4 Speeding Tickets in two weeks
Dave28
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 12:23
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,873

Hi all,

I need some advice.

My wife has managed to get 4 speeding tickets (SP30) in two weeks from the same camera. All were 34 or 35MPH in a 30. She has no excuse, it was just that they turned it on and she got caught out. It is one of those roads that feels it should be faster, but she has no excuse.

We were hoping she would get an awareness course, but we found out today that she didn't qualify as she did one less than 3 years ago.

I guess we have to go to court, but what should we do? It would be really bad for our kids if she lost her license as they would be the ones to suffer as they will miss after school clubs, activities etc as she would not be able to take them.

Should we get a lawyer? or try and plead our case ourselves.?

thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 12:23
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 12:47
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

Have you asked the Force to consider dropping some of the offences given that she wasn't given an opportunity to regulate her driving. (Presuming all of the offences occurred before the 1st NIP was received) Basically, a begging letter.

Otherwise, it's a visit to court with an exceptional hardship plea. The impact on others carries more weight. The general advice is to present your own hardship case. (But others have sworn on representation)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 12:49
Post #3

Member No.: 317

You (well she) can present a case for exceptional hardship should sh be banned for the normal 6 months to reduce (potentially to zero) the period of disqualification, there is no need for an expensive legal professional for that and arguably it comes better from the person involved (who would have to attend anyway).

Are you sure some of the cases are for 34 as normal enforcement starts at 35, we've had anecdotal reports of some below that but never any evidence.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Dave28
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 13:37
Post #4

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 13:49) *
Are you sure some of the cases are for 34 as normal enforcement starts at 35, we've had anecdotal reports of some below that but never any evidence.

Sorry, you are right. It was 3 x @35mph and 1 x @ 36mph

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 13:49
Post #5

Slightly annoying as enforcement begins at 35mph. What stage is she at? (Has the driver been nominated?)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Dave28
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 13:50
Post #6

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 13:47) *
Have you asked the Force to consider dropping some of the offences given that she wasn't given an opportunity to regulate her driving. (Presuming all of the offences occurred before the 1st NIP was received) Basically, a begging letter.

Otherwise, it's a visit to court with an exceptional hardship plea. The impact on others carries more weight. The general advice is to present your own hardship case. (But others have sworn on representation)

Thanks both for the feedback.

No, all offences happened before we got the first NIP.

We haven't accepted responsibility yet for the last 3 NIPs as we were waiting to see if she was offered the course, now we know we haven't, we shall respond back with the last 3 NIPs and do as you say, write a letter asking if they would consider dropping one or more of them.

We have also spoken to a lawyer who says she has a very good case, mainly because of the above. It won't be cheap though.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 14:36
Post #7

Send all three back together and reference the first as well, add a covering letter, we have seen cases were police forces will drop one or two as a gesture of goodwill, will be still likely left on 9 and having to drive like Miss daisy is in the car for 3 years though.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Dave28
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 14:43
Post #8

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 15:36) *
Send all three back together and reference the first as well, add a covering letter, we have seen cases were police forces will drop one or two as a gesture of goodwill, will be still likely left on 9 and having to drive like Miss daisy is in the car for 3 years though.

We'd take that!!

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 15:31
Post #9

QUOTE (Dave28 @ Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 14:50) *
We have also spoken to a lawyer who says she has a very good case, mainly because of the above. It won't be cheap though.

Sorry, a good case to 'drop' some of the offences or the EH plea?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 07:26
Post #10

Worth a read here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave28
post Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 08:02
Post #11

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 16:31) *
QUOTE (Dave28 @ Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 14:50) *

Sorry, a good case to 'drop' some of the offences or the EH plea?

The lawyer advised that the EH was the best route to go, but he did say it was possible for them to drop one of the NIPs, and said it was worth a go asking.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 08:07
Post #12

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (Dave28 @ Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 09:02) *
he did say it was possible for them to drop one of the NIPs, and said it was worth a go asking.

You don't need to pay a lawyer to do that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave28
post Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 08:45
Post #13

QUOTE (peterguk @ Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 09:07) *
QUOTE (Dave28 @ Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 09:02) *
he did say it was possible for them to drop one of the NIPs, and said it was worth a go asking.

You don't need to pay a lawyer to do that.

Absolutley, I am just drafting the apology letter and will send it off with the 3 NIPs we have left.

Fingers crossed!

If they do drop one it would be amazing, my poor wife is driving everywhere at 20mph at the moment as she is so paranoid she will get caught again.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 09:26
Post #14

Just keep it short and simple, do not attempt in any way to try and justify the actions, just inattentiveness, been a wake up call, much more aware now, had no chance to moderate her driving before receiving the first NIP etc.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Fri, 14 Sep 2018 - 10:07
Post #15

Member No.: 39,245

QUOTE (Dave28 @ Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 09:45) *
Absolutley, I am just drafting the apology letter and will send it off with the 3 NIPs we have left.

Fingers crossed!

If they do drop one it would be amazing, my poor wife is driving everywhere at 20mph at the moment as she is so paranoid she will get caught again.

If she is still able to drive, then does your car have cruise control? If not it is worth changing the car for one that does and she may find it a bit easier to stay at the correct speed whilst watching the road.

Don't rely on 10%+2 over, just drive at the limit.

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Fri, 14 Sep 2018 - 13:15
Post #16

Member No.: 60,602

QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Fri, 14 Sep 2018 - 11:07) *
QUOTE (Dave28 @ Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 09:45) *

Fingers crossed!

If she is still able to drive, then does your car have cruise control? If not it is worth changing the car for one that does and she may find it a bit easier to stay at the correct speed whilst watching the road.

Don't rely on 10%+2 over, just drive at the limit.

I always have TomTom with over limit warnings running on my phone even on short journeys like to & from work. In fact it's the familiar journeys where you are on automatic pilot when it is all too easy to creep up over the speed limit & a klaxon from the satnav is a useful reminder plus it gives me warning beeps at known speed camera locations.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
Dave28
post Sat, 20 Oct 2018 - 11:14
Post #17

Update!

I sent off the letter to the police with the three NIPs with an apology letter.

Amazing news, they decided to cancel two out of the three NIPs! This means she gets 6 points only.

My wife is so relieved and thanks to all who offered advice. It is hugely appreciated.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sat, 20 Oct 2018 - 11:17
Post #18

That is a good result!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 20 Oct 2018 - 17:59
Post #19

Good result, shows that despite the perception they are not all evil automatons!

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
SC86
post Thu, 8 Nov 2018 - 11:47
Post #20

Member No.: 100,831

Hi All,

Can I ask which county was this in please. I am in a similar position and petrified that I am going to lose my license.

Im currently waiting for the NIP's to arrive in my name as they have gone to my employer.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 07:10
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here