PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[NIP Wizard] Can I admit guilt to a lower speed?
Hooli
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,571

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - September 2018
Date of the NIP: - 3 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 4 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A631 East Bawtry Road near Bent Lathes Avenue
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I traveled home from work as normal by motorbike in good weather on dry roads.
I regularly see mobile speed traps on this road as I use it most days therefore I don't exceed 50mph in the 40mph zone, I'll admit to those speeds but no the claimed 60mph.
I didn't see the officer but looking at the location they'll have hid behind a large hedge & got me as I traveled away from them.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:33:48 +0000

Hi all,

As above really, I accept I might have been speeding but not to the extend claimed. I see way too many speed traps on that road to risk doing 50% over the limit. I recall reading about 'Newton hearings' in the past, are they still a thing I can try for?

The location of the trap in Rotherham (heading approx. NE btw) is a few hundred yards after a roundabout so I might well have passed a slow car indeed they often swap lanes incorrectly on the exit/actual roundabout there & it happens so regularly I just make sure I'm not too near to them when they next attempt to have an accident.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:39
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
andy_foster
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:41
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

In response to your question (cunningly hidden in the thread title for those not paying attention) - "Can I admit guilt to a lower speed?"

Technically, yes but not at this stage. If you allow the speeding allegation to go to court, you can enter a 'Newton Plea', which admits the offence (exceeding the speed limit), but disputes the alleged material facts.

However, for 60mph in a 40mph limit, you would receive the same offer of a fixed penalty as you would for 50mph in a 40mph limit (ignoring the fact that the police would have invited you to bribe them to drop it if the allegation was 50mph). The penalty for 50mph in a 40mph limit in court would almost certainly be greater than the fixed penalty.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:48
Post #3

Member No.: 49,223

Would a Newton Plea apply to an 'exact' speed measurement?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Hooli
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:50
Post #4

Thank you, a fixed penalty I'd accept as I believe my speed was probably about right for one of those.

My concern is when I've looked at guidelines on other sites (such as the RAC) they suggest over 57mph is too high for that in a 40zone.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:55
Post #5

Member No.: 49,223

Fixed penalty upto 65mph. Course up to 53mph. (Inclusive)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Hooli
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:59
Post #6

QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:55) *
Fixed penalty upto 65mph. Course up to 53mph. (Inclusive)

Thanks. Where is that from? as I've not seen the same 'limits' elsewhere online. I'm not doubting you, I know how useful this forum is & has been to me in the past.
The guide I've been finding in other places suggests COFP is only upto 57mph.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:03
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Hooli @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:59) *

What places would that be?

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
Hooli
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:07
Post #8

QUOTE (andy_foster @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 20:03) *
QUOTE (Hooli @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:59) *

What places would that be?

This solicitors for starters https://vhsfletchers.co.uk/new-speeding-penalty-guidelines/
If you google 'what is the penalty for 60 in a 40' you get a link to the RAC showing the same (but if you follow the link their site is broke & you never get to the table).

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:20
Post #9

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (Hooli @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 20:07) *

I see no mention of CoFPs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hooli
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:51
Post #10

You're right now I've gone back & reread it after your comment.

I guess I wasn't reading the details properly earlier due to being annoyed.

Just to delay things as long as possible so I get the 0.000001p interest on the £100...

I assume the 28 days to respond starts on the date of the S172 notice & it has to be with them by the 28th day?

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:59
Post #11

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Hooli @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 20:51) *
Just to delay things as long as possible so I get the 0.000001p interest on the £100...

I get over 1p a day on £100, you need a new bank.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Hooli
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 20:15
Post #12

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 20:59) *

I get over 1p a day on £100, you need a new bank.

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 23:02
Post #13

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (Hooli @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:50) *
Thank you, a fixed penalty I'd accept as I believe my speed was probably about right for one of those.

You'd also have to have a good reason for your belief. "I never ride 60 in a 40" is not a very convincing argument, so if that was the entirety of your evidence I'd expect the court to thank you for your guilty plea and sentence accordingly.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
matssundin13uk
post Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 13:15
Post #14

Member No.: 38,459

QUOTE (Hooli @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:39) *
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - September 2018
Date of the NIP: - 3 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 4 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A631 East Bawtry Road near Bent Lathes Avenue
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I traveled home from work as normal by motorbike in good weather on dry roads.
I regularly see mobile speed traps on this road as I use it most days therefore I don't exceed 50mph in the 40mph zone, I'll admit to those speeds but no the claimed 60mph.
I didn't see the officer but looking at the location they'll have hid behind a large hedge & got me as I traveled away from them.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:33:48 +0000

Hi all,

As above really, I accept I might have been speeding but not to the extend claimed. I see way too many speed traps on that road to risk doing 50% over the limit. I recall reading about 'Newton hearings' in the past, are they still a thing I can try for?

