PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Ooops! I completely forgot to buy a Pay & Display ticket...
Stripy
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 13:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96,629

Hello all,

This is a first for me. I parked on the roadside fully intending to get a pay and display ticket (£2 for two hours) but I forgot and realised only when I was returning to the car 90 minutes later. I wasn't surprised to see a PCN when I got there! I have 14 days to pay £35 or challenge the ticket before it goes up to £70. Has anyone requested that a PCN be cancelled as a goodwill gesture before and how did you get on with this?

My situation... I suffer from the after effects of a brain injury, and after a bang on the head last week I have some executive dysfunction and am finding it hard to multi-task. I was parking up to get some private treatment for this. I had a call from my daughter's school that I needed to drop in homework she'd forgotten, then had a call that childcare arrangements had changed, and after I'd texted to sort this out I walked away from the car to my appointment, completely forgetting about the pay and display ticket!

I also hadn't been able to process that our electric car had needed charging and that I could have parked in a nearby electric car bay and avoided all of this pay and display business!

I haven't had a PCN for about 13 years or so. I spent the last of my overdraft on the treatment and have less than a pound to my name, so really can't afford the fine. My fear is that if I do request a goodwill gesture that they decline, then I'll have to pay £70!

Any suggestions about how to proceed would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Advertisement
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 13:12
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 13:24
Post #2

Member No.: 38,559

Post the PCN and a location from streetview please.

Generally if you challenge, even with a plea for discretion in the discount period, councils re-offer but let's see what we are dealing with please.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 13:24
Post #3

Member No.: 59,924

You can ask of course but it is unlikely they would use discretion. Post the PCN - there may be something wrong with it.

My concern is you driving with the "after effects of a brain injury, and after a bang on the head last week"...

+Quote Post
spaceman
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 17:32
Post #4

Member No.: 11,319

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 13:24) *
You can ask of course but it is unlikely they would use discretion. Post the PCN - there may be something wrong with it.

My concern is you driving with the "after effects of a brain injury, and after a bang on the head last week"...

+1

Are you sure you should be driving? Has your doctor given you the ok? Don't want to see your insurance invalidated on top of this.

+Quote Post
Stripy
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 19:26
Post #5

Thank you for your replies and for picking me up on the safety of me driving! It's something I'm extremely mindful of and it's really good to see that you're looking out for that. The brain injury was six years ago and I didn't drive for more than a year afterwards. I don't drive after a bang on the head and my executive dysfunction issues in the following days are brought on by stress, which is what I felt once I'd parked up and was juggling childcare. Just to clarify, if I'm feeling stressed out in this state I don't drive or if I get stressed when driving I'll pull over until I'm calm enough to carry on. I've seen doctors numerous times over the years for this and they've never once suggested I stop driving.

The PCN is attached. Street View: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@50.82560...3.96h,-7.57p,1z

+Quote Post
Slapdash
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 19:41
Post #6

Member No.: 86,040

QUOTE (Stripy @ Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 19:26) *
Thank you for your replies and for picking me up on the safety of me driving! It's something I'm extremely mindful of and it's really good to see that you're looking out for that. The brain injury was six years ago and I didn't drive for more than a year afterwards. I don't drive after a bang on the head and my executive dysfunction issues in the following days are brought on by stress, which is what I felt once I'd parked up and was juggling childcare. Just to clarify, if I'm feeling stressed out in this state I don't drive or if I get stressed when driving I'll pull over until I'm calm enough to carry on. I've seen doctors numerous times over the years for this and they've never once suggested I stop driving.

The PCN is attached. Street View: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@50.82560...3.96h,-7.57p,1z

In my experience they never seem to cover all aspects of driving. Whilst the consultant may advise not to drive I have never been advised that I should notify the DVLA.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 19:48
Post #7

No PCN - try putting it on Imgur or Flickr and post links.

This is Brighton, my home town and not known for its largesse with PCNs so I wouldn't hope for discretion.

+Quote Post
Stripy
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 20:46
Post #8

Slapdash, Thanks for the DVLA link. I'll follow that up.

stamfordman, Hullo fellow Brightonian! Here's the PCN

This post has been edited by Stripy: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 - 21:13

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 21:58
Post #9

Member No.: 74,048

Ask Brighton for the traffic management order

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
hcandersen
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 22:34
Post #10

Member No.: 21,551

Having a 17 reg car and not having a penny to your name make me wonder whether you are the registered keeper of the vehicle. If you are not, then ultimately they and not you are liable for the penalty.

+Quote Post
Stripy
post Tue, 20 Feb 2018 - 04:49
Post #11

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 21:58) *

Please could you let me know what a traffic management order, and how would it help?

QUOTE (hcandersen @ Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 22:34) *
Having a 17 reg car and not having a penny to your name make me wonder whether you are the registered keeper of the vehicle. If you are not, then ultimately they and not you are liable for the penalty.

Nice thought! My girlfriend is the registered keeper. We got a really good deal on PCP for an ex-demo Leaf, which works out cheaper each month than we were paying for petrol on our last car

+Quote Post
mdann52
post Tue, 20 Feb 2018 - 10:38
Post #12

Member No.: 86,499

QUOTE (Stripy @ Tue, 20 Feb 2018 - 04:49) *
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 21:58) *

Please could you let me know what a traffic management order, and how would it help?

QUOTE (hcandersen @ Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 22:34) *

Nice thought! My girlfriend is the registered keeper. We got a really good deal on PCP for an ex-demo Leaf, which works out cheaper each month than we were paying for petrol on our last car

Ok, if it's on PCP, the hire company are likely going to be held liable when the NtO is sent until they can transfer liability over to you (as this seems to be a windscreen ticket?). This means there is another stage for the council to mess up - however, you will be hit with a charge from the rental company

This post has been edited by mdann52: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 - 11:01

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Tue, 20 Feb 2018 - 10:57
Post #13

I'm surprised Brighton doesn't allow free parking for electric cars.

Anyway, with the PCP involved and given you don't seem to have any grounds for challenging the PCN I would pay the discount rather than get embroiled in a pointless paperwork struggle that could end up with paying the full amount plus an admin charge.

This post has been edited by stamfordman: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 - 11:04

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Tue, 20 Feb 2018 - 11:33
Post #14

Member No.: 96,238

As a rule of thumb, when a lease, hire or company car is involved, always try and prevent the council or parking company contacting the registered keeper

Most councils automatically reject the informal appeals to a windscreen ticket and, if not paid, will send a Notice to Owner
The admin charge from the hire company will usually exceed £35 whether or not your formal appeal later succeeds
You may not even have the chance to appeal if they pay the Notice and pass on the charge

I would pay now at the discount

+Quote Post
Stripy
post Thu, 22 Feb 2018 - 21:12
Post #15

Thanks for all your advice and guidance folks! It's payday soon and I'll pay the £35 then.

I'm going to chat more with my doctor about driving and contact DVLA too.

Best wishes all!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 17:05
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here