income (assuming a guilty plea), a surcharge of 10% of the fine (Min £30, Max £170) and £85 costs.

Just for information, strictly speaking she has no right to make a plea of "Exceptional Hardship" along the lines you mention when facing possible disqualification for a single offence. That facility is only available for "totting up" bans. Having said that, if she does find herself in such a position the court will always listen to what she has to say.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 7 Aug 2018 - 21:27
Post #4

Member No.: 90,659

Does she already have points on her licence?

If three recent ones she may need to think about whether sitting on nine points is going to work if she does a lot of miles. She will need to drive like a nun - sometimes a short ban can be preferable. You don't have the choice but you can try and lead the court one way.

If she already has six plus then she will definitely need to convince them of a ban or, as the magistrates sentencing guidelines advise against a ban when points would result in a totting ban, a good exceptional hardship plea to avoid a six month ban.

If she goes there in future, Thames Valley have always, without fail, had a van somewhere nearby on the M40. I go there quite a bit for corporate hospitality and I would bet my house on it. I always wince as you see plenty of people doing 100-ish approaching.

+Quote Post
Prop91
post Wed, 8 Aug 2018 - 15:07
Post #5

Member No.: 99,284

Thanks guys.
No she has no points and has never been convicted or even pulled for anything.

She's stressing out really badly that she's gonna lose her licence,
Her weekly income is 170 from her apprenticeship.
We had an NIP and now had a letter confirming she's pled guilty and it's going to court.
I'm guessing it's quite likely she will have to appear, but hoping they may hear it without her as she's scared shirtless and just wants it all to go away, I don't mind paying the fine or her insurance going up, just don't want her stressing out so badly,

Thanks ms for the help guys

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Wed, 8 Aug 2018 - 15:10
Post #6

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (Prop91 @ Wed, 8 Aug 2018 - 16:07) *
and now had a letter confirming she's pled guilty

Are you sure that's what you've received?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 17:02
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here