The location of the trap in Rotherham (heading approx. NE btw) is a few hundred yards after a roundabout so I might well have passed a slow car indeed they often swap lanes incorrectly on the exit/actual roundabout there & it happens so regularly I just make sure I'm not too near to them when they next attempt to have an accident.

Are you sure you had just come off the roundabout? I know this area well and you would be hard pressed to get to 60mph off Worrygoose roundabout.

I'd be more inclined to believe that sort of speed if they'd caught you coming round the corner from Brecks, towards Whiston.

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 15:24
Post #15

Member No.: 23,623

What more do you need to know?

As explained in post #2, you do not have the opportunity to challenge the speed alleged at this stage. As well as that, post #5 explained that fixed penalties are offered for speeds up to 65mph in a 40mph limit. So whether you were travelling at 60mph as alleged or at your estimate of 50mph makes no difference. But to take advantage of the fixed penalty (£100 and three points) you must accept the allegation as it stands.

Newton hearings are held when a matter goes to court and the sentence would be materially different depending on which version is accepted. Your choices are quite clear. Provided you respond to the request for driver's details in time you will almost certainly be offered a fixed penalty. You can accept that by sending £100 and your licence as instructed. Alternatively you can turn that down and opt for the matter to be dealt with in court. There you can plead guilty and request your Newton Hearing on the basis that you believe you were travelling at only 50mph. If the court rejects your argument you will pay a fine of a week's net income (reduced by a third for your guilty plea), a surcharge of 10% of the fine (minimum £30), £85 costs and you will receive a minimum of four points. In the unlikely event your argument is successful your fine will be only half a week's net income, the surcharge and costs will remain the same and you will get three points. So, on the basis you earn £400 per week, these are the most likely outcomes:

Accept the fixed penalty: £100 and 3 points
Successfully argue you were travelling at only 50 mph: £248 (£133 +£30 + £85) and 3 points
Unsuccessfully argue you were travelling at only 50mph: £382 (£267 + £30 + £85) and Minimum 4 points.

So, why would you want to complicate matters and end up paying two and a half times more than you need to (and in all probability almost four times as much)?

This post has been edited by NewJudge: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 19:02

+Quote Post
BertB
post Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 15:32
Post #16

Member No.: 51,087

QUOTE (matssundin13uk @ Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 14:15) *

Hi all,

Are you sure you had just come off the roundabout? I know this area well and you would be hard pressed to get to 60mph off Worrygoose roundabout.

No, he said he was a few hundred yards after the roundabout and he was on a motorbike. I don't think he would be hard pressed to hit 60mph on a dual carriageway over that distance.

+Quote Post
Hooli
post Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 19:15
Post #17

I'd be more inclined to believe that sort of speed if they'd caught you coming round the corner from Brecks, towards Whiston.

Completely sure, given the time of the ticket I'd just left work so would have crossed the roundabout before being caught.

Thanks all for your help with this. I'd misread guidelines I found online & thought it was going to be a court appearance. I'll leave it for as much of the 28 day period as possible & then send the form back & accept a CoFP as seems to be expected for the claimed speed.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 19:27
Post #18

Group Icon

I assume the 28 days to respond starts on the date of the S172 notice & it has to be with them by the 28th day?

Don't assume - it does not appear to be something that you are particularly adept at.

The 28 days begins with the date of service (that day is day 1). Service is assumed to have been performed 2 working days after posting for first class post (unless proven otherwise).
The required information must be served on them (delivered) by day 28.

Whilst a slightly late response is unlikely to result in prosecution for failing to provide the information, sticking 2 fingers up at them by leaving it as late as possible will either have absolutely no effect whatsoever, or end up causing you more grief. To paraphrase Sun Tsu - pick your battles.

--------------------
Andy

+Quote Post
matssundin13uk
post Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 20:37
Post #19

Member No.: 38,459

QUOTE (BertB @ Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 16:32) *

Hi all,

No, he said he was a few hundred yards after the roundabout and he was on a motorbike. I don't think he would be hard pressed to hit 60mph on a dual carriageway over that distance.

The only problem being Bent Lathes is a few hundred yards from the roundabout, at the most!

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 21:47
Post #20

Member No.: 23,623

Is there any doubt that the where the OP was driving was subject to a 40mph limit?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 14:23
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here