PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What Sat Nav?
smstextaddict
post Sat, 19 Nov 2005 - 14:54
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,002

Im currently using a tomtom for work but want a cheap one for myself, what ones do you all use and has any one got/tried a garmin Streetpilot I3, if so whats it like and do you recommend it?

cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Advertisement
post Sat, 19 Nov 2005 - 14:54
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Rallyman72
post Sun, 20 Nov 2005 - 10:35
Post #2

Member No.: 3,385

I'm using a Navman PiN 570 which is a combined PDA and SatNav. It has a built in GPS receiver. Not the cheapest. It is portable so easy to take out of the car when parked and is therefore less likely to be stolen. The latest crime in my area is nicking SatNavs - they aren't even bothering with radios now.

The only downside to the unit is that it only deals with the first 5 digits of any postcode. I haven't, so far, found this to be a problem. The routing can be set up to maximise or minimise motorway use. As a result it can, sometimes, be rather insistent that you use motorway when there is a more direct route. Strangely it even plotted a route for me when I was about 3 miles from the nearest public road in the middle of Clipstone forest and it plotted the forest tracks accurately.

GPS co-ordinates can be displayed instead of the mapping and as such it canalso be used when walking or hiking. Overall I am satisfied with the unit.

There is a camera database available as a free download for all pda based units. It is updated monthly and, although it relies upon input from users to keep the database up to date, I have found it to be accurate so far, in fact more so than the Morpheous Geodesy GPS unit I was using for camera warnings previously. The Morpheous system also relies upon updates from users but I no longer have the confidence in it that I did at one time.

--------------------
The accident was caused by cockpit thrombosis - a dangerous clot between seatback and steering wheel ...

1. Read this first
2. Nip Wizard
Parking tickets - council - 0, Rallyman - 1

+Quote Post
smstextaddict
post Sun, 20 Nov 2005 - 21:12
Post #3

Member No.: 3,002

Well I went out and bout for 169 the garmin i3, ok its not an all singing dancing machine, but for 169 quid it does the job quite well and takes the pocketgps database too.

My works tomtom is still the better of the two but that is twice the price and does have to be handed back in when you take holidays from work.

At the end of the day you (in theory pay for what you get) but for £169 you cant go wrong (even if its slightly quicker and easier to use a tomtom). biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
sgl
post Mon, 21 Nov 2005 - 21:24
Post #4

Member No.: 3,758

I bought a Nokia 6680 smartphone £200 off Ebay....TomTom Mobile on a smartcard £40 Ebay and a GPS BlueTooth antenna £45 Ebay.
Works a treat,has all the scamcams programed into it and is updateable.
I have a cracking state of the art phone and satnav for under £300.

icon_wink.gif

+Quote Post
audiquattro
post Mon, 21 Nov 2005 - 21:28
Post #5

Member No.: 3,855

I use panasonic's dvd sat nav with gps, downside is it doesn't do speed readings but then it is 5 yrs old icon_redface.gif

+Quote Post
smiffy451
post Thu, 24 Nov 2005 - 17:18
Post #6

Member No.: 3,677

I have a 2nd hand Mio 268 available for sale if you are interested. Also a tested procedure to get tomtom working on it if you prefer that to the supplied software.

+Quote Post
jdfi
post Thu, 3 Jan 2008 - 15:06
Post #7

Member No.: 13,384

Can anyone recommend anything where you are able to enter the height of a vehicle, and it take bridges etc into account?

Question from a client, wanting to do a "present" for a few of his truck drivers (that they can also use in their own cars).

--------------------
Everyone on this forum (even those who may be professionally qualified as something) give advice that is their laymans' opinion. This is given without liability. Everyone will assume you are telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and try to assist you if they can. Photos of signs/the area and scans of documents can help. Never throw anything away even if trivial! Tell all your friends about PePiPoo please!

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Thu, 3 Jan 2008 - 16:12
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

I've seen a "Trucker's POI" file for TomTom, although I forget where I saw it.
Dunno excatly what data it contains, but I'm sure that low bridges are a feature.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
saracengb
post Thu, 17 Jan 2008 - 20:45
Post #9

Member No.: 16,574

These people claim to do a range of TOMTOM POI files - including low bridges for trucker's if it helps

http://www.tomtomfree.com/

and also there's http://www.hgvsolutions.com/

HTH

Phil

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 16:36
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here